Kelechi Osemele Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFOREVER, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Obviously he doesn't want to play. What kind of performance do you think a player who doesn't want to play will give? Sending him out there would be ridiculous.

hornblower likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to be fair darnold was cleared 2 days later. it was that close. no different then a player being a game time decsision. gase isn't dumb, he knew we weren't going to win with falk at QB no matter how many reps he got. for darnold it was nothing more then a waiting game waiting to see when his spleen went down, which you can't really predict. he was close and cleared to practice, he just wasn't cleared for contact. he got cleared for contact 2 days too late play.

3. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Alex Lewis is out with a neck injury

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Should we force him to play?

Acad23 likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Jon Gruden was right

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

How do I explain Gase's no prep with Falk?

Easy. He thought Darnold would be cleared by doctors and be able to play.

What made him think he would play? Well, Darnold said he felt great and he, himself, fully expected he would be cleared. He was cleared 2 days past Sunday. I'd say Gase and Darnold were both very close in thinking he would be cleared.

Either way, Gase and Darnold expecting him to be cleared is not the same thing as forging a medical document to allow him to play when it was deemed unsafe to do so. That's what the Jets organization is being accused of in this situation.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Here's an article from Newsday that explains both sides of the story. Sounds like Osemele is right, both the Jets doctor and his own say surgery will be necessary...but not now:

By Al Iannazzone
    al.iannazzone@newsday.com Updated October 18, 2019 6:32 PM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Kelechi Osemele said Friday that he needs shoulder surgery. The Jets don’t agree. The two sides are at an impasse, but that could change very quickly.

The Jets have not authorized Osemele to have surgery, according to a source familiar with the situation. The source said team doctors examined Osemele and discovered he has a pre-existing condition in his shoulder and that he can continue to play through it.

Osemele, 30, sought a second opinion, which confirmed what the Jets’ doctors found, the source said. Both doctors said Osemele is clear to play and there is no obligation to have surgery at this time, according to the source. If it’s a major issue, Osemele can have surgery after the season.

But now, Osemele will have to return to practice Saturday or he will be subject to fines or suspension by the Jets for conduct detrimental to the team, the source said. Jets officials planned to have that conversation with Osemele on Friday.

On Friday afternoon, Osemele said he tore his labrum during training camp, and he's been in “pain every day.” He said both doctors recommended surgery and he’s waiting for the Jets “to release the worker’s compensation form." But Osemele said there’s been “butting heads” as the Jets haven’t been communicating with him or his agent.

“I’m just trying to get this done and get this behind me,” Osemele said. “I’ve done everything I can. I’ve been at work every day, been up at 5 in the morning, doing the rehab and the treatments and stuff like that. I’m doing everything I can.

“I’m working with my agent. We’re communicating with the team. There’s just not communication with the team with my doctor and my agents. It’s just been butting heads for whatever reason. Hopefully, it gets resolved soon.”

The Jets are responsible for paying for surgery if they deem it’s necessary, the source said. In this case, if Osemele elects to have surgery, the team will not cover the expenses.

“The team doctors told me that I need surgery,” Osemele said. “My second opinion told me that I need surgery. I think they want me to play through the injury.”

“It always falls on the player's health,” Osemele added. “If the player’s injured and requires surgery, ultimately it’s not the team’s decision whether or not he can have surgery. It’s the doctor’s opinion. Since we’ve had two doctors say that I need surgery, ultimately it’s out of their hands.”

The eighth-year guard has been dealing with a number of things since the Jets acquired him from the Raiders in the spring. Osemele suffered a pec injury in the preseason and he’s had an ongoing knee issue. But an illness and then the shoulder issue popped up in Week 5.

The timing of the shoulder was curious since it was when Adam Gase planned to make changes to the offensive line coming out of the Jets’ bye week.

Osemele hadn’t performed well and was going to be replaced by Alex Lewis. That week, Osemele showed up on the injury report with a shoulder injury. He said it’s affecting his “strength, stability, I can’t lock my arm out, I can't stop a guy from bull rushing.”

The coaches have been impressed with Lewis. So even if Osemele was fully healthy, he might not play unless the Jets need a body. They might Monday against New England, which is one of the reasons they want Osemele practicing Saturday.

Left tackle Kelvin Beachum isn’t expected to play Monday because of an ankle injury. Center Ryan Kalil hurt his shoulder in practice Thursday and was limited in practice Friday. If Kalil can’t play, Jonotthan Harrison would start at center. Brandon Shell would replace Beachum, and that would leave only Tom Compton as the backup for all five offensive line spots.

