2019 NFL Week 2: Cleveland Browns @ New York Jets (MNF)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There wasn't much to enjoy around the league week 1, but I did like seeing the Browns get smacked after an entire offseason of ludicrous hype.

This is a Monday night game. This game will also be the Jets' first ever 'blackout'. The team will debut its black uniforms and the fans are encouraged to wear black. If it goes anything like last week's game, fans are also encouraged to get blackout drunk.

The Browns were annihilated 43-13 by the Titans in their home opener. Baker got picked off 3 times and was clearly rattled when pressured. If you think we're disappointed after a 1 point loss against an elite defense, imagine how those fans feel.

Browns weaknesses:
    • This one's pretty obvious. Their offensive line is absolutely atrocious. I predicted all offseason that it could hamstring their entire offense, but even I didn't expect for it to completely shut down everything. Baker was sacked 5 times for 41 yards, and he was extremely inaccurate with some awful decisions under pressure too. The problem is, the Bills also have a bad OL and we didn't really capitalize. We're going to have to do a better job of getting home this week, because it's really our only option at shutting down this air-attack
    Browns strengths:
    • Their skill position group is among the best in the league. If you thought we had a problem with John Brown and Cole Beasley, just wait until you see our secondary have to cover Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry. Again, our only hope at shutting this down is to push the pocket and in a hurry, or else Baker is going to throw for 400 yards.
    • Their pass rush is equally impressive, and it's much better than that of the Bills. Myles Garrett, Olivier Vernon and Sheldon Richardson are a HANDFUL, and unfortunately I think it's going to lead to another painful game to watch. Tons of short checkdowns, sacks and Sam running for his life.
    Prediction:

I'm honestly not very optimistic about this one, despite the egg the Browns laid this week. They're similarly constructed to the Bills, only their positions of strength are stronger. We can't cover their wide receivers, and if we don't put up more of a pass rush than we did on Sunday we're going to get picked apart. Similarly, their pass rush is going to limit our ability to push the ball down the field. I think we're looking at 0-2 with trips to NE and PHI looming. No Bueno.

Browns: 34 Jets: 17

#1 Big Cat, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Patriot, K'OB, CBG and 5 others like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The only thing that scares me is the secondary against the Browns receivers.

If Mosley is healthy and we can rush Mayfield, we will force him to make mistakes. Tennessee proved that much.

I think we win this one. I think our offense comes out against a much less talented defense than Buffalo, and scores big.

Jets 27 Browns 14

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Biggest thing going for us is that Williams was the HC with Kitchens as the OC calling all the O. I think that is absolutely huge and will be an overlooked talking point for this game. Jump out early on them and we can see all those egos come out and explode.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It might be ugly. I thought this would be a loss back before we knew Gase was trying to make Darnold into Tannehill and our offense a worse version of the Dolphins. Our only hope is that Baker can’t see over the line, might be our best defense.

If Mosley is out, 34-10. If Mosley plays, 27-10.

5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Playing in Cleveland in prime time with their pass rush and this offensive line is a disaster waiting to happen. Browns are much better than they showed on Sunday. Browns 27-13

6. Big Cat

We’re home

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

One embattled coach is going to feel the wrath of a very angry fanbase. Which one is to be determined.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I don't see our D stopping the Browns skill position players and our OL containing their pass rush. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

9. Big Cat

I don’t think the Browns are significantly better than us, but their 2 greatest strengths are direct matchups with our 2 biggest weaknesses. Bad matchup.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  10. Falco21

This would make sense....

If we were playing in Cleveland

11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Hold our beers.

jetsclaps likes this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Mosley being a force on Monday if he even plays. And maybe he shouldn't. Groin injuries are tricky and easily aggravated.

13. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

As cliche as it sounds, the Browns game is a must win game. If we lose on Monday we could see the real possibility of going 0-6 to start the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's always the possibility of an anti-trap game.

FJF likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm not too worried about Beckham; his timing should be way off since the NFL won't let him wear his watch in games any longer.

16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Oops. I still stand by my prediction

17. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Confidence is very low. The kicking game will bite us in the ass again and the Jets lose 23-19. Jets miss multiple kicks, drop ints, fail to capitalize on turnovers, defense can't get a stop when it matters...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

18. Falco21

Normally I ignore your posts, but this was good hahaha!!

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I will take it a step further. The Jets at minimum need to be 3-5 going into the second half of the season to give themselves a shot at making a run in the final 8 games. Browns, at Pats, at Eagles, Cowboys, Pats, at Jaguars, at Dolphins is the 1st half of the season.
    IMHO the Browns, at Jaguars (Foles is out so that makes it easier to get a W), at Dolphins are all must wins. If the Jets can get an upset win in the brutal 4 game stretch coming up then great. Lose Monday and this season can snowball down hill real fast.

20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think that this is exactly right, including where the three wins would come from (I just can't see them beating the Pats, Eagles, or Cowboys, which is why I didn't predict the playoffs this year). I always thought a 2-4 start was the best to hope for, and I just don't see it now. Hope I'm wrong, but ...