What Are Your Expectations for the 2019 New York Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 27, 2019.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think they split with the Bills as I think both teams are evenly matched. They "should" beat the other teams you mentioned.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, still can't tell how good Buffalo will be. A lot comes down to Josh Allen. They have a solid defense, but not sure how good the offense will be.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah...the CB situation is tough, as is depth.

But Kalil is anything but a "total question mark".

If anything, the question mark is Sam Darnold.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm going to say it again.....the last 6 head coaches for the Jets won a minimum of 9 games in their first year, with half of them winning 10 games.
    And none of them had the benefit of starting a QB nearly as good as Darnold.

I don't understand how some of you are blowing the coaching staff in one sentence, and then predicting a lesser record in the next.
    The talent is there to compete for the playoffs.
    If we have a losing record, something seriously went wrong.

5. BacktoQueens

I do think Kalil is a question mark, as is CB depth.
    Not impossible to overcome though.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What do you know about Kalils performance as a Jet right now? The only thing I’ve heard is that he snapped a ball over Darnolds head.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That would be last year.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

To be fair, he didn’t say it was a long time ago, just that he couldn’t remember. Short term memory loss is a bitch

TonyFtLaud and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm always amused by people who state what "the views of the Jets fanbase" are, as if such a thing even exists. Different Jets fans, like any other fanbase, have lots of different views on things. The people who are less optimistic about the won-loss record in 2019 (like me) are not the same people as the ones who are claiming that the new coaching staff will be brilliant innovators bringing out the best in all of the players, or saying that Darnold is going to throw for 4500 yards with 35 touchdown passes. There's absolutely nothing inconsistent with anything I've said about the season, and I'll bet that's true for just about everyone else, too, whether they're optimistic or pessimistic. My view is that Darnold will be considerably better this year,but that means top 15, not top 5; the offensive line will be below average; the front 7 on defense could be above average, but will not be elite; and the secondary will at best be average, with very good safeties and very bad cornerbacks. Depth at almost every position ranges from poor to mediocre, so injuries even to less crucial positions could have major negative repercussions. That adds up to around 8-8 to me, with of course a game or two having outcomes that are coin flips. If the coins come up heads game 16 could be very exciting; if they come up tails the last three or four games could easily be meaningless.

Ralebird, hornblower, twown and 2 others like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's just silly. You think he's forgotten how to snap the ball?

The guy's a stud muffin...filling a big whole.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Bowles took over a bad team went 10 and 6 and reverted to the mean the following year. Ryan took over a 9 and 7 team and went 9 and 7. Mangini took over a 4 win team where Pennington was hurt and didn't play. The year before with Pennington they went 10 and 6. Manginin had a healthy Pennington in his first year and reverted to the mean the following year when he was injured again. Parcells turned around a terrible team. Kottie went 3 and 13 in his first year.

The only HC out of the last 6 that turned the team around was Parcells. That coaching staff was arguably one of the 5 best coaching staffs in NFL history.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

Reverting to the mean in year 2 is what I worry about with this coaching staff as well, but that's not the point.

Fact is all 6 of our previous coaches won at least 9 games in year 1, even with a struggling rookie QB like Sanchez, a journeyman like Fitz, Testaverde and Pennington coming off major injuries, etc....

This team has talent, a better QB, and new head coaches tend to have that initial burst.
    If this CS can't even go .500 short of major injuries, than I'd have serious concerns about them.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

6-8 wins. Talent is paper thin at a lot of spots.
    Just hope Sam continues to progress into the franchise qb I believe he can be.
    2020 is setting up for the Year of the Jets!!!

14. BacktoQueens

fwiw, only 2 of those 6 coaches managed to improve the record year 2, after a strong year 1.
    That was Parcells and Rex (Herm also made the playoffs) but that's a topic for next offseason.
    Gotta get a strong year 1 first.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Katie went 3 and 13. Fact is with the exception of Parcells all 5 of the last 6 Jets HC were ass.

16. BacktoQueens

Kotite wasn't one of our last 6 head coaches.
    Try to keep up.
    They were Bowles, Rex, Mangini, Herm, Groh and Parcells.

If you think all of those coaches were ass, then you shouldn't think this coaching staff will do worse with a better situation.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No I don’t think he’s forgotten, but I haven’t seen enough of the guy who just came out of retirement to have total faith. Guess we’ll see.

18. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Really? I mean, how long have you been a Jets fan lol

Look back at what you wrote. I see a lot of question marks and a long history of dysfunction. I am hopeful for the future with Darnold, and the new GM seems very solid. If everything progresses well and we catch a few lucky breaks maybe we can hit 8 and 8?

Ralebird and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Many things could go wrong to lead to a poor record in 2019, but many things could go well to lead to success too. (8-8) would be a fair expectation, but (5-11) seems way too low to me. I admit I always take an optimistic approach, but I think (10-6) and a playoff birth is realistic for this team. We will see how they look Week 1 though. Afterwards, people will be adjusting their predictions, for better or worse. :)

NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Forgot about Groh. Also took over a very good team.

Gase went 10 and 6 in his first year in Miami.
    BB went 6 and 10 in his first year in Cleveland and 5 and 11 in his first year in NE
    Tom Landry 0 and 11
    Chuck Knoll 1 and 13
    Bill Parcelss 3 and 12
    Tom Coughlin 4 and 12
    Mike Shanahan 7 and 9
    Joe Gibbs 8 and 8
    Weeb 3 and 9 with the Colts 5 8 and 1 with the Jets
    Bill Walsh 2 and 14
    Jimmy Johnson 1 and 15 with Dallas 8 and 8 with the Dolphins
    Ron Rivera 6 and 10
    Rex Ryan 9 and 7 with the Jets 8 and 8 with the Bills

I think your point is worthless. There are numerous examples of HC having very good first years who were not very good coaches. There are plenty of HOF HC who had terrible records in their first year.

This year is a little bit of an anomaly because the GM was fired after the draft and FA and after the HC was hired.

I do think almost every Jets HC not named Parcells and Weeb were at best mediocre HC who's record was a reflection of the talent relative to the league. In this case our GM being fired after FA and the draft has set the program back by a year. I do expect Gase to get much better results out of our O. I think it's likely that our D is worse than last years personal wise.

twown and HomeoftheJets like this.