3 Teams Most Likely to End Playoff Drought

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Aug 12, 2019.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

When has a Gregg Williams defense ever looked that bad? This isn't Rob Ryan we're talking about here.

He's one of the top defensive minds of the past 20 years. Just about every defense he's coached going back to his days with the Titans if I only got one adjective to describe them it's

Fierce.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. WarriorRB28

We'll find out about him this season.

Once and for all.

3. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

Is it me or does Baker Mayfield look like uncle Rico with that mustache?

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I haven't studied the history of Greg Williams. He’s got a gaping hole at CB and now he’s down a starting LB. I have no idea what it’s going to look like. I have a feeling he’s still going to try to live and die by the blitz, and if that’s the case, some games could get ugly.

5. WarriorRB28

Neither have I.

But everywhere he's been I can remember him putting a strong defense out on the field. Tennessee, Buffalo, Washington, New Orleans etc. I can't remember him ever putting a sieve of a defense out on the field.

IF that's the case it'd likely be the first time it's happened to him.

I'm confident that IF Darnold can take that next step and puts up 30 ppg more often that not it'll be good enough for the Jets to win.

I can't imagine a Gregg Williams defense allowing 30+ ppg.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Gave up 25 points a game in Cleveland in 2017. 24 points a game with the Rams the year before. He’s had 3 top 10 defenses in points allowed in 13 years and on average falls somewhere around 18th. I won’t spend the time to look at the game by game scores but I’m pretty sure there were some blowouts in there. Greg Williams is not some unstoppable force of a DC.

stinkyB, Big Cat, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree, he is not a miracle worker, and he has a porous secondary IMO. But, It's far, far better than our past two regimes. At least we will not be predictable up the kazooo.

Jets81 likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's better than the Bowles regime, at least when Rodgers called the plays. But Rex had some incredible defenses here, far better than anything Williams has had in the past 15 years.

Big Cat, Jets81 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We are making a Wild Card ! :)

Heres why:

The Coaching/Management

Sam Darnold is great

Offense Loaded with weapons Bell, Crowdwer, Enunwa, Robbie A..trio of RBs

OL is slowly improved per GM moves

Defense has stars and enthused DC..our CBs are suspect but may get solved by GM down the road

Very favorable schedule

Team pumped to win.. may be able to Upset New England at least one game imo.

Browns are similar.. it will be one of hardest games for us but I foresee lots of winning this season:cool:

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I wonder about the predictability aspect. If he’s going to bring the house a good portion of the time, that can get predictable. Guys like Brady will pick it up after a time and tear it apart. No matter how you look at it, it’s going to be interesting to watch the Jets this season.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. Our secondary can not cover very long if at all. Exposure when you are man to man and bring in the house can be deadly with Brady. The way to beat him, IMO, is enormous pressure down the middle of the pocket with the D line. Matter of fact, all the talk about Rex, we still got burned plenty of times with the bring in the house theory. Hope we learn, particularly since Rex had much, much better corner play.

12. WarriorRB28

In Gregg Williams I trust.

The Jets may not have the #1 D or even a top 10 or top 15 D but I am confident that if Darnold puts up 30 ppg it'll be enough to win most weeks. The Jets will not have a bottom of the barrel unit.

IN GREGG WILLIAMS I TRUST.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Gregg Williams is just a big name that fans know so he gets the benefit of the doubt. I don’t think he’s actually that good.

*ducks*

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I've been saying that since we hired him.

Big Cat likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wonder how Williams will compensate for the lack of a proven pass rush and below average to mediocre CB play.

16. NYJetsO12

Typical TGG reactions to anything positive

We are loaded on offense and so so defensively

If we win with shootouts "we are not a team designed to do that week in and week out" ???? SMH 8 xs

What teams have the perfect balance of offense and defense??? Not even the Patriots....who just consistently Win it All

Few posters here understand the meaning of the term "they found a way to win">>>OTOH Gase, Douglas and Williams understand the concept completely

17. NYJetsO12

Gut says the man will earn his Salary..maybe not during the first 4 games but I say we get better each month

People bitched and moaned over the OL..next thing we know Douglas lands Khalil

Man I wished Sept 8th got here already:rolleyes:

18. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

So I was about to embark on a mission, to find every DVOA rating his defenses have had since he’s been a DC but fortunately I found this article who already did. I think it’s a pretty good read in case you’re wondering how Williams’ defenses have faired in the past.

http://turnonthejets.com/2019/02/new-york-jets-the-greg-williams-defense-analytics-breakdown/

Here’s the conclusion in case you’re lazy or simply don’t wanna read the whole thing:

“Williams definitely has done some good work in his past, but I am not sure I put him on the level of Wade Phillips who seemingly always makes magic with his defenses. Surprising thing for me was seeing Williams’ reliance on defensive linemen to create sacks since we have heard so much about his blitzing approach. That makes the need for a dominant defensive end or two even more necessary (if this wasn’t apparent from watching the Jets the past few years already).

Also surprising is how well his defenses do against the run. I expected to see top of the line pass defenses and mediocre rushing defenses, and it was quite the opposite. That did change in Cleveland and will need to continue with the Jets considering the newer direction of football, though teams are showing the value of the run especially in the playoffs this year. Here’s to hoping he puts it all together for the next season (or two or three) with the Jets.”

19. WarriorRB28

Lemme guess you were born after the year 2000?

I find it hard to believe any fan that has watched this man's defensive units in action would dare say that.

20. WarriorRB28

It's what the league is now.

There are no more "great" defensive teams like in a past era. What passes for a great defense now is a unit that can string together a few really good games.

The Jets have at long last joined the modern era.

IF and that's the big IF here Sam Darnold and co. can put up 30 ppg the Jets will be a very hard team to beat 'cause I can't imagine a Gregg Williams defense not making those leads hold up most weeks.

They'll be good enough (at 30 ppg) to win with I'll leave it at that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.