Baker Mayfields career

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Apr 26, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

with the talent they have at WR, idc how bad their offensive line is or how bad their coaching staff is. Mayfield sucks so far. Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, hell even Mason Rudolph would look all good with those Cleveland weapons

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Combination of bad OL, bad coaching, Mayfield never proving he could beat good defenses last year, and Mayfield dicking around during the offseason thinking he already made it.

Freddy Mondo and BrowningNagle like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thats a great last point. If I was a Cleveland fan I would be furious right now.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the bad o-line is a myth

edit: citations for each point

1) https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

2) https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

3) https://www.pff.com/news/pro-z-quar...pff-data-study-of-who-controls-pressure-rates

So again we have 2 pro bowl WRs, a top 10 o-line, the 3rd most time to throw the ball in the NFL, a young stud RB. How is the fact their offense is 29th in DVOA not 100% on baker? who was the 1st overall draft pick

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

People don't like to be proven wrong, so it will take time for the Mayfield expectations to reset. The people who didn't like him are now screaming, and everyone else is saying he's been disappointing, but could still be okay.

I still stick with what I said earlier - none of these guys have really shown anything yet (in terms of consistent performance). Remember all of those predictions that this year, being year 2, would show great Goffian/Wentzian leaps forward all over the place? There has been none of that so far.

nycarl, westiedog1 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

I agree in general but IMO Goff's leap was more due to McVay than Goff. I don't think Goff is that good.

7. HomeoftheJets

Interesting. Maybe their line is better than I thought. Though one thing I know about their line is their interior line is better than their tackles. Which is a bad thing for Mayfield because he likes to roll out of the pocket. So even if the line on the whole is good, it doesn't mesh well with the QB. Which isn't Mayfield or the line's fault, it's Dorsey's for not accounting for his QB's style when building the line.

8. GasedAndConfused

personally i don't dislike him and think he can still be ok. but anyone who can't admit he's been awful this season despite being in as ideal of a situation a young QB can be in is completely delusional.

Actually their tackles are better. Their interior o-line regressed in the offseason compared to last year. Their line was top 3 last year, now it's top 7. Still good though obviously and his WR talent is better this year thanks to ODB. He shouldn't roll out so often, it's a huge issue in his game/skill set. he needs to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball. the issue with baker is his whole college career he was throwing layoups to wide open 1st targets. when his 1st target isn't open he panics and bails. he needs to stand in and go through progressions and deliver to the open man like an NFL QB should

alleycat9 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

I agree with this. I don't think goff is great either. i think he's a solid starter but not a elite or top 10 QB. he has a lot of talent around him to help. good o-line, great RB, and 3 good WRs (but no elite WR1)

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Agree on the 1st read....Rex said it as well I think.

I think he rolls out because he can't see the field well from the pocket.

He also seems to have an inordinate amount of batted balls when he does throw from the pocket...there's gotta be stats on that...

He's too damn short!...and he's not athletic enough (like Russell Wilson) to be effective as a run threat and keep defenses honest.

11. GasedAndConfused

I'm not concerned about the height. plent of QBs his height or shorter do well. obviously wilson and brees being the 2 poster boys for short QBs. and brees is a pocket passer. Mayfield just isn't good at playing QB currently. he's good at throwing the ball. there is a difference

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

8 of 22 for 100 yds. 0td 2 ints. vs. SF

That ain't "good at throwing the ball"... :confused:

13. GasedAndConfused

throwing the ball as in if someone is wide open and it's his 1st read he'll hit them.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i wonder what take nyjunc would have on baker mayfield... yikes...

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield is a short, greedy whore!

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

25 INTs since he entered the league

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

But he hit a top speed of nearly 19 mph when he was running down the field after Chubb to celebrate.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

RW ran a pro set in college and unlike Mayfield is incredibly smart. RW with the exception of the two SB teams has worked behind terrible pass blocking OL. He has to run but unlike Mayfield, he actually knows where he's guys are going and has a plan when he leaves the pocket.

Mayfield has a great arm and is accurate when he has time and a lane. He lacks the balls to step up in the pocket and he has almost no understanding of a pro set. He's a one read QB. In many ways he is the least ready of the QB's drafted last year to be in the NFL. He is really lucky to have been drafted by the team with the most talent.

#459 Biggs, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Baker was off yesterday. A beat late on throws and throwing behind his receivers...causing two ints. that I saw.

He's struggling with putting the ball on his receivers.