Jalen ramsey

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets21027, Aug 12, 2019.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

No. We need a cb but to trade a haul for Ramsey then pay him makes absolutely no sense for the jets.

A guy like rasul Douglas is a better target.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Not sure the Eagles are looking to move any of their CB’s at the moment..

TonyFtLaud and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

LMAO i mean all joking aside i do think the 480k minimum isn't enough if the player is contributing like robby anderson for example was very underpaid those first couple of seasons as an UDFA who was a starter. but that is rare and the NFL actually does bonus out the really underpaid players if they actually play and perform. I'm just syaing it's insane to be pushing for more 30+ million dollar contracts because you feel the owners are greedy. Like don't you think the players are being greedy too? Dak is a mediocre QB and just turned down 30 mil a year and wants 40 mil a year. That's just insane

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea I kinda wonder about the whole Dak thing. I could see the 40 million rumor being started by the Cowboys to make Dak look like an ass.

The $480,000 is league minimum for a rookie. The minimum goes up for each year played in the league, so even at the minimum, they’re getting very nice raises year over year.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

They’re overloaded w depth. They very well may be and joe d has the connection

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Not sure if that’s the case at CB, but we can always hope..

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

This debate is probably all for naught. I read an article somewhere that Ramsey -if dealt- prefers to go to a state with no income tax, preferably Tennessee where he is from originally. Also mentioned Las Vegas with the Raiders. All about the $$$ LOL.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

yeah veteran minimums are higher. 480 is just the dead flat minimum for any player on an NFL roster but even for a rookie it's higher if you were drafted. not to mention rookie contracts are fully guaranteed. 480k is like what you pay an UDFA or roster bubble player. but even then with a player like robby due to his performance in the rookie year he got a bonus of 242k from the NFL

10. FJF

Why? I feel like there’s this mentality of waiting to strike at a time that is never going to come. This is the ideal time to do it, have a need, have a qb, have a weapon. The window is opening now.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

we will be looking at the bottom of that depth chart, Rasul should be starting for the Eagles

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

How can any CB be a shutdown corner anymore with how the zebras call the game nowadays. Add in reviews for PI penalties.

CB is quickly becoming a very overrated position imo.

The best way to cover downfield is to get pressure in the backfield. Which is why I'd prefer we hold that number 1 and spend it on LT or edge rusher

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want Ramsey if the Jaguars were willing to trade him to us for a 3rd round pick. The Jets need a new LT, a C, and another WR. For one thing, it won't matter how good Ramsey is or how good our D is with him, if Sam winds up getting hurt because we tried to go cheap on the OL. For another, we've spent more than enough #1 picks on D to last for a while. For still another, LT and C are both more important positions than CB. What did we win with Revis? With Ramsey making a huge salary, and Sam getting paid in a few years, we wouldn't have money for a top edge rusher or LT. For still another, the Jets are trying to change the culture to a team-first, focused, unified group of players. The last thing we would need would be bringing in a me-first, greedy, selfish asshat like Ramey that's gonna be a distraction, probably hold out, be a constant disruption, and a negative influence on younger players.

In rounds 2-5 you aren't getting an elite LT unless you get really lucky. IMO it's much more important to have an elite LT than it is to have an elite CB. Even the best CBs in the NFL can only cover their man for 3-4 seconds. Therefore, an elite pass rusher is more important than an elite CB.

#133 NCJetsfan, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  14. NCJetsfan

We're not relegating another season to losing. That's totally your projection.

I haven't bought in on any of our draft picks. I just pointed out those who have potential and have been showing flashes. They still have to get it done on the field during real games. This draft could definitely turn out like all of Mac's other drafts. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did, but that doesn't mean that Douglas should then panic and go all in on this season. In fact, it's even more reason why he shouldn't. It would just show how many more players we still need to be ready to be serious contenders.

We'll never agree on this, so it's probably best if we just drop it for now.