The Jets acquired Osemele and a sixth-round pick from the Raiders for a fifth-round pick, hoping the former All-Pro would help bolster a line that had some holes. That didn’t happen, and either way, his time as a Jet will be limited. Osemele is signed through next year, but his $11.4-million salary is not guaranteed.

By Al Iannazzone al.iannazzone@newsday.com

8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

A big part of the NFL's success is deceiving the masses into believing it is actually genuine athletic competition, when in fact, it is nothing but athletic theatre. Injuries, among many other things, are a part of this deception.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Lmao!

Oh this story is even better now!

He has a torn labrum!? Please! This is right in my ballpark.

I tore both my labrum and my rotator cuff, which normally go hand in hand. In my case, I tore the rotator cuff first.

Majority of labrum tears do not require surgery at all. Normally the doctor will recommend anti inflammatory drugs and rest. The reason there is surgery is when it is accompanied with another injury, such as a torn rotator cuff, which again, happens often with each other.

If all he has is a torn labrum, likely a small tear based on the article, he definitely does not require surgery and can continue playing. Especially if he has built up scar tissue around the injury after having it as long as he has

10. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2019/10/18/jets-in-escalating-feud-with-kelechi-osemele-over-shoulder-surgery/

The Jets and guard Kelechi Osemele are engaged in a standoff over whether the player needs shoulder surgery.

Osemele has not played or practiced since the Sept. 22 game with the Patriots. Osemele said Friday that he needs to have season-ending surgery on his shoulder for a torn labrum, but the team will not authorize it.

The Jets feel Osemele does not require surgery immediately. Two doctors determined Osemele had the injury before this season and can play through it and possibly have surgery in the offseason, according to a source.

Osemele said he first injured the shoulder on Aug. 5 during a training camp practice and then re-injured it while making a tackle after an interception against the Patriots.

“It’s been killing me,” Osemele said Friday. “I’m just trying to get this done. I’ve done everything I can. I’ve been at work every day, waking up at 5 in the morning, doing all the rehab and the treatments and stuff like that. I’m like the last dude out of here at night. I’m doing everything I can. I’m working with my agent. We’re communicating with the team. There’s just not communication between the team and my doctor and my agent. It’s just been butting heads for whatever reason. Hopefully, it gets resolved soon.”

A source said the Jets informed Osemele later Friday that he was required to practice Saturday or he would face either a fine or suspension for conduct detrimental to the team.

The timing of Osemele’s request for surgery raised some eyebrows inside the Jets. The coaches were planning on benching him in favor of Alex Lewis after the Patriots game. Though no one is denying he has an injury, the severity is what is disputed. Osemele may have decided to have the surgery when he felt he was losing his starting job.

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Another guy just here for the payday. Stop bringing in mercs.

IDFjet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

KO knows he's a goner after this year. Best GUESS is that he sees no need to risk injury and his next payday so, he's trying to call in sick the rest of this season and be all set to cash in on his next team.

ColoradoContrails and IDFjet like this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He wants to heal up on on the Jets dime and be healthy for when he gets cut in 2020.

The Jets are saying hell no, you can play and if you don’t we’ll find you so you have to go through grievance to get your money

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Whether he CAN play or not is irrelevant. It’s a stupid fight to pick because he doesn’t WANT to play.

you don’t wanna line up on sundays with a guy who doesn’t WANT to play

IR him and be done with it.

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Official for Monday or are you referring to him being a DNP?

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't see this anywhere online so probably just DNP

macbk likes this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

He also got all the reps because the Jets were never going to win the game with Falk as quarterback, whether or not he got a couple of days of first team reps. It was pointless to give Falk reps as long as there was any chance for Darnold to play, and they thought there was. Further, as Darnold explicitly said, him getting reps before the Eagles game helped him prepare for the Cowboys game. What was good for Falk was never a consideration, and shouldn't have been.

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He’s fucking dramatic. Don’t listen to him.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

My take is he was probably juiced to the gills to both keep his weight on and deal with injury to play at an NFL level. The Raiders were going to cut him before they got the deal with Mac.

He's off the juice and wants to live a long healthy life. He's done as an NFL player. This is about trying to milk the gravy train instead of retiring.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

My take is Gase understands his No. 1 priority is to develop Sam Darnold this year. If Sam was healthy enough to practice it was more important than getting Luke Falk ready to play. Now I know that goes against the anti-Gase bias here but I actually hope that's what the thinking was. Darnold may or may not have been ready to play but he was ready to practice with the first unit. That's a good enough reason for me for him to get the reps.

NCJetsfan likes this.