3 Teams Most Likely to End Playoff Drought

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Aug 12, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's exactly the hype i'm talking about. jimmy g has been oft injured and mediocre. he's only started 10 game sin his 5 year career and hasn't done anything special but people speak of him as if he was mahomes winning the MVP or something. Darnold is irrelevant. he was a rookie last year and on a rookie deal. he wasn't handed 137.5 million dollar contract based on 7 games played in a 4 year span. Hell his 1st real action since coming back last week he was 1-6 for 0 yards and an INT. As i said, I don't see why people are so high on jimmy g. It's not a knock on the niners, it's a knock on jimmy g himself

also there is a long list of QBs groomed by BB and TB that never panned out over the past 15 years as well.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

When has he ever been mediocre? When he has started he has been very good. He's complete body of work is excellent. 97.3 QBR. 65% plus percent completion, 2.2 INT to TD ratio, Yards per attempt 8.2. Those are solid numbers. He's also 8 and 2 in 10 game starts.

Aron Rodgers going into his 4th year had zero game starts.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It's appropriate to crap on the 9ers for that move.
    Giving up a 2nd, plus 27M per year in the hopes the guy could be a franchise QB? That was a reach.

In terms of Jimmy G being mediocre, the 9ers would be lucky if achieves mediocre at this point.
    Mediocre would mean he's around 15th best QB in the league, and as of this point, he's quite a ways off that mark.

4. GasedAndConfused

the 8-2 is a big reason for his hype. hell fitzpatrick had a better year for us and a few big years and is mediocre. he's only started 10 games in a 5 year career (not counting his garbage time games since he didn't start or play a full game) and even at that if we pace out his production over 16 games it would be 4448 yards, 25.6 TDs, 12.8 INTs. it's not bad but it's far form excellent. If we take that and compare it to QB stats from last season that would be 6th in yards, 13 in TDS, INTS are tricky but if we only count QBs who started all 16 games he's 12th out of 16 for least INTs and that doesn't include brees who only had 5 but sat the final week to rest for playoffs or it would knock jimmy g down further. there were also 17 QBs who started at least 13 games with a higher completion % last year. I wouldn't call him excellent. only thing he's top 10 in would be yards. he's a middle of the pack guy with a small resume. when he starts being top 10 across the board for several years then we can say he's been excellent. hell people here shit on us trying to sign cousins and this was cousins 2018 season 70% completion, 4300 yards, 30TDs, 10 INTs, 99.7QBR across the board better then jimmy g projection

5. GasedAndConfused

I cna't really crap on them. look at it this way. how is giving up a 2nd for him worse then us drafting geno or hack? he's a better QB then those 2 2nd round picks. he is less risk then a 2nd round pick as well. they needed a QB and had a ton of cap room. cap room doesn't win games. so they front loaded a 2 year deal that doesn't hurt the team if he's bad all things considered but if he's good pays him like an elite QB. only one that gets screwed is the owner for paying out so much cash to an unproven player but that doesn't effect the teams building or chances.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly right. The owner backed his coach and GM with his money without hurting the team. As a 50 plus year Jets fan I respect that.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

yup. i really like what SF did with that contract. the only thing they have to lose out on is cash form the owner and owners should be willing to take that risk as they make more then enough profit to pay out and take a risk like that.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Well the difference would be the 27M per year wouldn't it?

I like they gave themselves an out after a couple years, similar to how Mac would structure his deals, but overall it was a poor and expensive gamble.
    Doesn't look like it's working out either.
    I'd say that warrants some criticism.

At least with Cousins by comparison, Minn didn't have to give up a pick, and the player had a top 15 floor.
    More guaranteed money, but for a much more proven player.

9. GasedAndConfused

yes the difference is 27 million (actually more like 60 million they committed to him) but cap space doesn't win you games. he didn't cost them to lose any players or be able to sign players as SF had a ton of cap space so they front loaded it out. in short the only thing the money matters to is the owner as far as cash flow. if he sucks this year they can cut him with no issue. if he's good or even elite they have him locked down for 3 more years at a reasonable price. Only way the money would have matters is if they paid him over someone better they could have which in this case there wasn't.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

No qb making what he's making should EVER have his level of play compared to that of Nathan Peterman as I've seen this training camp/preseason.

For people that think the bright lights are gonna go on and his level of play will magically revert to that of a big money qb ...

PFFT!!!!

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you are gonna look pretty dumb if the 49ers start 4-0 or something lol

don't take too much stock in the preseason....ever.

12. WarriorRB28

I don't care about Ws & Ls in preseason.

That said how the starters and key backups look in the preseason matter. No doubt about it.

You think Garoppolo is gonna flip a switch and go from looking how he's looked in training camp & preseason 2019 to a QB worthy of a $27 million per year contract when teams are gameplanning against him?

I think that's crazy.

The 49ers are in trouble.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

its happens every year. I remember one year the Patriots got rocked in the 3rd preseason game against the Lions on National TV. Brady looked like shit and really the entire starting group was awful. IT didn't matter. It never does. the preseason is a fraud, I'll never make conclusions from it

14. WarriorRB28

I wouldn't use the team of the century (so far) as a example of what the norm is.

That like much of what the Pats do is NOT the norm.