Jalen ramsey

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets21027, Aug 12, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you trade down and stock low price picks and can develop them you can also sign FA's and cut them. Right now it's 2019. Our 2019 draft class is likely to produce 1 starting caliber player. Seems like you have to draft a lot of guys between now and 2022 who are actually capable of being starting caliber players if you want to build around Sam's next contract.

Sam may well be as good this year and next as he will be in 5 to 10 years? Hard to know. We can wait for the next CBA and see what happens or play by today's rules. If Sam is an elite QB this year we should not squander this year for the future. A good front office has to manage its cap today and in the future.

3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

He is the sort who will want to renegotiate his contact every other year and will hold the Jets to ransom

K'OB likes this.
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That's only part of the story with the Pats. They have done a great job of dumping draft picks before their contract years and getting picks. They have traded down and stockpiled picks. They also have done a better job identifying and coaching up players to fill a key role than every other team in football.

They unloaded Chandler Jones, traded down the 2 they got and turned it into a starting OL man and a role player who made 6 catches in a SB run. They unloaded Richard Seymour before his contract year. Vince Wolfork, etc., etc., etc. We have 2 really good young players who play inside on the D line. We have an asset we can part with for draft picks. We have other gapping holes. A good GM can do things to reduce gapping holes. We have to hope our new GM after really understanding our roster can make roster changing moves.

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think the bolded is Douglas's true off the radar plan hence the six year contract. And I don't believe in squandering any years. With a Ramsey deal I'd be more concerned with the draft capital traded. The Jets can't afford to trade too many picks away - the OL has been disregarded for too long and needs almost a complete overhaul.

But the positive side to a Ramsey trade would be a young #1 CB and a team vying for a championship won't go far without one of those either.

So it comes down to Douglas's ingenuity in regards to cap management and drafting prowess.

6. mrjet80

7. mrjet80

In reply to Biggs:

Which is why I think Leo gets traded at some point......

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Again, I disagree. IMO any GM worth a damn would not go all in this season with a sophomore QB, regardless of how talented, with a shaky OL at best and razor thin depth behind it, with the crap CB corps we have, with a starting RB who didn't play last year, another RB who is coming off almost a career-ending injury, and thin WR corps and an even thinner TE corps, and no elite edge rusher. There's no way he could adequately address all of even most of those needs even if he traded every single one of next year's draft picks, and doing so would be insane.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah.

That's #1 on their agenda.................. :confused:

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You have to stop thinking that Mac is our GM. You can trade a pick for a player and pick up a later pick, you can even trade down. We don't have to depend on a top 5 pick every year.

themorey likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It kind of already has trended that way

that wouldn't work well though. like we seen in the uncapped year. it's the same as saying the economy is in debt so just print more money. if the cap raises suddenly by a large amount it creates inflation and players simply get paid more. if the cap was 300 million, you'd see QBs getting 60 mil a year and nothing will change. Not to mention the actual cash flow needed will create an imbalance like we see in baseball where the big market teams can stack rosters in a way that small market teams can't really compete.

Yes that is my opinion. alot hinges on this year though. I Think we can all agree that robby as an UDFA has exceeded anything we could have expected from a WR. The rest though is whether people feel he is a WR1 or WR2 or WR3 and what their definitions are. The way I see it is none of that matters. as long as they can produce as a group and all bring something different to the table and work well with darnold, it doesn't make sense to let him walk unless you can find someone way better at the same price or find someone just as good much cheaper. I wouldn't want to break up any chemistry between him and darnold over a few million dollars. Realistically for the next 4 years while darnold is making reasonable money on his rookie deal, everything the jets should do going forward is to support him and put players around him that can produce and have chemistry. we already know for the next 3 years Q and crowder will be here.

and for OL it's going to be interesting. we will have to build from the ground up. I'd expect the next couple of drafts to not have the "sexy flashy" picks but instead be focused heavy on the o-line. Next years draft is a really good one for OT. our guards we won't have to worry about until 2020. next year we need to focus on C and OT. hopefully edoga can earn one of the spots but realistically the chances are the 2020 jets will have starters at LT, RT, and C that are not on the roster in 2019.

