NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I agree that the OL is a top priority to address. I believe that we can land a good OT and C prospect in rounds 2 and 3, respectively. This way, we can get a blue chip WR prospect in round 1 and address the OL. You might disagree, but I feel that WR is almost as big of a need as OL given our depth and lack of a game changing WR.

I was spitballing ideas for where to go in rounds 3 and 4. We're paying for taking the wrong Edge prospect this year. Should've just taken Allen in round 1, but I guess he wasn't the BPA. Or Winovich in round 3. I'm not counting on a top Edge guy hitting the open market next year, so we'll have to draft and develop our own sooner or later.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Gotta be OL early and often. I'd be OK if they went OL with 3 of their first 4 picks. LT/C/G.

Franchise offensive linemen don't seem to hit the open market all that often. I would not rely on FA to bolster the line.

GWjet likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The bold is the crux of where we disagree. You seem willing to settle for a "good" OT. IMO that's not "good" enough. I want a very good or great LT, not just good. If possible, I want the best LT in the draft. NE has proven that you don't have to have elite WRs for your QB and offense to flourish. With a great OL and good WRs, our offense will be very good. Think back to 2009 and 2010. We had a great OL and good WRs, and the offense was pretty darned good even with Sanchez at QB. Think what our offense would look like with Sam and Bell behind an OL like that.

I agree that WR is almost as big a need as OL, and would LOVE to see us add a game-changing WR, but imo that's going to have to wait until the 2021 draft at the earliest. IMO edge rusher is a higher priority than a #1 WR. I've been screaming for one for over ten years, but the offense has been neglected for so long, even as important as getting a very good edge rusher is, I can't justify taking one in the first round over an LT, but won't freak out if Douglas goes edge rusher, LT 1-2 in the draft. I would be upset if a WR was taken before an LT or edge rusher in the 1st two rounds.

Hopefully, we can trade down, still get a topflight LT and have an additional 2nd and 3rd or 4th round pick, and can get a C, OG or WR a round higher. If we're not able to trade down, then I think our draft needs to look very similar to the following.

1 - LT
    2 - edge rusher
    3 - C
    4 - WR or OG
    5 - OG

or

1 - edge rusher
    2 - LT
    3 - C or OG
    4 - whichever one wasn't taken in round 3
    5 - WR

#23 NCJetsfan, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

we can all debate this far ahead of time but if the jets are convinced that darnold is THE GUY (will admit i think some folks have a shred of doubt so far) there is NO question they will be picking OL early and often next April.

5. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Ideally we have the #1 or #2 selection and can trade down a few spots and still get Thomas or Wirfs. Similar to 2006, I really hope we can then trade back into the first and take a center. Khalil has been terrible. We also really need to replace Brian Winters, but I'm hoping one of the tackles can move to guard and do this for us. Take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. It's a great WR class and someone will fall. Also, next year's WR class is also stacked so we can take a 1st rd WR then.

6. NCJetsfan

How are we going to take an LT, C and WR all in the 1st round? We also need as many picks as we can get, so why would we waste picks trading back up into the 1st round to get a C? Centers don't have to be taken in the 1st round. If we have the #1 or #2 draft spot, we'll get a king's ransom to move down, something on the order of a 2020 1st, 2nd and 4th, and a 2021 1st and 2nd. We'd be able to get our new LT in the 1st round, get our new C and a WR or edge rusher in the 2nd, either a C or WR in the 3rd (whichever one we didn't take in the 2nd round), then with two 4th round picks could take 2 OGs. Both Shell and Beacham will be FAs, so I doubt either one would be moving to OG even if Edoga can be the new RT. Shell may want to remain a RT and not move to OG. We could keep Osemele at LG and sign a RG in FA and then draft an OG or two in the 4th and 5th rounds, hopefully our starting OL would be remade and we'd have a couple of young depth players to develop.

I think Douglas will look to sign at least 2 OL in FA, a CB and a WR. He may even look to sign 3 or more OL with 1 or 2 being potential starters, and the other as depth.

7. New England has also proven that you can win w.o elite OL talent just as well. There have been years where their talent up front has been average at best.They have the best OL coach of all time. Also, can we stop referencing the cheats as a means of comparision or emulaton? Theyre a unique case that cant be replicated.

Right now the OL value hot spot for 2020 draft is between picks 12 & the end of day 2. Theres a deep pool of GOOD talent im not sure there is a VERY good one at this stage. Thats really not a big deal anyway. Usually the main difference between good & very good when it comes to OL is technique which gets reset when they make the jump. Plenty of great franchise OTs who came outside round 1.

