Antonio Brown Accused of Rape

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Sep 10, 2019.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think everyone should wait to pass judgement because we dont know what happened. Both of them are sketchy people. But doesnt prove he raped her. Just because she said it doesnt prove anything

Far too often, we jump to conclusions and start judging these situations without any of the details one would need to make them.

Im sorry I just find it very odd someone could sexually assault you and then you keep going back and it keeps happening? Thats just suspicious. Likely trying to ride the bad press into a settlement. Seems like she owed money or something to the IRS and is pissed on he wont give her a 1.6 million.

So im reserving my judgement. This is bigger than a team rival losing its star signing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mute, TonyFtLaud and Biggs like this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

This isn't a criminal action, it's a lawsuit for financial compensation. She's very religious but when he exposed himself and kissed her, she continued to work with him. He exposed himself again and supposedly came on her back and she continued to work with him and then he raped her.

I don't believe or not believe the plaintiff in this case. I know that the amount of sexual assault on women is incredibly high and mostly unreported. I know it's not easy to go public. I also know you don't have to put yourself in a position 3 different times to be subjected to sexual abuse with someone you train with. I also know the statute of limitations on a criminal action hasn't passed but she isn't seeking criminal charges. I also know Browns financial compensation has been widely reported literally days before this civil suit.

I don't think at this point its fair to see this as anything more than an unsubstantiated allegation. It has zero to do with his behavior with the Steelers and Raiders. Being addicted to social media and an attention whore doesn't make you a rapist. Being disloyal to NFL teams doesn't make you a rapist.

While wanting to get off the Raiders and play for the Pats is clearly a sign of a damaged mind, again its doesn't make you a rapist.

Until we at least know the victim is credible, just because AB lacks cred in his professional life, I think for the time being he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

The specifics of her allegations does seem credible although why she continued to go back is beyond me but that doesn't completely destroy her credibility. Lots of victims are victimized multiple times by the same person.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree with this about it being a much bigger issue than football and a rival.

The part that concerns me is his history of assault and his antics over the past few months. The shit that has been going on with him has been entertaining to read, but very concerning regarding his mental capacity. I don't know what is going on, and maybe I am completely wrong, but something is off with him.

zace likes this.
  4. Falco21

Agree on some points here and disagree on others.

I agree that it is strange that she is not filing any criminal charges against him. I also find it strange on the timing of all of this.

But I do not agree about you taking issue with her returning to work with him after a few episodes of sexual misconduct, that she claims. This often gets lost in today's conversations about sexual misconduct, and unfortunately a large part of that is due to made up or unsubstantiated claims, but a woman returning to the person who is committing the assault is quite common, and something that deserves further attention. Many come to the conclusion that there is no way someone would return to work with a man who is sexually assaulting them, but women often feel like it was their fault that caused the assault or they feel a sense of pull towards that individual that continues to want them to return even though they are being exposed to abhorrent behavior.

I also want to make note that false rape claims are VERY low. Last I looked, the National Sexual Violence Resource Center reported that between 2-10% of rape claims are false. Some studies finding the rate is 7% and others as low as 2.1%.

The other aspect of all of this that I want to point out is her claim of "texts" she has and the fact that she apparently passed a lie detector test administered by a high level FBI official. If she has record of these messages, that would be devastating and something I definitely want to look further into. As for the lie detector test, hard to believe that she was able to fool the test. It is very possible, but an everyday citizen able to control a lie detector test outcome, is not a common feat.

All in all, there are aspects of this claim that are strange, to say the least, but just as Antonio Brown is innocent until proven guilty, she deserves to be heard and it deserves to be investigated, which I know you agree with.

I grew up with all women, being the only boy in the family, and I now have a 1 year old daughter. I have had friends who were sexually assaulted and molested and this has always been a topic that I have taken great interest in and one that continues to disgust me in every which way.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Something is, hes emotionally unstable. He may also just be a product of his generation.

I just always caution things because im sure there are men on here who have been accused of things that are untrue by a woman. There is this belief out there with some women that police and judges will believe anything they say.

Not trying to be sexist or create some sort of gender war, but being a jerk and a cry baby doesnt equal rape......why not pursue criminal charges? Theres nothing that precludes her from doing both

6. Falco21

See my above post about false rape claims. It is not as common as many people think.'

