Sam Darnold or ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're downright evil...

Jets81 likes this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Nobody likes an uppity broad

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Eli Manning was never a game manager QB and while Darnold can execute a game manager role if he needs to, he's more a playmaker/gunslinger

4. Jets777

Jets777 Member

It was wrong for an idea when Darnold should trade?! Wrong answer! We should be patience with Darnold. He will process with the team and take time. We must cheer to him and support him. He will rally for us. Give us patience time with him. Go Jets.

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Nah, we should definitely trade him now while his value is high. People overrate franchise quarterbacks so we could get a ransom in return.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Well, we’ll have to disagree about Manning. I never felt teams said “we’re playing the Giants how do we stop Manning” and the Giants goal was for him to minimize mistakes, which to me is a game manager type. I see Darnold so far in the same mold. To me, the test of the game changing NFL qb is this: down 4, at your own 25, 2:30 to play, can you win the game? Let’s see Sam do that a couple of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Fair. I think we saw a little glimpse of it last season on the road in Buffalo. Meaningless game but he came back from an in game injury. Threw a great bomb to Anderson down the sideline late to set up the winning TD. Earlier had that amazing scrambling effort and found Robby for a 3rd down TD. I don't see Sam getting rattled. Hopefully he can develop into a clutch performer

FJF and Wahoo like this.
  8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Because you are the ultimate arbiter of opinion, apparently. He’s been a game manager thus far: instructed to minimize mistakes, keep throwing short to midrange, and emphasize the run game. That’s a game manager game plan in the modern NFL. Maybe he breaks out of it, but that’s how he’s played SO FAR. Interesting on a discussion board how any diverse opinion is “trolling “, but that’s the internet I guess

9. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Right there with you. Believe me, I’m on my knees praying he is the answer

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He was a rookie QB running Jeremy Bates's offense. Jeremy Bates. You can't draw any conclusions from that.

Jets81, PabloJa and FJF like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I concluded that Bates sucks. Does that count?

NYJFOREVER and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Down a touchdown.
    2:30 on the clock.

Ball's on the 25?

Ty Montgomery...lesson learned.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

He is only going into his second year so way to early to tell if he is just a game manager type. Darnold reminds me of Brees in that he is smart as far as reading defenses and is extremely accurate throwing the ball. He has a long way to go before he can be put into the same category as Brees but I think he can be just as good one day and hopefully better.

Wahoo, Jets81 and stinkyB like this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The team around him will determine when the comparisons to Brees can be made. If we can build it right, Sam can become a star VERY quickly. Regarding the talk of being a game manager, that's a great thing to say about a QB except when it's the ONLY thing. It's like a nice thing to say about a QB you like who is not particularly outstanding in other areas. Or "but she has a great personality". Sam will be doing several things we like very soon. Maybe not week 3, but the wait will not be long. These are exciting times.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

“I just think he’s got that thing the great ones have,” and added: “The ability to process information very quickly, and his spatial awareness. Some call it ‘the it’ factor, feel, whatever you want to see. He sees angles quicker than other people. His brain allows him to do certain things because of that. I told you guys last year, he’s going to be a good one.”

-Tony Romo
    6/14/19

FJF likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Brees's category is first ballot Hall of Famer and all time great, so that's a really high bar.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If Darnold turns out to be as good as we (Jets fans) think/hope then he will be right up there with Brees. Obviously he has a ways to go before he is on that level but he does remind me of Brees with how accurate he is and how he reads the play. JMHO.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Personally, I’m hoping Darnold becomes one of the all time greats. Barring injury and a poor supporting cast, this kid could be the answer we’ve been looking for. The jets haven’t had a franchise QB since I’ve been a fan, which is about 25+ years. I’m hoping Darnold plays incredible ball for us for the next 20.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Manning has 4 postseason comebacks and 5 postseason game winning drives. In their two SB runs Manning outplayed Favre, Rodgers, Tony Romeo and Tom Brady twice. Manning hasn't been a consistently great QB but he has serious tools and has had some amazing runs in big spots. Manning is the classic gunslinger. Low completion percentage, lots of INT's and can make every big throw on the NFL tree under pressure. The Giants don't sniff a SB without Manning in the zone under pressure against the absolute best competition in the league.

Don't mistake his personality for his ability to let it fly under pressure. Manning went 1 for a reason. Serious passing skills.

Darnold in college was a big time playmaker. He's also very smart and under control.

As far as the Brees comparison. Brees is amazingly accurate. He also plays more games in domes and good weather than almost anyone else I can think of in the history of the NFL. He also has had one system to play under for years. Brees could never put up numbers like he has in the Meadowlands with the Jets rosters and revolving door of coaches.

I love what Darnold might be able to bring to the Jets.

Wahoo and Acad23 like this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Good post. Among the many, two instances I think about (where Manning showed his mettle):

1. playoff game in Dallas: Cowboys just scored towards the end of the 1st half and looked like they were about to take control of the game. Manning responded and calmly returned the favor by quickly taking the Giants back down the field for a TD just before halftime and stopping Big D's momentum cold in the process.
    2. playoff game in SF vs. a brutal 49ers defense that beat the daylights out of Manning but through it all he hung tough, took the pounding without turning the ball over allowing the Jints to capitalize on the one solitary field position-changing turnover (a muffed punt) that gifted them a game-winning FG.