3 Teams Most Likely to End Playoff Drought

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I was born in 1996, I’ve seen many Gregg Williams defenses. I’ve also been around long enough to know that fans like to latch onto familiar names and most automatically assume that just because someone has a name they’ve heard of, they’re probably good.

Here are Gregg Williams defensive rankings over the last 2 decades. He’s pretty consistently coached his teams right into the middle of the pack: https://www.fantasyindex.com/2018/08/25/defensive-notes/fiery-gregg-williams

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If Sam Darnold and co. Can put up 30 ppg with a middle of the pack defense we could be looking at a VERY special 2019 season.:)

3. WarriorRB28

He's always seemed to have that monster pass rusher. Jevon Kearse in Tennessee, Myles Garrett in Cleveland. Who will that guy be with the Jets?

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Yea, I think our best hope in 2019 is to be a lite-version of the 2018 Chiefs. I think our defense will be slightly better, but our offense will be a little worse (because of the supporting cast; I still whole-heartedly believe that Darnold can be as productive as Mahomes in a similar situation).

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Darnold and Mahomes can both make magic, but they both tend to throw from awkward positions. That's fine for Mahomes because he has a nuclear arm, but Darnold doesn't which means he can get intercepted. So Darnold needs to learn when he can attempt those throws and when he can't if he's going to be elite.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Jets are not going to average 30 points per game on offense, since on average one or two teams a year do it, and they've typically been quarterbacked by people named Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, and last year Mahomes. I don't see any reason to think that Darnold is going to have that kind of season this year, particularly with this offensive line. Averaging 25 points per game should put them solidly in the top ten of the league, which is pretty good, and expecting more than that strikes me as unrealistic.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yeah but Darnold can roll out of bed and sling that thing...

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone really expects the Jets to average 30 a game. It was more of a joke that we’d need to in order to win games this season. 25 points does sound reasonable though. Should be enough to keep us in games and relevant late into the season. Provided we escape the first 4 games intact.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Garrapollo looking like trash this preseason.
    Managed to score a 0.0 rating. Ouch

Just more evidence that Belichick and the system is what leads to success in NE, not the QBs.

10. WarriorRB28

The Pats are laughing all the way to the bank on that one.

The GM that traded a high pick and gave him $27 million per year should be fired immediately. That just might be the worst contract in NFL history.

11. WarriorRB28

Why compare the Jets to those chokers?

Gase has a historic offense of his own in his past. I'm hoping this offense resembles the 2013 Broncos BUT Bell brings a dimension that offense didn't have.

My concern with Bell isn't that they'll wear him out it's that they won't give him enough touches.:(

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Jets are gonna run Bell into the ground. Bell wants it - he's chomping at the bit after sitting out a year, and the Jets gave him all that money to use him.

It's essentially a 2-year deal. the Jets can cut Bell after 2020 and only be on the hook for 4 million. That means they will run the everloving shit out of him in 2019 & 2020 to get their money's worth and then decide. I've heard rumors of "historic" amounts of touches for LeVeon Bell and I believe it. He will get the ball A LOT.

NYJFOREVER and Jets81 like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

throw me on board with not understanding the niners and garappolo love. jimmy g is the most overated QB i've seen. he was a 3 year back-up to brady who in 3 years only started 2 games when brady was suspended and mind you he played well but didn't light it up. then SF trades a 2nd rounder for him and gives him a 5 year cotnract worth 27.5 mil a season which at the time made him a top 3 paid QB in the NFL. even now with new contracts future HOFers like rodgers passed him up but he's still top 7 and paid more then guys like stafford, wilson, cousins, etc who all made pro bowls. he's paid more then brees, luck, and brady as well. in 2 years with SF he's only started 8 games (25% of possible starts). the 1st season they didn't even play him until the end of the year. then season 2 after the big contract he got hurt. I don't see why people are so high on him or how he's worth that contract and SF is lacking talent overall on offense

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He isn't paid more than any of them, he's paid less. He got paid 41 million in his first year when they hardly played him. It was an upfront investment to have his cap go down as the team was built up. He's cap hit this year is under 20 million.