Meanwhile some are calling this WR class historical. As ive stated many times before legit #1 WR prospects are far more scarce than OL on a year to year basis. Very simply the top of this WR class is much stronger than what the OL class has offered to date.Big plays,instant offense. Respect it for what it is.We havent had it basically ever. Perhaps someone who can run routes & provide us w a damn quick passing attack which helps pass pro just as well. We can find good OL in rounds 2 & 3; the same may not be said w WR. The more needs we can address w good players the better, regardless of the specific position.

Also, drafting a bunch of highly regarded OL in one draft isnt doing sam any favors in the short term.Those guys will be learning/gelling on the job & it wont be pretty.In fact not much different than what we’re seeing now. The OL must be rebuilt & prioritized but it must be done prudently, not forced.

mrjet80 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Yes, NE can win without elite OL talent because they have Brady, Belichik and the best OL coach in the game. We have none of those things. For too long, the Jets have tried to cobble together an OL of mid-and lower-round picks, UDFAs, and FAs. That must stop. I'm not saying that we need 5 - 1st round picks on the OL, but I think the LT should be a 1st round pick, the RT and C should probably be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and the OGs in the 3rd to 5th round range, if not higher. I know that some very good, if not great NFL OL were UDFAs and low round picks. If Douglas can find them that low, awesome, but if not, he needs to use higher picks.

If Sam gets hurt, then it won't matter how good the WR or WR corps is. If it's a historic class of WRs, then that means there is depth to it. Why wouldn't there be a very good WR outside of round 1? Also, one doesn't have to have a #1 WR to have a very good passing attack. That doesn't mean that I don't want a true #1 type WR. I'd love for the Jets and Sam to have one. It's just that I'd rather be able to stay upright and healthy, and not have plays constantly sabotaged by Sam having to run for his life.

If they can utilize Sam's ability to roll out and throw on the run and get by with a little less great OL, that's fine, but that OL better be able to run block to open holes for Bell and Montgomery or whomever our RBs are.

As for drafting a bunch of highly regarded OL in one draft not doing Sam any favors, it didn't seem to hurt the Jets QBs when Brick and Mangold were both drafted in round 1. Ultimately, we probably need 5 new starters on the OL. Replacing all 5 next offseason isn't practical or possible, but if Douglas can sign a FA OL or two that will be upgrades over two of our present starters and draft two more to go with Osemele, and our OL should be fine if Pollack is as good as some here think he is.

We haven't had big play, instant offense WRs before? Come on, my friend, you know better than that. Don Maynard, Al Toon, Wesley Walker, George Sauer, Jr., and Rob Moore just off the top of my head.

If where we're picking doesn't match OL value, then I hope we can trade down. I certainly wouldn't want Douglas reaching in the 1st round for an LT. IMO we need to trade down anyway. We need quantity as well as quality. By the same token, I wouldn't want him to pull a Parcells and pass up on two great LT prospects in order to trade down and acquire a quantity of middling and crappy players. If Douglas were to stay put and take a WR, I wouldn't go nuts unless Sam wound up getting hurt because of shoddy protection from the OL, but I hope the #1 pick will be an LT or an edge rusher more than a WR.

I can understand your desire for a #1 WR, and I respect your knowledge. I just see things a little differently.

#28 NCJetsfan, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  9. Youre forcing & fixating on OL, refusing to see the overall picture. Something this fan base has done for 20 years.

Youre aware that the most recent WR from your list wore a Jets uni 25 years ago?!

If thats your opinion then fine..but at least acknowledge that its a bit reckless & frankly tunnel vision.and i disagree wholeheartedly.In fact i couldn’t disagree more. Im so god damn tired of this fan base REFUSING to acknowledge fucking skill talent. “Next year..next year..next year”.We lve been saying next year for skill since the fucking Johnsons took over!!

We could very well see teams take WRS before & after us & STILL get OL almost as good as the one(s) we took early in a later round. Meanwhile we’ll take the wrong second rate WR AGAIN & what will we hear all over TGG? NEXT YEAR we’ll take a WR.Until next year arrives & its “it all starts up front...NEXT YEAR we’ll look at WRs”.Rinse & repeat tilll NEXT YEAR.

Youre one of my favs on this board & a friend..you know that.But i feel like ive been screaming for a legit game changer who can provide instant offense for at least 15 yrs. 2014 shouldve been the yr & we f’d it up. I think my contributions in the OL prospect thread speaks to my regard for OL..i know how important it is.But so is having consistent stat makers..and we havent had that since Chrebet/Keyshawn/Ward.

#29 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
  10. NCJetsfan

I'm not forcing or fixating on anything. You're the one who seems fixated on WR to the exclusion of anything else, and imo you're not being realistic. If Sam gets hurt because of our shoddy OL, or if the offense continues to be limited because of the shoddy OL protection, then Sam isn't going to develop, our offense won't flourish and we won't win. Sam did very well last season without an elite WR, and he may have an elite TE to throw to.

