Would u trade Vilma for a 2nd and 5th round pick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JoeJet, Dec 13, 2006.

1. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Look up.. my first post in this thread said I'd do it for a 1st rounder :)

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say no on this one.

3. All Star

All Star Active Member

1st year under the defense, undersized D-Line, NO!!!!!

4. KJet84

KJet84 Member

question for everyone..y does EVERYONE think hobson and thomas are really all that good. Thomas, while a decent pass rusher is a really soft tackler..(the favre fumble was real lucky as his hand landed RIGHT on the ball). Now while Abraham was a whiner and sat during big games..did anyone see his sack on gradkowski this weekend?? He hits so hard and constantly aims for the ball..i dont see the same intensity out of Thomas. Hobson, while also a decent pass rusher has gotten a couple of "coverage" sacks and is really slow to ball (he can shed blocks tho). I honestly believe Hobson and Thomas are quality starters but in no means studs or answers to our LB problem. Vilma is the leader of this defense and is far more athletic than Hobson and plays with much more intensity than Thomas. Vilma brings more to a defense than just playmaking ability...i wouldnt trade him

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

first rounder and maybe a 4th....in a heartbeat. and whats all this leader shit? hes the leader of a shitty defense? big deal.....If the guy doesnt fit the system, he doesnt fit the system, simple as that. This notion that Vilma is untradeable is absurd

6. All Star

All Star Active Member

Not sure if this is reasonable, but how bout moving him to safety? I'm sure he has the speed to play safety, along with Rhodes, only problem is he would have to change his number :(

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

If you want to defend Vilma thats fine, but dont bring up Thomas.Hes had 3 times the season Vilma has had, and hes played in a couple different spots as well

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I meant for the original poster. I wouldn't take a first rounder yet; for a team running a 4-3, his value is definitely higher than that.

9. Rhodes_25

Rhodes_25 New Member

dude whats are u smoking i want some!!!

10. jetmatt12

jetmatt12 New Member

Vilma is having a good season, hes gona get 100 tackles as a MLB in the 3-4...That doesnt happen alot. Sure he gets 200 in a 4-3, but he also doesnt see as many blockers in his face, nor would he have to call as complex a scheme. Its really dumb to trade your best player, and again, we arent playing madden, this is the NFL, so these ridiculous trades dont happen

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

12. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

It would have to be a couple of way higher picks for me wanting to trade Vilma away.

13. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

my thoughts exactly

14. Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan Banned

wow. (filler)

15. jamesAngleton

jamesAngleton New Member

Vilma's problem can be solved by an effective front three. Actually putting Hobson at ILB isn't a bad idea. The key is replacing the weakest link..Kimo. Here is what I would do.
    Use our first 2 draft picks on OLB and DE. That will be attained in the first 2 rounds. Since we are in good position for the 2007 draft (thanks to the horrendous season the skins are having) we can choose from any two combinations if available like:

Lamarr Woodley/Frank Okam

Demarcus Tyler/Anthony Spencer

Lamarr Woodley/Amobi Okoye

Lamarr Woodley/ Adam Carriker

Quin Pittcock/Victor Abiamiri

Then I would switch Hobson to ILB. essentially making our base 3-4 look like this:

Ellis Robertson Carriker

Woodley Vilma Hobson Thomas

or maybe something like:

Ellis Tyler Robertson

Spencer Vilma Hobson Thomas

Either way with more penetration from the new DT's and a formidable pass rush tandem of Thomas and the new guy, Vilma will have a much easier time.

This is obviously contingent upon the people we draft are as good as they were in college

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This is typical knee-jerk Jet fan what have you done for me lately crap. In no other sport is a player as dependent on his teammates as in football. Vilma has shown for two years that he is one of the best linebackers in the NFL. Now he is in a new scheme with a DL that is an enormous weakness and some people are ready to get rid of him???? Unbelievable. How about the Jets consider rebuilding the DL before getting rid of any of the talented crew of LBs they have, from Vilma to Barton to Hobson. This is real football, not fantasy football or Madden. You don't trade your players after each game. Have some patience please while this team adjusts and grows and let's keep talent, not trade it.

17. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Is this even allowed to be a thread? HELL NO I would never do it EVER! This isnt even a discussion.

18. KJet84

KJet84 Member

Joe Willie...good stuff

19. Long & Winding Rhode

Ray Lewis complained about switching to the 3-4, and he struggled at first.

Once the Ravens drafts a big DT in front of him to keep they OLs off of him, Ngata, Ray-Ray is back to form.

That's what we need. A big DT, not to cut on JV.

20. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Let's see. Trade a #12 overall pick who is coming into his prime (although in the wrong system) and a great leader on the team for not even a first round pick? I'm gonna have to go with "No"

Maybe a first and third, not because he isn't good, but because he doesn't fit the system.