Good article about gase from forbes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 27, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelz...ew-york-jets-the-exact-same-way/#2ff91fdc1937

By Adam Gase’s own admission, his offensive line’s “techniques and fundamentals just were not there” when the Jets allowed five sacks to New England on Sunday. So this bye week would provide a perfect opportunity to correct that with some specific practice time dedicated to those flaws, right?

Well, apparently not, considering Gase already has dismissed his players for the week without having any on-field workouts, opting instead for film study and meetings before sending them home.

The first-year New York Jets coach’s rationale? “That's just kind of been the way I've done it,” he said Monday.

In other words, because that’s how Gase did it in Miami.

Why did Gase similarly choose to have no on-field practice time during rookie mini-camp in May, also merely having meetings and film study?

Because that’s how he did it in Miami.

Why did Gase schedule mandatory June mini-camp before a week of organized team activities, instead of making it the spring finale the way most teams do?

Because that’s how he did it in Miami.

Why does Gase’s play-calling on offense with the Jets consistently feature third-down passes nowhere near the first-down markers?

Well, Gase hasn’t specifically come out and said why, but it’s safe to assume it’s because (all together now)—that’s how he did it in Miami.

Detecting a pattern here?

So maybe the Jets’ bye, the earliest in the NFL this season along with San Francisco, should provide Gase with a chance to do some soul-searching and ask himself, exactly why am I doing everything the same way I did it in Miami?

Consider that this also is how Gase did it in Miami—a 23-25 regular-season record, one playoff game (a loss to Pittsburgh in 2016, Gase’s first season there), and an eventual dismissal by owner Stephen Ross after the two men had clashed last December.

If Gase is completely honest with himself, he might realize that following a failed blueprint to the letter isn’t the best path for success.

To be fair, he isn’t the first NFL coach to be this stubborn. In fact, anecdotal evidence demonstrates that two of his recent New York predecessors did much the same thing. Only in both cases, they went down the same path after being banished from the Jets’ Florham Park, N.J. complex.

Eric Mangini, a former lieutenant of Bill Belichick’s in New England, arrived in 2006 and got off to a fast start, going 10-6 and securing a wild-card playoff berth. (The Jets lost his lone playoff game to the Patriots.)

Although Mangini did many good things, and helped build the foundation for Rex Ryan’s first two New York squads, the one curious aspect of his tenure was his personality. In private back then, he could be engaging and charming, much like the Eric Mangini you see on TV debate shows these days. But for some reason, he chose to emulate not just Belichick’s New England blueprint, but also his dour, humorless public presence. It was much the same behind the scenes with the players, and he was fired after the 2008 season because owner Woody Johnson felt Mangini had lost the locker room. (Coincidentally, his record at the time was the same as Gase’s in Miami, 23-25 and 0-1 in the post-season.)

But all was not lost for “The Mangenius,” as he briefly had been dubbed by the New York media. Much like Gase, Mangini landed another head coaching job, this one with Cleveland, less than two weeks after being fired.

Despite the fresh start, Mangini stuck to his tight-lipped ways, even bringing along the personal assistant, Erin O’Brien, he’d had with the Jets, dubbing her “director of team operations.” But she soon was forced out in Cleveland, a harbinger of what was to come.

Long story short—Mangini was fired by Browns owner Randy Lerner after two seasons.

Back in New Jersey, Mangini was replaced by his antithesis, the brash, charismatic Rex Ryan. Aided by the roster largely constructed by Mangini and then-general manager Mike Tannenbaum, Ryan made it to the AFC title game in each of his first two seasons but failed to produce a playoff appearance subsequently.

But he also landed on his feet quickly, hired as Buffalo’s head coach. Ryan continued his bombastic ways unabated, even having his pickup truck painted in the Bills’ colors, but also was shown the door after two seasons.

It’s human nature, when one immediately is hired after being fired by someone else, to think it wasn’t your fault. That you don’t need to change anything. But the Mangini and Ryan itineraries demonstrate otherwise.

So unless quarterback Sam Darnold returns from mononucleosis and attains elite NFL status at lightning speed, Gase is going to have to figure out how to do things a bit differently to be successful post-Miami, and soon. A good place to start would be in his chronic habit of being conservative on third down.

This has been going on since his days in south Florida, and his relocation north hasn’t changed that approach. On Sunday, quarterback Luke Falk took an incomplete deep shot on his first third-down attempt. After that, the Jets ran the ball on three third downs in the first half, and threw short passes on the other two. (To be fair, it’s possible wide receiver Jamison Crowder was forced to break off his comeback route too quickly because of tight coverage, resulting in a 10-yard gain on a third-and-12.)

And lest you think that was merely because Gase was working with a former third-stringer against the disciplined, well-coached Patriots, note that he did the same thing with Darnold in the Week 1 loss to Buffalo. On a crucial third-and-12 in the fourth quarter, Gase called a screen to Crowder, who caught the ball 2 yards past the line of scrimmage. He wound up 2 yards shy of a first down.

One reason Gase landed the New York job was by having former pupil Peyton Manning call Jets owner Christopher Johnson with a glowing recommendation.