15. NCJetsfan

This is spot on accurate! The best way to thwart another team's passing attack is with a strong pass rush, not a great CB. I'd rather the money that we could use on Ramsey go to a stud pass rusher or a couple of good pass rushers, or a FA CB, OG and WR next season.

16. NCJetsfan

I respectfully, but totally disagree. "Thinking" you have a QB isn't good enough reason, especially when you have little depth and other holes. We had a lot more talent in 2009 and 2010 than now, and Tanny overestimated our talent and thought it was time to go all in, and we see where it got us. It would be even more disastrous now, even though we have a better QB than Sanchez.

You not only can wait for the next draft, but should. The very idea of going all in this season, burning our draft picks trading for 2nd and 3rd tier players, or really burning our draft picks for someone like Ramsey is ludicrous. The whole reason we hired Douglas was so he could draft better to build our team, and you want to take the draft out of his hands? Sorry, but that's counterproductive. We didn't win anything with a selfish, greedy jerk in Revis and we won't with Ramsey, either. Putting a ton of money in a CB isn't wise, and it isn't the way to win a SB.

17. FJF

One, and this would really be an interesting thread, the 2010 team is not that much more talented than what we have now. If you go by position group it’s really close .
    Two, Tanny didn’t fail because he paid revis, he failed by drafting Stephen hill, vlad ducassr, Kyle Wilson et al.
    And I’m not saying burn picks for 2nd 3rd tier players, I’m saying when you can get a top player at a position of need with the window opening you do it. There’s more than 1 round of the draft, if JD is going to be the one to build a winner he will have to hit on more than the first round . A 1 for Ramsey doesn’t cripple us. It strengthens the team and opens the window wider.....now and the next 3 years.
    Building slowly and propping up a qb will put you in purgatory if your wrong. Better to gamble and suck if you lose and restart the process.

18. GasedAndConfused

The one thing in this discussion (which i am enjoying btw) that isn't getting addressed is the cap though. The jets don't really have any cap room for next year or even this year. right now we are sitting at around 10 mil in cap room to start the year. ramsey would eat up a little over 7 mil leaving us 3 in case we need to sign anyone which i mean is fine but basically 0 carry over to 2020. then in 2020 we are sitting at about 27 mil so say we can carry over 3 that gives us 30 mil. ramsey would eat up 13 mil of it leaving us 17. rookies will cost around 9 of that leaving us 8 million in room for free agents and to sign our free agents which includes names like beachum, shell, kalil (if he doesn't retire), leo, robby, poole, mclendon, siemian, miles, jenkins, copeland, montgomery and more. that right there is 3/5ths of our starting o-line our starting DE, WR1, both starting OLBs, CB3, and good back backup RB and QB. there isn't enough money to go around. also not much "dead weight" to cut and not enough depth for a "next man up" at all these positions.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Great post. I didn't understand his whole "we didn't win a SB with Revis" remark myself lol we would have never SNIFFED back to back AFC Championship games without Darrelle Revis going down as an All-Time great coverage CB during an era of dominant offenses.

Revis never had a game changing Safety such as Jamal Adams either. I'd so love to see Jalen Ramsey playing with our Jamal Adams. It'll be sick. I wish Revis had a J. Adams back then. I wish he also had Darnold as FQB and prime Le'Veon Bell too.

Different team. Different year. Jalen Ramsey would be awesome here just as he was awesome for my FSU and just as he's been awesome for Jax on an NFL level proud of my alumni who become elite NFL status. Ramsey is without question one of them. Ramsey/Adams is an FSU/LSU duo who a defensive minded football fan can not say no to.

Ramsey would be insane to line up alongside of Leonard, Quinnen, C.J Mosley, Maye and Adams. He would elevate the game of all 5 as a shutdown superstar CB. Trumaine Johnson is another player who would benefit off or Ramsey because as did Cromartie he would only be asked to cover opposing #2 WR's.

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

can someone tell me if NC really said he wouldnt take Ramsey for a 3rd? I thought I read that

Biggs, All Gas No Shake, joe and 2 others like this.