Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

An incompetent owner and GM covering their ass for a bad hire isn’t commendable.
    It’s papering over the real problem.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not that either scenario is good, but I'd rather have an owner and GM that realize they made a terrible decision a year in rather than three years in.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Which is why Gase wanted to get rid of Mac. If Gase is canned I want a new GM making the hire.

4. BroadwayAaron

Gase getting rid of Mac solves half the problem. Douglas getting rid of Gase would solve the other half.

Why wouldn't you want Douglas making the hire?

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You seem to be a supporter of Douglas.

If so, why are you picking and choosing his decisions? Douglas is a strong supporter of Gase and was excited as hell to work with him again. If that's the case, why are you sold on getting rid of Gase before seeing what they do together with a full offseason?

6. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I agree, it all starts with the Oline...and that does have a domino effect. We won't be able to really judge Gase until at least the second half of this year, or more likely, next year. I do think there are things he could be doing right now that he isn't, but right now this is a complete cluster so it is very tough to judge with any certainty.

NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don’t think he will make a dispassionate decision. He wouldn’t be here without Gase. He hasn’t proven anything at this point good or bad. He has done nothing to stop the bleeding.

He was hired by a Johnson. There is zero evidence to think he doesn’t already suck.

legler82 likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

I'm a supporter of Douglas because of his resume and what he's done so far (aggressively trying to improve areas of need, even if Kalil isn't panning out). I'm sold on getting rid of Gase because he is a bad coach that has been bad when he doesn't have a hall of famer at the helm his entire career. His resume is embarrassing. I don't know why you're trying to conflate the two. Douglas is trying to rebuild an entire roster while Gase is coaching the team very poorly. The two aren't comparable.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

On a lot of those mind-boggling O-line miscues, they're actually trying to run some sophisticated shit and muffing badly. The line for example is pulling right to deceive the defense; the tight end is supposed to pull left and block except he doesn't, or he does but the wrong guy. Pain ensues

I don't think Herndon will fix those issues but I could be wrong. It's essentially a coaching decision to say he wants to run his plays, and not simplify things. Right now the team is struggling with it (need chemistry or talent). We've seen it on other teams before where the season can start out so bleak but then turn around. Hopefully this starts to click.

I'm more interested in how we finish the season than how we start. Does the team and do the players individually exhibit growth, professionalism, accountability. IF so great. If not then things get tough. You either fire the coach or the players.
    Given that most of our players suck, if i were them I'd be listening to the coach because it's more likely the players will get fired in this instance. It's not like Gase inherited a loaded roster and is misusing it.

there's some serious overreaction to the Pats game. They are smoking everyone now on D. We lost to the Brown playing a 3rd string QB with a new playbook and a team that has a lot of new faces.

Let's see how things play out for a bit.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

Bolded statement is just wrong. When the CB market was all but dried up, he traded for guys he thought could help (and Hairston had a really good games 2 and 3 minus the first quarter against the Pats). When we had no center he convinced Kalil to come out of retirement and even though he hasn't panned out, Douglas was clearly aggressive in trying to address the needs. One thing I really did not like was how the WR room was handled. 5 WRs, two of which are special teams guys, a Gase staple. Knowing that Gase had that kind of influence is scary.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. chandler

Pretty tough grader. Miami roster sucked and he didn't have his starting QB for extended periods.

He could end up being a bum, but he checked a lot of positive boxes on my list for a coach in today's NFL.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Aggressive didn’t stop the bleeding. He’s tied at the hip with Gase. If Gase is out Douglas should go with him. Douglas is only here because of Gase.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it doesn't make any sense to be a supporter of Douglas and a hater of Gase. Gase brought Douglas here

15. BrowningNagle

they should fire Fabio quick too. after 3 games its clear he's out of his league in the NFL. right?

16. BroadwayAaron

If Kingsbury is out of his league with a rookie QB leading an offense that's 18th in points and 15th in passing yards, then what is Gase?

Also before you incorrectly go with your same old routine again... I was not a proponent of hiring Kingsbury as our head coach.

17. BroadwayAaron

This is flawed logic but you're set in your opinion and I'm not going to change it.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

I don't think any coach should be fired after 3 games, I'm not a drama queen

19. BroadwayAaron

I don't think he should be fired either, not sure where you got the idea that I wanted that. I don't think he ever should have been hired, that's my complaint.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. chandler

right. the article says 2018 he's putting his fingerprint on the team. they went 7-9 with tannehill starting 11 games. He dumped a lot of high priced stars -- smart move if your team needs depth; smart move if the flashy guys think they know better and undermine team cohesion

there's no mystery here. This is an issue every new coach faces. He can decide to run his playbook -- whether or not it suits the current roster's strengths, or he can play to the current roster's stregnths which might compromise his playbook
    there are pros and cons to each

this is why there is this ideal of having a super HC and continuity. You have time to develop a roster full of players (pipeline) who play your system the way you want it played.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.