What Are Your Expectations for the 2019 New York Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 27, 2019.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

pretty much spot on, and maybe they catch a break and go 8-8.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

If the Jets start off 4-4 they make the playoffs. If they start off 2-2 or 2-3 theyre making the playoffs.

Regardless the last month of the season will have us playing games that count as we'll be in the mix

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Buffalo week 1 is an enormous game. Must win (and I think they will)

They have to split with the Patriots and beat either Philly or Dallas.

No feel for the Browns game. It'll be at home Monday night so will be a charged atmosphere. But I could see us winning that game and the Browns taking a bit of time to gel and find their footing

While it is a tough early schedule we are also a much improved team with a significantly better GM and coaching staff. If this was a Bowles/Mac team still...yes 1-7. But this is a franchise on the rise

First 8 I think 4-4. No worse than 3-5

#103 forevercursed, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  4. forevercursed

One thing I also hope starts either going our way this year (or at least is legislated fairly) is officiating. The Jets have really been screwed of late with bad calls costing them games

Green Bay last year was an absolute joke. Refs handed it to the Packers

That awful call vs the Browns last year. It was on a 2pt conversion. NFL later apologized to us

Against Tennessee last year. Recall the Titans final drive when the refs marched them down the field?

The ASJ play vs New England.

Has it cost us in the grand scheme of things? No, but still this season I'd like to see us benefit for once. Or at least this BS even out.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have said it for years: This is why the NFL is the best sport. It is Week 1 and you are truly correct: It is a must-win. Losing would set the Jets back for a realistic playoff spot.

6. forevercursed

As if 9/1 this is me at my most unbridled optimistic best case scenario

Wk 1: vs Bills 35-19 Win - Jets knock the Bills around and get revenge from last years home drubbing

Wk 2: vs Browns 36-33 Win - Thrilling Monday Night win in front of an electric crowd

Wk 3: at Patriots 26-24 Loss - Jets play well. Have NE on the ropes...the usual heartbreaker but lots of encouraging signs

Wk 4: BYE (hate having a bye this early)

Wk 5: at Eagles 23-10 Loss - same old. Can't beat Philly in the regular season

Wk 6: vs Cowboys 20-16 Loss - Gregg Williams, Quinnen Williams, Leonard Williams terrorize the overrated Dak but the Jets shoot themselves in the foot a bunch of times and lose a tough one

Wk 7: vs Patriots 23-19 Win - Great Darnold performance. Gutsy win coming off 3 straight losses. Jets play desperation football

Wk 8: at Jaguars 20-12 Loss - Letdown game. Jax will bounce back this year

Wk 9: at Dolphins 41-6 Win. - Crush the trash fish

Wk 10: vs Giants 31-20 Win - Giants aren't any good

Wk 11: at Redskins 24-15 Win - Redskins aren't that impressive. Jets pull away late here

Wk 12: vs Raiders 26-12 Win - Nice to not play them in dumpy Oakland.

Wk 13: at Bengals - 32-14 Win - Transitioning Bengals will have checked out on the season by then

Wk 14: vs Dolphins 30-20 Win - Fish are awful

Wk 15: at Ravens 16-10 Loss - Always have a tough time with the physical, well coached Ravens.

Wk 16: vs Steelers 20-12 Win. - Steelers will be tough but this is a year they take a step back.

Wk 17: at Bills 17-3 Win - Bitter cold, possibly snowy day. Bills are out of it. Jets play a sound mistake free game

11-5

What will it really be? 9-7 or 8-8.

But I just wanted to go through it with as optimistic and sunny outlook as I can.

After the Jags game...going anything less than 6-3 is unacceptable. Even week 16 Pittsburgh...I mean who knows what the Steelers will be this year around Christmas. They could be at 6-8 and not really interested anymore with the talent they've lost

mrmajix and Martin&theJETS like this.
  7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

My pure fact based expectations

Not good- like 6 or 7 wins

We still have sub par talent and depth despite Sam and Bell

My emotional expectations are 9-10 wins and playoffs

8. forevercursed

Yep. We wait so long for the NFL and then the season is over in the blink of an eye. Fortunes can change so quickly. Losing to the Bills and then having to go against a high octane Browns team...things could spiral out of control. But I have faith and confidence that the Gase/Douglas machine will have us prepared, focused, and far more mentally tough than before.