But if Gase doesn’t change his approach with the Jets, he very well might eventually have to press Manning into service again. Only this time, the owner probably won’t take Peyton’s phone call.

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles approves this message.

KurtTheJetsFan, FlaJet and SOJAZ like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What sucks is almost none of us wanted Gase last winter, and almost all of us hated the hire when it was made. We saw this coming and then spent the offseason convincing ourselves that there was hope things could work out. And then the season starts and it's the same old garbage.

phubbadaman, PabloJa, Wahoo and 19 others like this.
  4. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Lack of talent on the OL....

Royal Tee and twown like this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets are partially to blame. Even though he was fired by Miami, he was immediately re-hired by a division rival thus giving him no reason to question his past behavior. By hiring him we basically said we like we way you run shit. Come run our ship like that.

The players need to execute.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. I believe my exact words when he was hired were "I can't see any good reason for hiring him." I then liked some things I was hearing during pre-season, and absolutely felt that the attacks on him after week 1 were premature (and the subsequent news that Darnold was playing with mono supported that view). Even now I think Siemian and Falk limit the actual information we've learned the last two games. Yet with all of that the fact is that nothing happened in the first three games to make me feel that better times are coming, other than hopes based on counterfactuals (if Darnold had been in there it would have better, if Herndon had been in there it would have been better, etc.). Counterfactuals don't actually prove anything at all, so ultimately at this point all optimism is based on is hope.

7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

What does that have to do with how Gase is running things? There's a lack of talent in spots but our coach isn't making things better.
    Other than the upper echelon teams the majority of nfl teams have holes in the roster but they don't look like the timid, clueless, undisciplined team that we are

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

That just shows you that Christopher Johnson doesnt have the pulse of whats going on...He makes Woody Johnson look like a hall of fame owner.Woody needs to resign his position and retake control of the team.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The offensive line was less talented last year and is playing much worse this year. Free rushers galore.

stinkyB, FlaJet, TonyFtLaud and 5 others like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yep.

Even fat Leo would get some sacks against us...

themorey and CBG like this.
  11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Some of us have been saying this for a while... unless he changes, he will keep losing and will eventually lose respect of the players. I forget where I read the following but the article said that some of the players haven't bought into the schemes. I think it was Chat Sports.... Anyway, if that supposition is right he already has bigger issues then starting three different QBs....

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s definitely a schematic issue. I wonder if pollack and gase are not communicating well on what the line should be doing. Hopefully the bye gives the coaches the time to work this thing out.
    My pitchfork is in the corner ready to come out after thanksgiving if this thing stays sideways.

NYJFOREVER, stinkyB, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Despite the bullshit, Gase got a pretty shitty Dolphins team to the playoffs. He ran a better ship then the Bills and the Jets in his tenure.

I agree, players need to execute. But the Jets need a healthy Sam back because he is the offense. He's going to set the protections, get receivers in the right situation. Week 1 the fucker had mono and still had us in position to win. It's not over just yet. Do I think we'll win? Odds are no, but we'll have a shot if we get healthy.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article Gased. This sums up what I and others have been saying about Gase, and why firing him right now would not, in fact, be crazy. Given that I know this won't happen, I sure hope that Gase reads this article (and maybe some of the posts here, hahahaha!), and gets his head out of his ass. But I doubt it will happen. Why? Because he's shown himself to be an egotistical ass. When he was hired, I predicted that if he didn't get out to a fast start that the pitchforks and axes would come out quickly, and that's what's happening. If he thought that he had to deal with criticism in the past, he ain't seen nothin' yet!

It's very true that erosion reduced the Appalachian Mountains that were once taller than the Rockies, down to the size they are now, but that took hundreds of millions of years. Most of us don't have that kind of time to wait for Gase to finally get it.

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

How's that culture change going without the Ws?

Another guy that comes here with the savior complex, grand plans about how he's going to change the culture here while forgetting the #1 reason he was hired.

Win football games.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's alarming what's going on with the o-line. Can you remember ever seeing so many free rushers? Maybe the expansion Texans? That spleen better be completely shrunk before Darnold steps back on the field or Gase could get him killed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

Peyton was Gase’s pupil? Lmao. This whole QB Guru thing is ridiculous and based solely on his time with Manning, who didn’t need anybody’s help to be great.

stinkyB likes this.
  18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Gase made the playoffs his first year as a coach in 2016 and was promptly shown the door in the first round. At this point, that is irrelevant. The league knows who Gase is as a coach. He doesn't get to hang his hat on the 2016 wild card 1 and done appearance.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No he shouldn't hang his hat on that, but when that Miami team was healthy he got that roster to exceed expectations.

Jarvis Landry was happy to leave Miami but I don't see the same level of impact he had when he was with Gase.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It is alarming but it may be easily correctable. A lot of new things involved here, Khalil, pollack and gase are all new to other. I think individually the line is talented enough to be ok but the scheme and communication needs to be fixed.
    Not worried about sams spleen, This is pass fail. If it’s enlarged at all the doc won’t clear him