Offensive Line Deserves a Ton of Credit

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a fantastic day to be a Jets fan.

We got our young QB back and he immediately made an ENORMOUS impact. The argument was settled that him being out for x amount weeks proved to have ZERO effect on his game.

But just as we have been quick to throw shade at this offensive line, they deserve a TON of credit for that win yesterday. A week ago the same group, plus Osemele, gave up 10 sacks with Luke Falk. Yesterday they gave up 2 and the best part?

Demarcus Lawrence was held to 2 tackles, 0 sacks, and 0 QB hits.

Having Darnold back made the offesnive line look a ton better, but gotta give credit where credit is due.

Brandon Shell, Kelvin Beachum, Ryan Kalil, Brian Winters, and Chuma Edoga......hats off to you!

Cman68, Patriot and Andy_M like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Now if they could just get a better push in the run game

101GangGreen101 and Acad23 like this.
  3. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

Yeah, they need a dominate game so our featured back can have a signature game,

4. Falco21

Agree.

It was nice seeing Bell after the game state that the holes were much bigger for him than weeks past. Granted, it didn't seem to amount to much as he struggled to gain yardage throughout the entire game, but maybe it's a glimpse into seeing some progress

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yes kudos to our OL for this week. Much improved.

As I noted/asked in another thread I was trying to watch Edoga as much as possible. What is our analysis of him? To my eyes I'm seeing the faint outline of hope for the future that he might be a good part of things going forward this year and hopefully well beyond. Is that overly optimistic?

6. Falco21

Yes, Eodga played very well yesterday.

He was a big reason for Lawrence getting shut out all game

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Guess he wasn't eatin' yesterday!

8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Don’t forget Alex Lewis too!

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Sorry Falco but I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one, if the QB made the oline look better because he was running around like Sugar Ray Leonard in the ring then credit goes to Darnold.

There was constant push from that defense, I give credit to Gase for coming up with a plan to get the ball out faster.

This line needs to be replaced as soon as possible starting next year.

10. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Some truth to that, but I think you are just seeing the oline start to understand how to play and communicate with each other. They were set back by being unable to play together through cam and preseason. It takes time with a bunch of guys that have not played together before to feel each other out and understand how each other plays. It was always going to take time for this oline to gel, and it is just starting to happen. It will still get better. Next season will be a different story if they are still together.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Darnold had something to do with it. I saw them get beat a few times but Darnold bought some extra time with his feet or he got rid of the ball so quick they couldn't get to him.

12. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

In his post game interview Bell was basically saying that having Darnold back changed the offense by having at guy that (among other things) could line guys up correctly, and have multiple plays ready based on coverage. He said they were missing that the last few weeks. What I am hearing is that Falk was incapable of reading the defense and changing plays based on what he saw. When you have a guy that knows what he is seeing, and can direct the offense, then without a doubt, having him back would have a positive effect on the o-line play. His pocket awareness obviously was a huge factor too... the way he moved around inside the pocket was beautiful. He was like a ballerina out there.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Dallas has a very good front 7 with Lawrence, Quinn, Vander Esch, Lee, Jaylon Smith. Hopefully the run game picks it up though

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

There's no doubt that the OL was much better, and there's also no doubt that Darnold had a lot to do with that, both directly (setting assignments, going through progressions quickly, audibles, etc.) and indirectly (he doesn't suck - in fact, he's good). Having said that, offensive linemen always talk about imposing their will on the defense, and the fact is that this group can't do that at all. The proof is in the last drive - with the game on the line there were three handoffs to one of the best backs in football, and they got a grand total of 9 yards. A good OL (or an OL playing well) in that situation at least gets the team a first down or two just by knocking the DL off the ball. These guys can't do that. Sure, you'd like to see an OL that does that all game, but the Jets only needed them to do that for one series, and they couldn't.

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

It's the same offensive line. The difference is that Darnold has mobility, pocket awareness, doesn't hold the ball too long, knows what he wants to do with the ball, is accurate, and has a strong arm. All things that Falk lacked. It's definitely an indictment of the FO that they signed a guy as bad as Falk when other teams have had some success with their 3rd stringers like yesterday with the Steelers beating the Chargers. I think there are a few other examples.

16. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

this.

17. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Totally agree Sam processes information very quickly that made all the difference in the world I don’t think the O- line is that much better.....we just have a QB Processing his reads faster

Noam, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's the theory anyway. Hopefully, they will get better as the season progresses. It's certainly hard to imagine them getting any worse than they've been.

Hopefully, we won't have to find out next season how they play together, as there should be at least 2 new starters on the OL. If we do have the same OL next season it means that they do wind up gelling and being much better than we thought possible and Douglas is content to re-sign Beacham, Kalil, and Shell, and thus is no better than Mac in terms of making the OL a priority. It would also mean that Douglas doesn't have much of a vision for putting a team together. I don't see any way this group can "gel" well enough to be brought back next year, especially with Beacham being 30+ and Kalil 35 next season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

It's encouraging to see we have solid depth pieces going into next year--Alex Lewis, Edoga, and maybe Shell at the right price would be perfect depth pieces going forward even if we have to add two starters interior. Lewis might even be the guy

PabloJa likes this.
  20. tubby

tubby Active Member

Edoga looked good!

SOJAZ likes this.