Drew Brees 22.7
    Tom Brady 21.5
    Krik Cousins 29
    Russell Wilson 26.2
    Aron Rodger 26.5

The cap is going up QB's contracts and cap hits are going up. Garrappolo's cap hit is going down. If he sucks anything they gave him is too much but they can also cut him at the end of this year. If he's a legit franchise QB, after Dak gets paid it's going to look like a very good contract.

At the time they traded for him they sucked they had a ton of money and it was a well structured contract for the 49ers.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  15. WarriorRB28

I hope you're right. I really really REALLY do.

BUT

The early signs point to him not getting the ball enough.

It's the opposite of when the Jets signed that STINKIN' OLD JAG Matt Forte after Bilal Powell's sensational end to the 2015 season. I remember reading about how excited Chan Gailey was to unwrap his new toy they were gonna do this with him, that, that and that I got the feeling we were screwed. Sure enough they fed that stinkin' old JAG the rock like crazy and Powell got relegated to a bit role.

Leveon is the real deal. He can run it, he can catch it he can do it all but I cringe when I've read the stuff that came out so far. How Gase didn't really want the Jets to sign him. Not playing him at all this preseason (very dumb) after he didn't play at all last season. You think he's in NFL game shape? No way man.

Then there's the Ty Montgomery love fest so far in camp/preseason and how he'll definately have a role (i.e. take away touches from Bell) in this offense.

Bell will get the ball I'm just worried it won't be as much as he should get it.

16. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

C’mon... im not sold on jimmy G either, but thats a pretty strong conclusion to come to based on 6 preseason passes in his first game action in almost a year.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

cap hit =/= paid. yes it was front loaded for cap reasons but when you talk about how much a player is paid, it's done on a money per year average.

jimmy is at 27.5 mil a season
    stafford 27
    brees 25
    luck 24.5
    brady 23

on top of that due to the front load he got paid 42.6 million cash in 2018 and in 2019 is getting another 18.6 mil cash. that's 61.2 mil paid out in the 1st 2 years of the contract which makes it over 30 mil a year for the 1st 2 seasons. even the backload seasons aren't small. he still has a salary for the final 3 years of 24 mil a year. the structure though allows them to cut him after this season if they want to with a very minimal cap penalty (4 mil in 2020) but even if they do that he still got paid over 60 mil for 2 seasons

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Again so what. The 49ers sucked they gave up very little to get him based on his potential to turn the franchise around and had the cash. They can cut him after this year. Why complain about a team that sucked with no QB putting cash that was available when the sucked in a potential franchise QB? To me it showed that management had both a commitment to the future and a smart business plan. it also showed a commitment by the owner.

You're focusing on the cash. The 49ers were focused on the cap implications for building their team. They love Garappolo as a potential franchise QB. Low risk high potential return.

If Garappolo is a franchise QB he will be cheaper than both Wilson and Goff who are in the division. Cheaper than Rodgers and Stafford who are in the conference. If he isn't they cut him after this year or trade him with a very small dead cap hit. If they love him he's tied up.

19. GasedAndConfused

I'm not complaining about what the niners did at all. It was a smart move. giving up a 2nd for a potential FQB and then front loading the deal when you have a ton of cap room and structuring it in a way that he can be cut in 2 years with very minimal dead cap is great. I think their GM did a great deal with the whole thing. I wasn't crapping on them. I was just saying that based on his performance thus far, he's way overpaid and I don't get all the hype around him

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What hype? He has been terrific in a relatively small sample size. He was groomed by BB and Tom Brady. That's not hype that's just what it is. There are a lot of good football people including BB who think he's going to be a bonafide franchise QB.

Sam Darnold based on his performance last year was grossly overpaid.