Avery Williamson tore his ACL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 16, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No chance. It will be 18 and 2 with 2 bye weeks and super bowl president day weekend.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I also heard they had a plan to limit how much players could play. 18 games but players could only play in 16 regular season games.

I would love for that to happen. It would make the games much more interesting.

3. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

That would make preseason, which no one wants to watch, during the season. It would be terrible. The smart move is to lessen preseason and allow more practices and keep it at 16. Or make it 18 with more practices and no preseason.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Get ready for Brady in fake mustache.

NY Jets68, Jets81 and FJF like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He'd still look feminine.

NY Jets68 and themorey like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

So he may have already strained it or sprained it (slight tear). If so, and he didn't tell the CS/Trainers, he has no one to blame but himself. If he told them and they still had him in the game, then it's all on them and they should get reamed for it.

7. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't. That means that in two games you'd see nothing but scrubs, or mostly scrubs. Without two-a-days and more practice in pads, the game has gotten sloppy enough.

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The idea is terrible, but I don’t think it means what you think it would mean.

Players could only start in 16 games but it doesn’t necessarily mean that ALL the starters would be benched in the same 2 games.

Having said that, I am still with you. I don’t want to see a watered down product.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

QBs and Kickers are exempt under that proposal.

10. TonyFtLaud

I doubt any HC would intentionally tank 2 games. More likely they would try to rotate who sits I. A game based on the opponent.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t know. It would enhance the value of having quality backups. It doesn’t mean every scrub would play in the same 2 games either. There’d be a component of strategy not really found in the game right now. Similar to how baseball managers need to manage there pitching staff. The best team in the league could lose by 30 if they have a bad backup QB.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

I don't see it ever passing the NFLPA.
    The current proposal would mean an expanded roster. An annual increase in revenue, estimated at $2.5 billion.
    Players would still only be paid 16 game checks, so they would have 3 unpaid buy weeks. Do they still have to practice, travel etc. With all the sticking points looming for the new CBA. This is only going to prolong the potential strike in 2021 .

Jets81 likes this.
  13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It’s crazy that you can be an NFL reporter for so long with such a superficial understanding the game.

That’s not how this works. For the most part, a 3-4 defense requires 2 off-ball linebackers and 2 on-ball linebackers. A 4-3 defense requires 3 off-ball linebackers. Why would our response to losing an off-ball linebacker be to employ a defense with more off-ball linebackers?

“The Jets lost a linebacker, they should play 4-3” is such a shallow line of thinking.

themorey likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great input Big Cat. Finally, back to the point of this thread which is the loss of Williamson and the impact thereof. I have also been reading about a different take from the Jets rumor mill, which if true, makes the loss of Williamson just as unfortunate if not more. Apparently, the leadership and coaching staff have been showcasing Williamson a little bit more, such as as the back up captain and play caller of the defensive side, for a potential trade. The Eagles were front runners in this scenario. Seems Greg is high on Hewitt and Cashman for the starting roll to add a bit more pass coverage depth. In either case, IMO the unfortunate injury has impacted us by losing a solid tackler and excellent run stuffer as a starter, weakening our bench, and missing on a potential trade opportunity we so desperately could use.
    What McClellan apparently brings to the table is superior special team skills, and a solid albeit unspectacular role as back up depth.

Big Cat and TonyFtLaud like this.
  15. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Teams would rest first string in games that are probable losses. That means teams like the Patriots would have a cake walk all season. Even if teams don't do this, it would make the quality of games drop. People paying to see teams best players would not want to pay to see scrubs. Think about it, would you pay to see Jets with Bell & Sam sitting out the game

#115 BudJet, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Clearly I’m in the minority but yes, I would. I like the dimension it would add to the game. Seasonal chess match in addition to the individual game chess match. Teams would miss the playoffs because they played a scrub at the wrong time. Teams that signed quality backups might make the playoffs because of it. It looks at an entire team instead of just the starters.

Not that I expect it to happen, of course, but as I understand it the owners floated the idea.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This sucks. Feel bad for him. He was a perfect fit with CJ too

18. NCJetsfan

Perhaps, but I think if I were a HC, I would figure the odds are best that I play all my best starters in the first 16 games and hope to win as many of them as possible. Any strategy of trying to save some of them for the last couple of games could easily backfire if they were injured in practice or they got suspended. If I had two games on my schedule that were almost certain "gimmes" then I might try going with mostly scrubs in those games, but then again probably not.

19. NCJetsfan

No, it doesn't necessarily mean that ALL the starters would be benched in the same 2 games, but I think that's probably how most HCs would play it. Otherwise, it would mean too much practice time would be wasted trying different combinations of players together or trying to build OL chemistry and QB/WR for those other games. I think it's a terrible idea all the way around.

20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I don’t know
    It would be very tempting to just do it in 2 out of conference away games or 2 toughest out of conference and be done trying to manage all season