But yes, I see your point

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I did, but i caution using that as a resource. There are many factors that go into determining whats "true" and what isnt. Inspite of what we may think....people lie and misremember things....frequently and there no scientific way to determine the veracity of those claims about the percentage of whats true and whats not.

I literally get lied to on a daily basis by people over the simplest things.....oh the stories i could tell you.

Like you my family is largely women, so its not like i grew up in a sexist household either. I just will wait for facts, cuz who the hell am i to determine what he did or didnt do? I wasnt there and i dont know.

8. Falco21

Oh absolutely, but the number of true committed sexual assaults is astounding, which tends to give more credence to the accuser, wrongly so or not.

But the argument works both ways, which just like politics, people tend to go far left or far right with their arguments, which is what I was getting at.

Antonio Brown should not be immediately pointed to as guilty. The woman should not be immediately pointed at as a liar. We should all take everything at face value and let the investigation play out. The only thing we can base our opinions off are previous history and timing. The timing is weird and Brown's history does not bode well for him. Beyond that, none of us have any idea what occurred and for everyone's sake, I hope we find out the truth sooner rather than later

zace likes this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Lol thats exactly why i say, with no sarcasm at all, what the hell do i know?

Falco21 likes this.
  10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Brown needs a The/rapist

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. Lets assume theyre both mentally ill;a highly probable prospect.Bare in mind the burden of proof is preponderance of evidence rather than “beyond a reasonable doubt”. Brown has a history of sexual assault & we live in a “#metoo” society.While this will never see trial & instead is just posturing for a payday, the odds are highly stacked against Brown if she has anything close to believable evidence.

Im fascinated to see how the NFL handles this.Everything about it is riveting. Fingers crossed the Pats end up with even alittle egg on their face.Its the small victories.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't think either are mentally ill in terms of diminished capacity to understand sexual assault. I have to admit I'm not aware of other substantiated allegations against Brown other than what people have posted here. From my POV this is about real evidence and the credibility of the victim. Preponderance of the evidence still presumes evidence.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Criminal charges are harder to prove. Most sexual assaults like this become he-said/she-said stuff and in criminal charges that rarely sticks, especially years down the line and against a rich & powerful man.

Her attorneys are probably telling her that and also telling her that if she pursues criminal charges and loses, it makes her civil case harder to win. That's why she and many women go civil and not criminal... she has a better chance of getting some kind of justice.

---

Given the above I hate that argument that her claims are somehow less valid because she's not pursuing criminal charges. Also, don't worry about starting a "gender war" here, there are literally zero women that post here anyway

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

While in a "training session" he was able to jizz on her back? Was playing Twister part of the workout?

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

NE employed a murderer for years. The owner is a fan of prostitution. Their starting safety played last week and will continue playing despite felony cocaine charges.

Now they have a rapist playing for them, naturally.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't take issue with it in terms of her credibility if she actually has credibility. She isn't his wife, doesn't work for him so she isn't dependent on him for her livelihood and she claims to have been mortified by his action the first time because of her religious views. She has a responsibility as an adult for not putting herself back in that position. Having not done that doesn't mean she isn't credible as to rape and assault. It means to me she's pretty irresponsible in terms of her own safety.

I get it about the incredible rates of sexual assault in our society. I also get that most of it goes unreported. I'm not willing to convict without some evidence and/or a very credible victim.

TonyFtLaud and zace like this.
  17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

But that is a valid argument. Yes i understand the burden I'd different, but it's very suspicious of the timing.

He gets a big money contract and suddenly there's a law suit? No criminal investigation? No rape kit..... which is about as useful as a lie detector anyway.

She doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because she made a claim and is female. When someone's life is in the crosshairs like this, she has to prove it.

Again you dont know what happened and neither do i. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there are women who target men with money and extort them. So instead of pretending like we know either of them..... let's just be real and say we're dont and we don't know what happened.

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Brown fits right in with Deflategate Tommy, Bill Belli-cheat , Aaron Hernandez, Josh Gordon...etc...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's it, accountability. If it bothered her the first time, why did she go back? She got on a plane to see him.

Im not say there she's asking it argument, but people need to be accountable for their actions. Not expect to be absolved of her bad decisions.

Let's watch it play out

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Shit, how many years did we have to watch Brian Schottenheimer run the offense?