Reality Check

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by xjets2002x, Dec 12, 2006.

1. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

1.It's week 14 and we have a winning record. We still have the easiest remaining schedule and we are not out of the playoffs yet. Admit it, most of you were expecting 7-9 at best.

2.Pennington has been mediocre, but he's coming off two shoulder surgeries. Clemens is the future. No arm strength issues there.

3.Mangold and Ferguson look excellent. No first round busts this year. Drew Coleman has started, out of the seventh round. While his performance hasn't been anything amazing, it shows that work ethic is rewarded around here. If the running game doesn't pick up, we will draft to address the issue and if anything, we'll have great depth with starting experience. Leon Washington is electric.

4.Improvement- Brandon Moore was an albatross in the beginning of the season. Of late, he has gotten his act together and gone back to being a reliable starter. Dewayne Robertson has been much better.

5.Breakout- Rhodes, Cotchery, and Bryan Thomas are all having breakout years. Thomas might get 10 sacks, he might not, but he has been a beast over the last few weeks. Nugent has stopped looking like shit.

6.The Redskins suck. If the draft were held today, they would be drafting six. We're in possession of their second round pick, which gives us some exciting options on draft day.

7.Good decisions- In the last two years the Jets have let Herm, Santana Moss, and John Abraham skip town. Mangini, Cotchery, and Thomas have outperformed all of them, respectively, this season. Combined, the two have missed 10 games this season, and, in the process, grossly underperformed their contract.

8.When have we not had a hard time with Buffalo? Any season, no matter the talent of either team, the Jets always play a heartbreaker against Buffalo. If you haven't been watching very long, get used to it.

I simply couldn't take any more of the wailing and nashing of teeth around here. I don't enjoy coming on here after a game and all the irrationality that goes on anymore. I think the dark days are over. Just Enjoy The Season.

-X-

2. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Nice post X. I can't disagree with anything you posted above. :up:

3. rillo

rillo New Member

I agree with your post.....some people are just negative around here :finssuck:

4. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I agree with everything you said. I would just add it is time to start Clemens and build for the Future.

5. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Careful what you say around here. Everyone here has a man crush for Chad.

6. rillo

rillo New Member

I'm sorry.....no way!! we are still in a "playoff hunt".....granted we might not get it if we play like we did this past sunday....but u dont pull chad out now.....thats just crazy. I'm curious 2 see kellen play 2....but not now.....

7. FOURTHANDLONG

Well It's time to get a crush on Clemens! Lol...

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

well when then? if we lose this week im fully ready to see him play. i understand your point but this is his future as a starter as far as I'm concerned.

9. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

That's not even the point. Chad could have an amazing 3 games. Jacksonville only has to win 2 games and they already beat us.

You people are so blind.

We are 7-6 with the softest schedule in the league. How far do you really expect us to get in the playoffs.

10. rillo

rillo New Member

Yea if we lose then yea....i wouldnt mind, i would also agree that this offense really needs a stronger arm.....but chad gives us the best chance to win right now.....even though it didnt look like that this past sunday.....

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree with your post with the attitude aspect around here. The negativity is ridiculous around here, and I promise you it is OK to tough it out for your team. Stay calm, and just have faith we will get it turned around.

As far as Clemens goes.. I think/hope he is going to be a very good QB in this league, but the reality with this is that he is unproven. We dont know what to expect from him, and I would rather have a Penny type, than a Grossman type. Grossman=Strong arm/No Brain, Penny=No arm/Brains. So if Clemens can bring us both, than I am all for it.

Although I have no idea why anyone would want CP to be replaced at this point of the season? Why would you? We are 7-6, and legitimate WC contenders, but you would be willing to pull a Broncos move and just forfeit the playoffs. I dont get that, and if we need to make a change it should be after this season. During the offseason/training camp. If the change needs to be made, then I am all for it then... Not now...

12. rillo

rillo New Member

Thank You :finssuck:

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Aren't there enough threads burning Chad in effigy that you guys could come into this one and not make him the pivotal issue?

14. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

Very nice and concise post. I personally think that Chad should finish the season regardless of our playoff hopes, but I can certainly see the argument to begin working Kellen in. Would having Kellen as our starter change our approach to the "no huddle?" Does he have the leadership that Chad shows (on good days) to change plays at the line or work the snap count to put D lines on their heels?

15. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

:rofl: Too funny

16. WestKyJetsFan

WestKyJetsFan New Member

preach on

I signed on this week expecting to see all kinds of "the sky is falling" posts, but it's been relatively calm considering we're Jet's fans!

To all the darksiders that said we'd have a 3 win season, they can just crawl into a hole or something and bunker down the rest of the season. 7 wins already so I don't put any stock into any sick bragging they may have on here because we lost a game they knew we would.

I personally want Pennington to stay the starter. Let Clemens sit the bench and learn from CP. I don't want a rookie running this offense.

17. joejets1

joejets1 Member

probably the wrong thread but was thinking about the current situation last time this happened was in 02, adn they won out and made the playoffs.

In other years such as 04, 97, 00 where they had control they blew it or had the ultimate back in.

So maybe the opposite of what usually happens will happen this year.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I bet you said the same thing before we went to SD, and Beat Them, then
    went to Pitt, and had Herm and Doug Brien snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Once you are IN...It's Any Given Sunday.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

The talent level on the team that beat SD was better than this one. This is a different team.

20. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

You can't sit Pennington with the contract he has. No matter what we think, football, any sport, is a business to owners. With that kind of money going to Chad, he's gonna start. It's gonna take a hell of a lot worse of a season than this for us to see Clemens. And, I'm not completely sure he'd do so much of a better job. Pennington was completely out of sinc on Sunday, which hurt the most, but there were a lot of other guys that weren't playing their best games either. Ferguson got absolutely exposed as a rookie tackle, and David Barrett came to play the way he usually does giving up the TD pass that he wasn't more than 20 yards near.
    And it's not about we shouldn't have expected this season to turn out this well anymore. Once a team competes you get attached and you want to see them do as well as possible, even if they shouldn't or weren't supposed to be as good as they are.