9. forevercursed

I really don't think we have sub par talent. Our talent is about average. It's just concentrated in some areas and lacking in others. And with such a QB driven league, a big step forward from Darnold would go a long way.

Our corners are lacking outside of Trumaine Johnson and even he's iffy. Our kicker...who knows. That could be a disaster. But nowhere else is our talent worse than average. O-line is about average. Backs are above average. D-line is above average. Safeties above average

I guess you can say linebackers as a whole are a bit below average with the loss of WIliamson.

10. Countsnake

Countsnake Member

Pats fan here. Love coming here because I enjoy Jets fans passion, and witty (sometimes stupid) takes. That being said. In a pass first NFL I think the Jets could struggle this season with your lack of talent and depth in your defensive backfield. You guys should have no problem moving the chains and scoring. But not sure you can stop anyone else from doing the same. Plus in a close game do you really trust your kicking game. I give you my honest opinion 9 and 7 is very possible. 10 wins if you can steal a game. Good luck this season.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

Yep. Agreed 100%. This is the moment everyone is (0-0). Optimism runs high!

Hey, that is a completely fair post. We have not seen the Jets Defense yet to fully know their secondary is a problem, but it has been speculated. My hope is Trumaine Johnson returns to form and Darryl Roberts is a solid #2. Adams and Maye should be able to help out the CB's too. And I also agree, games are close in the NFL, and no way the Jets trust their current kicking situation. Good luck to you too!

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Losing to the Dolphins when they're in full-blown tank mode? They've traded away every good player they had. Losing to the woeful Giants? Beating the Eagles, then losing to the Cowboys Beating the Steelers? Sorry, but I think this is a bad prediction.

13. NCJetsfan

There had better be. With the Dolphins in blatantly obvious tank mode, if the Jets don't beat them twice handily, then Gase and Williams will be in trouble.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Ten years ago I would have wished you good luck too. But you guys have had enough success this century.
    I hope you finish in last place (or at least miss the playoffs).

PabloJa and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

I am not sure I have ever seen a new Head Coach go into tank mode, but I am sure there are other examples. I do feel a little bad for Brian Flores. Adam Gase knew what was coming, so he wisely jumped ship!

No, still wish them good luck..... They are going to need it against our high-flying Jets! :cool:

16. NCJetsfan

I don't think it's a strategy. If it is, then whomever came up with it is insane. I don't claim to be an expert on any team, let alone the Dolphins, but AFAIK, they have nothing left on which to build. It appears that they've traded away every single good player on their roster except Raekwon McMillan. They traded away their best OL/LT (Tunsil) and best, or one of their top WRs in Stills. Who is the core group they're going to build upon? Rosen? Raekwon McMillan? Kenyan Drake? Mike Gesicki? Michael Deiter? I haven't even heard of most of their other players and I do keep up with whom the top players are in the draft every year.

#116 NCJetsfan, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel....I expect us to compete for a wildcard spot until the end

Ideally we’re one of those dangerous wildcard teams no one wants to see in the playoffs like when Rex was first here (obviously a different type team)

18. NCJetsfan

Wk 1: vs Bills - W

Wk 2: vs Browns - L

Wk 3: at Patriots - L

Wk 4: BYE (hate having a bye this early)

Wk 5: at Eagles - Loss

Wk 6: vs Cowboys - W

Wk 7: vs Patriots - L

Wk 8: at Jaguars -W

Wk 9: at Dolphins - W

Wk 10: vs Giants - W

Wk 11: at Redskins - W

Wk 12: vs Raiders - W.

Wk 13: at Bengals - W

Wk 14: vs Dolphins - W

Wk 15: at Ravens - L

Wk 16: vs Steelers -L

Wk 17: at Bills - L

9-7 or if they lose to the Jaguars, 8-8

19. The Dark Knight

So the Jets start (1-3), then go on a tear to get to (9-4), then completely collapse and miss the playoffs? That sounds about right! :D
    Definitely not a smart strategy! :)
    Yeah, that would be awesome. One of those hot, trending up teams. Jets-Chiefs AFC Championship Game sounds pretty good. I think we will see that one day. Maybe not this season, but soon.

King Koopa and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Yankjetfan, Jets81 and NCJetsfan like this.