What Are Your Expectations for the 2019 New York Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 27, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

There is one reason...CB. If they can play half decent I would agree with you, but that's a big If.

2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I believe this year is a total 180 from past years in that our offense will be keeping us in games & the defensive play will determine whether we win or lose. In the past it was always the defense that kept us in games and hoped the offense would score enough points to win the game.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I got 9 wins with this team. Corner is a concern. Defense is gonna give up tons of yards but I think they'll be much better in the redzone.

TonyFtLaud and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's funny.

He "retired" earlier THIS year.
    He started & played all 16 games in the 2018 season.

Whatever...even if he's a little rusty, I think he's a great addition for the Jets.

Both on the field and in the locker room.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the defense will be much better than people realize. They won't be playing Drew Brees every week! :)

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Personally, I think alot rest on Maye's shoulders. He will play the "Angel" as Williams calls it. Williams likes his corners to go for the ball and relies heavily on the deep safety to be there to cover for them.
    If Leo and Q Williams can get pressure up the middle and disrupt the opposing QB it can work. Our 1s ( at least those who played preseason) looked great vs opposing 1s. That's without most of the line and Bell. The one thing I fear is with the up tempo offense, three and outs will leave the D on the field to much,and without rest.

The Dark Knight and Ptflea2 like this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You don’t know how far he let his body go. Clearly far enough that it’s taken him a while to get back into shape. Most of camp/practice in fact. I’m glad you have supreme confidence in him.

And I never said he wasn’t a good addition, I simply said he’s a huge question mark at this point. Do you have some sort of inside information that we don’t? We all WANT to believe...

8. The Dark Knight

Forget 3 and Outs, the quick strike 80 yard TD's is what is going to tire out the Jets defense! :)

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I get your concern...Kalil lost a lot of weight in retirement that he had to gain back.

But he's been open about the process...says he's nearly there physically and more importantly mentally.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-kalil-closer-playing-feeling-old-self-224412491--nfl.html

''I feel like I'm getting my legs back,'' Kalil said Tuesday, ''and feel like my old self.''

It all led to Kalil signing a one-year deal with the Jets earlier this month, and began a process to him getting back on the field in a game. It nearly happened last Saturday night against New Orleans, but instead it will wait until the regular season.

''We were talking throughout the week whether we're going to play or not,'' he said. ''Just, last minute, we just decided just to give me more time - more so mentally than physically.''

The last few weeks have been all about Kalil getting back into football shape and learning the terminology of coach Adam Gase's playbook.

Kalil, who made five Pro Bowls with the Panthers, is confident that by the time the regular season kicks off on Sept. 8, he'll be where he needs to be mentally, as far as having the plays down.

When asked if he has second-guessed his decision at any point so far during his comeback, Kalil insisted he hasn't.

''No, those moments came in the offseason and that's why that's why I'm here,'' he said. ''So, no, listen, I'm fired up to be here. I'm excited and, obviously, I just want to do well. It's important to a lot of guys in this locker room and, you know, I don't want to let them down.''

''Listen, I can relate more than anybody, I think,'' Kalil said. ''I understand where he's coming from. It's hard. You get stuck in a scenario where you don't feel quite like yourself.''

Kalil made his initial decision to retire entering last season, playing all 16 games with the intention of it being his farewell to football.

''I was going into that season feeling like my old self and then I stayed my old self throughout that year,'' he said. ''So it's a little bit different of a situation. Sounds like from what I've been hearing, it was probably a little bit worse (for Luck) than people think, so, I get that. I mean, I get him not wanting to be stuck in that again because it's hard, it's hard physically. And it's definitely hard mentally.''

''The more practices we can get under our belts the better, between this one and then when we kind of get going again next week,'' Gase said. ''It's a good first step for us. It seemed like it was pretty smooth.''

''That's why we should just get rid of the whole preseason thing for older guys, you know?'' Kalil said with a big grin. ''Just make it all young guys.''

CotcheryFan and Jets81 like this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I was not talking about how successful the coaching careers of those HC's turned out to be.
    The point went over your head and you are arguing something else altogether.
    So your replies have essentially been worthless.

If you think this coaching staff is worth a shit, you shouldn't be predicting 3-6 wins with this much talent.
    To take it a step further, if this team only notches 3-6 wins as you suggested in this thread, that would be a worse coaching effort than Bowles last season, and should result in immediate firings.
    These guys will be riding a honeymoon wave with a lot of talent to back them up.

#70 BacktoQueens, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    TonyFtLaud and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Maybe I will be surprised but my expectations are very low. I just think the team has too many holes and that Gase is a bad coach. If they win more than 6 games I will be surprised if they win 8 I will be happy and if they win 10 I would be thrilled ,that said with this secondary and a questionable pass rush with zero depth at linebacker and an O line that I still think is not very good I expect 6 wins and many people out on ledges.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

With a few breaks 7-9. Stuff goes against us 4-12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Easy. The offensive line sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We have disagreed in the past

But my gut is screaming you are spot on...I see lots of unexpected positives with this Jets team

Who was running the Franchise under said 6 Coaches? No decent GM other than Parcells right?

It's my firm belief that even with great talent you MUST have brilliant management

Douglas and Gase will be the difference makers going forward imo

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The talent is mediocre and in some key positions outright terrible. That's why the GM was canned after the draft and FA not before it. No coaching staff can make up for a lack of pass rush and bad CB play. No coaching staff can make up for crappy WR and a bad OL.

To take it a step further the off season is a competition and we went into the off season with a 4 and 12 GM. The Pats drafting last had a far better draft than we did.

Gase gets a complete pass from me because he probably engineered getting rid of Mac.

#75 Biggs, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Unhappyjetsfan and Wahoo like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We had mediocre talent with Fitz and Company plus Toilet Bowles calling the shots>>>still got to 10 wins

I am not sure of most of Macs 2019 draft picks so far other than it looks like Q Williams will be a disruptive key for us on Defense

Yes, the Pats Draft is always good year after year given that their HC is the GOAT

Let me reiterate Biggs how true your statement is...Gase was smart enough to relieve us of Macnitwit and replace him with a much smarter guy managing the Team. This will pay Dividends

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That team had the No. 4 D in the league and much more talent at WR. This team has some flasher talent but much bigger holes at key positions.

18. The Dark Knight

New expectation: The Jets will lose a game or two via a missed field goal! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ralebird likes this.
  19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Last year I saw KC play terrible defense on a regular basis. They just kept scoring as much as they needed. The NFL is made for fantasy and the rules do not allow for much defense anyway. If they can keep Darnold and his weapons on the field for most of the season they should outscore most teams and win enough games to be close to a playoff spot. Of course, all close games are decided by the officials so a blowout or two would help.
    Regardless enjoy the season and don't fire the coaching staff after the first loss.

20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

So you expect everything to go right.