What Are Your Expectations for the 2019 New York Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 27, 2019.

1. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

Cornerbacks will be the reason the Jets go 8-8 this season. If by some miracle Greg Williams can compensate for the weakness, then I can see the Jets as a 10-6 team. I expect Darnold to play above average this season. If he has a 2:1 TD to Interception ratio, then that is fine.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. I think 10 wins is realistic, just not sure which 10 it will be!
    Good point about 2020. I hope it is, but they have to do it first in 2019.
    Yeah, those first seven games are really tough. I think (3-4) or (4-3) is doable though. For some reason the least confident game of them all for me is the Eagles. Maybe it is because the Jets have NEVER beaten them. :D

NYJetsO12 and Yankjetfan like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Seeing as we won 4 games last year with a zombie at the wheel...

I think 9-7 is reasonable...10-6 is optimistic...11-5 would give me wood.

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight and TonyFtLaud like this.
  4. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Just look like ya came to play and prepared through the week. What else can we ask for?

PabloJa, Peebag, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I predict we win the first game and the forum goes nuclear with VLT predictions before we settle down to an 8-8 record.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Our record was 4 - 12 but there was more than 4 wins worth of talent there. Coaching as you mentioned. Losing Powell and Crowell having to play injured because there was no one else to spell him from week 6 thru 14 , the numerous injuries at WR. Losing Maye most of the year, TJ's injuries. Long playing injured ,(see coaching) Darnold's injury. Lots of winnable games slipped away, and the schedule was brutal. Short weeks,travel. Should have been 7-8 wins minimum.
    Darnold's mechanics look much improved, his command of the huddle looks much improved. The faster tempo, the additions of Bell, Crowder, Osemele and Ryan Kalil should be major improvements on offense . Mosley, Q Williams and having Maye back should be big upgrades on the D side. An easier schedule, near no travel and an entire new staff. Barring injury 9 wins should be the floor. 10 should be no surprise. Hell, the Dolphins are gifting us 2 wins before the season even starts.

7. The Dark Knight

Yeah, no more 41-10 losses to the Bills with a 5th string QB at home, please. That kind of stuff is unacceptable.

8. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I would love 7-9 but my expectations are 5-11. Hopefully Darnold and the offense keep progressing, and next year we can aim for the playoffs!

Ralebird, The Dark Knight and jilozzo like this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Negative Nancy.....LOL.

i fully agree. LOL

sozopol and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

NE can't win it every year.

It feels like I've been saying that most years since 2001 but it's true.

Perhaps this is the year they fall back to the pack a bit and someone else rises up to take it from them.

Why not us?

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Father time catches up to Brady or a fractured femur does him in

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I have no idea but I'm optimistic/hopeful.

It depends on how Darnold/Gase tandem develops. This is not a team built to win with defense and a power running game like they were in the Sanchez years.

If Darnold looks special I think they can be very good, if he looks ordinary or worse ...

His play in the preseason gave me hope but we'll see how he 's progressed when teams are gameplanning.

*fingers crossed*

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

To be a fun and exciting team. That's my expectations.

Can't remember the last time I could say I've rooted for a Jets offense and a Jets defense combined with this much pure talent at skilled player positions; on both sides of the ball. Including franchise QB within the makings.

I just want to enjoy this season so much young talent surrounded by a couple of awesome veterans. I think this team is going to be so much fun to watch.

hornblower and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

cut and past from Brooks! predict the record thread...

This is a tough one, it really depends on how they start the season in the first 6 games. I can see them possibly going 7-3 the last 10 games but they could start the season 1-5 or up to 3-3 (anything better than a 3-3 start is unlikely but if it happens look out they could be a playoff team). I'm going with 8-8. I think they'll start 2-4 and finish the last 10 games 6-4, just enough to show improvement to excite the fan base but sprinkle in a few maddening losses (it's the Jets ya know) to remind fans they aren't quite there yet.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets are a very flawed team built by a crappy GM. That has to be balanced by a league filled with flawed team. In a vacuum this is a 3 to 6 win team. In the NFL it's a 4 to 10 win team. My expectations are low. I expect Sam to surprise to the upside. I can see our D being a hot mess and our WR are among the worst group in the league. This team has some very talented players but we also have lots of mediocre to poor players in key positions that will be exploited by the better coached teams.

I do think we have a brilliant offensive minded HC. I'm suspect of what Williams can get out of a group that lacks talent at CB and on the edge.

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

This team is a work in progress. If everything goes their way (Darnold takes the next step in becoming a franchise QB, Bell has a good/great year, they don't suffer any killer injuries, and the OL and secondary do better than expected) then I could see this team competing for a WC. If not then at least 7 or 8 wins. I do think they will be better but how much better I have no idea. I do think our GM will do a good job and build the Jets into a contender but I think that will happen for 2020 and beyond.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m expecting the Jets to disappoint a lot of people on this board because I think they’re a .500 team. I think it’ll be hard for them to hold a lead with the CB situation what it is, and I don’t know if the offense will be good enough to just pile the points on. We lack depth, so most injuries are major injuries for this team. The OL is improved on paper but we haven’t seen them play together as a unit yet. Kalil is a total question mark.

I do expect the team to score more then they have in recent years, and I have higher expectations for Darnold then many on the board based on the predict his stats thread. All in all, if Darnold makes the jump I’m hoping he does, we’ll be in every game this season and we’ll be primed to make a run in 2020 after patching up the broken areas on the roster. If a couple close ones go our way then we’re in the hunt late in the season.

#37 Jets81, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  18. The Dark Knight

I don't see how you can watch how terrible and horrendous the Jets were in 2018, with really bad coaching, a rookie QB, no defense, no adjustments, blowing many games they could have won, and going (4-12), then see them add Adam Gase, Gregg Williams, Leveon Bell, CJ Mosley, and so on, Darnold adds a year of experience and is ready to make a leap, etc and say "Yeah, that is good for one more win. I expect them to go (5-11). That blows my mind.

19. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

Overly simplistic view: 8-8 season is possible with some luck.

I have wins against Miami x 2, Buffalo X 2, Giants, Raiders & Bengals. That's 7 wins right there. Jets may get lucky and take one from the Pats or beat the Browns in week 2.
    I think the Browns game will tell us a lot about where the team really is this season. If we win that one I'll have a much better feeling about the team for the season...….

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Like most I expect to watch a professional and competent team week in and week out for a change.

I think the offense, barring injury, will be fun and put up points.

This defense will be bad. I mean bottom of the league bad. Our genius ex-gm spent a gazillion dollars on a middle LBer and gave Daryl Roberts starter money.

I expect to see a ton of close games with the defense faltering late. Probably 8-8.