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

NFL revenue is going up every year and 32 owners are getting more revenue than roughly 1700 players every year without taking into consideration cap gains. You need a reset and yes top salaries will go up but so will everyone else which is a good thing for a majority of NFL players. Right now the majority of the inflation is going to 32 owners and a handful of star players. A rebalance will bring NFL player salaries more in line with other major US sports. It will make the game more attractive for top athletes to pick football and improve the overall game.

Teams can choose how to manage their caps in any case by either concentrating it in a few players or spreading it out. A larger base will allow a little of both.

Unlike the economy printing money because it can, NFL owners don't have to pay anyone they don't want to.

13. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

As much as I respect the talent Ramsey has, there isn't an ounce of me that wants the Jets to go get him. Not only will it cost us way too much considering we're still rebuilding, but it will also just cause a hell of a lot of headaches.

I think back to having Revis on the team, and him holding out until he got paid. With the upward trend of mega deals in the league, and sports in general, I think a Ramsey situation would be twice as worse as that of Revis. First, Ramsey would get a mega deal, and then he would hold out until he got paid more, on top of publicly complaining about it to make the Jets look bad. I think that would have an ugly effect on the locker room, especially since there are other players on the team that are going to have to get mega deals too.

Leicester Jet, themorey and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If Sam Darnold was our QB instead of Mark Sanchez we probably win a SB in one of the two years we had the best D in the NFL, largely because Revis was able to take away the best weapon of every team we played.

15. GasedAndConfused

The NFL is a free market and players are independent contractors and not employees. in that type of market there will always be imbalance. and owners will always in any company have a majority of the revenue. One of the perks of being an owner and paying over 1 billion dollars to buy a team lol. Balance would be nice for the lower tier players but low tier players don't put butts into seats. and all the main USA based sports like MLB and NBA have the same imbalance. hell baseball players are signing 12 year 426.5 million dollar contracts fully guaranteed.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Every other major sport the players make more money on average and at the median then NFL players. NFL owners make way more money and a larger percentage of a bigger revenue stream then owners of other major US sports.

17. GasedAndConfused

every other sports plays a lot more games as well and has a much smaller roster.

NFL 16 games 53 man roster
    NBA 82 games 12-15 man roster
    MLB 162 games 25 man roster (note currently 40 expanded roster which will be elminated down to 25 next year)

So the other 3 major sports play 5-10 times more games but have rosters that are 2-4 times smaller

the NBA is the median but again only has 12-15 people on roster (about 1/4th the size) but plays 5 times as many games so it's easier to pay the lower end and median players. There is simply less of them to pay and more games to generate revenue. it's easy to pay good money to the 10 non superstars on your team then it is to pay to the 45-50 non superstars on your team. This is also part of the reason the owners want an 18 game season. more revenue for them, higher cap etc. but the players don't because of more damage on their bodies which are already taxed. the NFL puts much more wear and tear and damage on players then any other sport.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Yet in 16 games nfl owners make way more then nba, hockey or baseball owners and the players get a smaller cut of the overall revenue. In other words nfl owners are kicking ass while nfl players get their ass kicked.

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I agree both Mac and Douglas slept on the Cornerback position, also not a big fan of Poole. Most of his production cane at safety and his coverage skills are iffy at best.
    So your thought process is let's sacrifice one of the 2 cheap years of our young QBs first contract for draft position? And even if they get a WR and a LT next season. Were still missing a CB or two. For what? To fill a position that's not an immediate need? Beachum has been fine, the problem we had was the interior, carpenter and long, bit upgraded with all pros. Passing up a top 5 player for a complete unknown with at best a 50℅ chance of success is how you get to hoping for 8-8.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This post looks like it belongs in general NFL.