Welcome New Jets Fans! - Introduce yo self

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Hey Joe, I just noticed this post of yours, Sorry I didn't sooner. I have walked around part of the old cemetery - during the day - but didn't know all that other stuff was available. Thanks for posting this. Maybe I'll check it out on one of my infrequent return visits.

How did you know about the Cornhuskers? Did you grow up/live around here? Small world.

Anyway, belated thanks for this.

2. ColoradoContrails

Hi SD, welcome. Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but a belated welcome anyway. You picked a tumultuous to time to join the board! Hang onto your hat!

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Welcome to the misery! LOL I look forward to reading your posts.

Baumeister and Brook! like this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Ma self is Jets81. I been around since William Jefferson Clinton was cOMander n chief.

Now is yo turn!

westiedog1 and Brook! like this.
  5. Hank Turner

Hank Turner New Member

Names Hank. I like the Jets. I like sitting on my porch. Enough said. I want to win a Super Bowl

Doreblade and Brook! like this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hang in there Hank. We will win one before Darnold hangs them up. Welcome to the board.

7. NCJetsfan

Welcome, Hank! I think our chances of winning a SB are on the upswing. I feel the most optimistic I've felt in 10 years or more.

8. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

Hello everyone.

I'm Steve from Sweden.
    I became interested in football at the age of 15 and played in an amature and semi-pro league in Sweden for nine years. I started watching NFL and became a Jet fan after watching them on Hard Knocks back in 2010 with Rex Ryan as their HC. I hope some day the Jets will return to those glory days. My favorite Jet of all time is Nick Mangold because there is just nothing more fun to watch than a dominant O-line pancaking the entire D.

westiedog1, regan62072 and Brook! like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Welcome Swe-Jet! I hope you don't have to wait as long as some of us for a return to the TRUE "glory days" of another Super Bowl! Good to have you aboard!

10. Brook!

Welcome Steve

We now have a guy from Finland (@FinnishJET ) and a guy from Sweden (you). Now we need a guy from Norway to complete the trifecta. Any Norwegian's out there? :)

11. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

And we must not forget about Denmark and Iceland. We are gonna invade this forum! :D

Swe-Jet, Brook! and regan62072 like this.
  12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well my grandfather is from Turku Finland and my grandmother from Varberg Sweden so I'm sure I probably have a Norwegian somewhere in my ancestry, does that count?

Swe-Jet, Brook! and FinnishJET like this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Funny... A guy with your lineage living in Florida... :)

Swe-Jet likes this.
  14. Brook!

It does. :)

The Waterboy likes this.
  15. Brook!

Bring it on. I love Nordic countries. :)

FinnishJET likes this.
  16. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

Thank you all for the warm welcomes :)

I will do my best to recruit some people from my neighboring countries. It might have been a lot easier to find a norwegian if Vedvik would have worked out as a kicker. But we just keep on fighting!

Brook! likes this.
  17. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

Fins are some badass fotball players! (By european standards).

I remember facing the finnish team Vantaa TAFT in our local football tournamnet. They were just a nightmare to play against.

regan62072 and Brook! like this.
  18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well they are both on the south end of their country and both near the coast. Plus I hate the cold. Im hoping to visit next year but it will definitely be in the summer

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Welcome Swe-Jet!

Brook! likes this.
  20. ManchesterChris

ManchesterChris New Member

Hi all
    I live in Manchester, cradle of the industrial revolution and home to two top football (sorry, soccer) teams. One of them is Manchester United, a global brand supported by celebrities and with fans from all over the world. On match day, the car parks are full of coaches from Ireland, Scandanavia and London. The other team is Manchester City, with most fans living locally and a recent history of failure. From 1976 to 2011 the team won nothing. But the fans stayed and cheered the team on. During the same period, United won everything. But since then, under new ownership, City have won the Premier League four times, the League Cup four times and the FA Cup twice. United are currently 10th in a league of 20 teams and heading in the opposite direction. Me, my wife, son and daughter are City fans. Long suffering but proud.

When visiting NYC last year, my son and I did the Meadowlands stadium tour and I'm ashamed to admit I went there as a Giants fan. They play in blue (like Manchester City) and Laurence Taylor used to be my favourite player. And yes, they were just a bit more successful than the other team which plays in the stadium. While there, in the gents toilets as it happens, I got talking to a guy called Steve. Steve and his wife were local Jets fans. In England, people don't talk to strangers at urinals but I guess new yorkers are a touch less inhibited. The discussion, thankfully, continued outside and he patiently explained that Giants had celebrity fans, glamour and glitz but Jets were local, loyal and, in his words, 'blue collar'. It was a light bulb moment. Giants were the United of NYC and Jets were City. It all made sense. When you live an ocean away, these nuances are difficult to understand.

In November 2020, my son and I are back in NYC and will time the trip to take in a Jets game. I hope to see Steve there (but maybe not where I met him). In the meantime, I'll be hoping for our first victory this weekend. Giants? What was I thinking?