Bertolet sucks! (We have a Kicker crisis)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sid Youngelman, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

also vikes fan here...vikes are traditionally as snakebitten as the jets but in different ways...

one of the most painful and obvious problems has been their FG kickers... kicking has been shit for years. Change kickers every year or so....still sucks.

I wouldn't pin too much of vedvik's performance here in MN on him. Not guaranteeing he's a stud.

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Looking at your avatar, I'd expect nothing less from you ;)

jilozzo likes this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I know Vedvik and Edwards are both on the roster, but I wonder if there's any chance that they'll eventually make Edwards inactive and make Vedvik the punter, at least in particular games when they want an extra body? He was in the top 20 in the country his senior year in college in punting yards average. Is there anyone other than Edwards who can hold on kicks?

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think we'd do it this year. First of all, Siemian didn't hold kicks when he was in Denver, they used their punter for that. Second, we're already taking a chance at kicker, I don't think we'd do it at punter too when Edwards is a decent punter. If Vedvik has a good year, I can see us trying him at punter next year, but first he has to prove he can hold the kicker job.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like your optimism, and sure hope that you're right. It would be awesome if he would develop into an All Pro level kicker and be our kicker for the next 15 years or so.

6. NCJetsfan

Interesting. If they do this, I'd love it if Falk was the holder and the one activated in those games. It would be awesome to run a fake FG and pick up either a crucial 1st down or even score a TD instead of a FG and break the other team's back.

7. NCJetsfan

Excellent point. If Falk is still on the PS next year (if he's eligible) what would you think if he or whomever our 3rd string QB was the holder?

8. HomeoftheJets

The only way I could see this kind of scenario playing out is if Vedvik wins the punting job next camp, Falk or someone else wins the backup QB job, and whoever that is can hold. I don't think playing every game with an inactive 3rd QB (who's useless aside from holding) or an inactive punter is good roster management. Anyway, at this point, I'm just hoping Vedvik makes it past Week 1.

#148 HomeoftheJets, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    NCJetsfan and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, even though Vedvik can punt - and has a strong enough leg to do it, doesn't mean he's a better option than Lachlan. I like the idea of Vedvik rounding into the PK job, but I do not want to double-down with him having both jobs. The most I'll go is that maybe Vedvik can punt further than Lachlan, and can do it once or twice when distance is crucial. Even that would be risky due to lack or reps etc. Imagine having one player do both, and then he gets hurt? Ouch. You need to bring two guys in for the next game, costing another player on the roster too. No thanks.

For now I'm hoping Vedvik can atone for an early miss or two with a 60 yarder at crunch time or the end of a half.

K'OB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I agree that it shouldn't be something that happens every game/week, but I was responding to the idea of strategically adding another active player. I don't think that would happen period as I don't think the Jets would have one player doing both the punting and kicking. I think one team did that a few years ago, but I don't remember who.

I'm of the opinion that I think it dumb that teams have to make 4 players inactive on Sunday. IMO if a player is on the team and practicing, he should be eligible to play on Sunday. I hope that changes with the new CBA. I don't see what is gained by owners having their PS and 4 other players inactive on Sunday.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it sounds like Vedvik could be cut. After the game Gase said something like - "we'll see on Monday"

anyone else available?

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

He's still not cut yet?

Have to get a guy in ASAP to start working with Edwards.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Maybe they can go pluck some kid from college.... "hey kid, wanna make 750K?"

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Vedvik's kickoffs were strong. I don't think any were returned. But yeah, not having confidence in your kicker is really bad. And I am talking confidence to make an extra point.............

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Ross fucking Martin

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, Vedvik is likely gone.

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

He was pretty much cut on the field when they went for 2 up by 14.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Seems like majority of fans on Twitter have been clamoring for this guy for a while now. He can't be any worse than Vedvik or Cat and if he is you just move on. It is what it is.

19. NCJetsfan

Both Sam Ficken and Elliott Fry are still out there as FAs, as is Ross Martin.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

It's shocking how bad Bertolet and Vedvik were. We've had busts (Mike Nugent) and scrubs we signed off the street (Randy Bullock) but even those guys could make a field goal. What we've experienced this year is Hackenkicking.