This fanbase has not fixated on the OL for 20 years. If a few posters have fixated on the OL, it's because we have had such a shitty OL for most of the last 10 years. Remember two (or was it three) Jets' QBs getting hurt in one game? Remember some of the horrible OL we've had over the last 20 years?

If you want to continue this conversation when you've calmed, are more respectful and civil, then I will be happy to; otherwise, I'm done.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jeudy is looking like a generational talent at WR if we do end up in position to draft him he should be selected over anyone else, regardless of position.

12. Im very civil but not on this issue..no more.I refuse to be told “next year” on WR/skill talent again.THIS is the year until an OL or player at a different position of need proves
    their better. Ya’ll can bring it :) Im ready.

1.If there was an OL or OLs higher ranked than any of the WRs or any other position of need id be banging the table right along w you.Should we draft to our needs? Yes.But we should draft to the landscape just as well.Why would we bypass a higher ranked player at a position of need to reach on a different need ESPECIALLY when everything points to that same need easily bring addressed at later point when value is prime? This is the definition of forcing the issue

2. As ive stated before a quick passing attack/instant offense can be just as helpful to keeping a QB upright/PR’s at bay as actual OL.Its called balance.We dont have an x receiver or a starting quality Y on the roster.

3. Ill keep saying it until you acknowledge it..drafting a bunch of OL to plug n play in one offseason will NOT help Sam in the short term. Even if the OL dies improve we’ll still be vertically challenged w WRs who cant separate which means even w good protection Sam will still take hits due to coverage sacks/waiting for someone to get open.

The whole passing game needs to be fixed around Sam.Not just OL.

#32 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
  13. NCJetsfan

If you read my earlier response, I said that I wouldn't want Douglas reaching for an OL, that I'd rather he trade down, take an edge rusher or a WR.

I never said that the whole passing attack didn't need to be fixed, or that we didn't need to upgrade our WR corps.

I didn't say draft a bunch of OL either. You're so rabid and obsessive that you're not even focusing and reading what I write, so this will be my last response to you on this issue today. I said sign a FA or two OL and draft a couple of OL. Keeping the same shit OL, especially when 3 of them will be FAs and one could be cut and a lot of cap space gained, would be dumb and wouldn't help Sam or the offense.

14. I can live being called cuckoo on this topic. Ive been screaming for an elite skilll player for at least 15 years & am damn tired of being told no w every reason under the sun why it shouldnt be an option in RD 1..god forbid EARLY round 1.2014 was my last straw & that was 5 years ago. Do i think WRs can be found in later rounds?Yes.This caliber?Debatable.By the JETS w their drafting history? Fat chance.

If theres a higher rated player at a different position of need i want the jets to take the higher rated guy or trade down. If the WR’s stock’s being inflated due to supply shortage i want the jets to pass. But if the jets are sitting there w a LEGIT elite WR prospect & nothing else of equal value..that has got to be the pick..screw the trade down..and i happen to love the idea of trading down in literally every other scenario.

We’re talking about WR prospects that transcend getting open & catching the football.This class has guys w legit transcendent talent.Guys good for explosive point producing plays every single week. And the best part is..there will still be plenty of damn good OL prospects when day 2 rolls around bc this draft is structured that way.

15. jilozzo

I would say 2020 will certainly be offense heavy for the jets. If they could manage to get 5-6 picks in the first 3 rounds, use them wisely on offense, that would be a decent start. At least on paper.

16. jilozzo

I certainly expect to be picking top 5 again.

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

I hope is that by the time this upcoming draft is over, the OL has been adequately addressed and we have acquired at least 1 dynamic WR prospect. Edge is important, but nothing matters more than giving Sam protection and weapons to throw to. Same goes for CB. Maybe we can get a CB prospect in the middle rounds.

18. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Most mocks have the Jets going defense again in the first few rounds. More than anything, we need Andrew Thomas as our first round pick. As much as Chase Young looks good and we DO need an edge rusher, the O-line is of much more concern. What I'm worried about is that with Leonard Williams underperforming this year, that they'll get rid of him and use that as an excuse to draft yet ANOTHER defensive lineman with their first pick, especially since Derrick Brown is climbing draft boards. And it's the same shit analysts said before they drafted Quinnen: "The Jets love drafting defensive linemen, and although edge rusher and offensive line are the biggest needs, Brown may be too good to pass up..." Hopefully Douglas knows better.

19. CotcheryFan

Is Thomas significantly better than the OT's who will be available in round 2? As Kurt has pointed out here, there are a few dynamic WR prospects we could take in round 1 followed by OT and C on day 2.

20. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I've been watching Thomas pretty closely. I've been quite impressed with him. A good WR is a great tool to have, but it does no good if he has no time to get open before the QB has a rusher in his face.