Jalen ramsey

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets21027, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

So, resigning Darnold ruins our chances of winning a Super Bowl that much? Guess we don’t have much to look forward to over the next 15 years of Darnolds career then.

dmw and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

No. This season is to see marked improvement and to build towards next season. I admit, CB IS a need position going forward, but can be addressed in the draft for a lot less money than what it will cost to pay Ramsey. And he's an idiot...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Ramsey turns a big weakness into a strength. But, a one where you have to dole out a huge contract is too steep. We need to think long term and use that number one pick a OL, WR, CB or edge rusher with a cheap rookie contract. But, for a 2nd it is a lot more interesting.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You have it ass backwards. Darnold gives us a great chance to win a SB.

You only have an elite QB on a rookie contract once. That doesn't mean we can't win with him later. It means you don't squander it for the future. I'm sure Seattle and Green bay enjoy watching perineal playoff teams with elite QB talent that aren't going to win a SB for a very long time.

TonyFtLaud and blackssmagic like this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We squandered an elite CB on a rookie contract for a crappy QB. We shouldn't do it again backwards and expect different results.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No. To begin with, he's a selfish, me-first disgruntled player, that I believe wants to be the highest-paid CB in the NFL. Been there done that. Secondly, and more importantly, with the Jets needing a new starting LT, C, probably RG and maybe RT next season as well as a WR and maybe another edge rusher, there's no way I'd trade our #1 for Ramsey or any CB.

It's not likely, but Douglas may even be able to trade down next year and parlay our #1 pick into an LT, and an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick.

dmw likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

No, just no. To go all in this year would be beyond dumb. We have 4 years before we have to pay Sam. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Leicester Jet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

And what do you think will happen in a couple of years ? If Sam is who we think he is there is no chance in hell the Jets do not resign him no matter what the cost. They will just have to build around him realizing they can only have 2 or 3 mega deals ( aka superstars ) aside from Sam. I imagine in 2022 or whenever there may be a slight re-tooling in accords with whatever the cap is.

This is why drafting is so important....FA and trades can only get a team so far nowadays. Douglas needs to be the anti-Mac over these next three off seasons ( drafts )….

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Nah. Our offensive line still needs to be reworked down the road (I think it will be about average this year but we need some long term building blocks there to protect Sam) plus we need to nab that legitimate #1 receiver. Just can't be giving up prime draft capital for Ramsey.

Plus Trumaine Johnson did not break his leg in 3 spots. It's a week to week injury before the 2nd preseason game.

MoWilkBeast, NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Right, the rookie contract makes all the difference. Because 9 of the last what, 12 Super Bowls have been won by guys on their rookie contract right? Oh, no, that’s not actually right. It’s almost like the rookie contract doesn’t really mean anything at all when it comes to winning Super Bowls.

11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

looks like he's in the micky mouse club with that hair

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sam will never get to his option season. Ramsey isn't just for this year. He's for every year we don't have Sam on his rookie contract. You aren't getting a LT
    4 of the last 6 SB had their starting QB's on their rookie contract. 2 of the last 6 were won by a team with a rookie QB contract. Aaron Rodgers won his only SB when he was being paid 6.5 million per. Joe Flacco 6.76 million per.

If you want to bet your stats on Sam playing for a HOF coach at less than market price have at it.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly in 2 or 3 years we will replace high priced FA's with rookies. Now we have an elite QB on a rookie deal and our drafts have been so thin we need to fill in to have a shot at doing some real damage. You can't throw out an NFL season. We have some great pieces, that's not a reason to leave gapping holes. KC put an atrocious D on the field last year and it killed them from fulfilling their SB run. The Rams brought in a ton of FA's and went to the SB.

Mr mittens, blackssmagic and FJF like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Rodgers signed a contract extension in 2008. Flacco is trash. Big Ben would have been a better comparison, but like Rodgers you’d have to go back a ways to make it relevant. Short of it is that while you may be willing to go all Tannenbaum for the next couple of seasons, some of us see a very young QB who could have plenty of good years ahead of him and we’d rather build for year 3 or 4 with our own draft picks.

Too each their own I guess.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Oh I'm not saying throw the season away at all. I think the Jets with a few breaks can get into the playoffs. I may have misunderstood your point.

Basically the Jets are kind of between a rock and a hard place. They can trade for and sign Ramsey and go for it all now so to speak BUT it may prevent them from say resigning a guy like Jamal Adams knowing that Darnold's new contract will be around the corner too. And that may make it a little harder to " remodel " the team when Darnold does sign his next contract.

It really will be interesting to see what Douglas does in regards to CB this year.....

CotcheryFan likes this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Rodgers was extended after being a starter for 7 games. Rodgers was a backup QB. Green Bay was able to win their SB because he was an outright bargain. They haven't sniffed one since his last contract when he was paid at the market. The Eagles and the Seahawks both built SB teams on elite rookie QB's on rookie contracts. Brady has always been a below market paid QB and that's one of the reasons NE has been able to dominate. They fill their roster out. I'm all for dumping high priced players a year too early than a year too late.

As the team gets better QB play we will be drafting further down. We dumped several draft picks to get Sam. We need to use the cash to fill the roster with some quality.

Mr mittens and FJF like this.
  17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Wentz is paid and the Eagles are still stacked. Rodgers was making a paltry 10 million a season when he won the Super Bowl.

You want to load up next offseason using the cap, great, but the only currency left for this season is players and picks, and we should be trying to hold on to our picks.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can we get Buster Skrine back?

19. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

The issue is more so what Brady makes annually in comparison to every other QB. When you have a player in the caliber of Brady playing on deals that are considered mid-pack you can build the remaining team. Not many players do that these days

20. NCJetsfan

What do you mean we aren't getting a LT? I'll bet that we are getting one in the draft next year. Beacham will be a FA and we need an upgrade. It's a great year to get an LT. If Douglas doesn't take one, it had better be because Edoga has proven to be a great LT; otherwise, I will want Douglas' ass in a sling.