Catanzaro Retired - We have a Kicker Crisis!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Truth. If there are so many good kickers out there then why don’t we have one? I have to imagine Douglas has a short list..

egelband likes this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Kickers IMO are NOT a dime a dozen as there is nothing like trotting a guy out there from over 40yards and having the confidence that he will hit it never mind when these other clowns miss from 30 yards out. Add to it how a kicker with a GOOD LEG can aid with field position with deep kickoffs that are not returnable and IMO the kicking game including the punter are HUGE parts of every game ! Cut this guy now and bring in some serious comp it won't be hard as I don't think he is much good. I hate the idea of Janikowski as he IMO is done and Bryant would be lite years better but his injury history scares me

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Maybe this new regime will change this philosophy . If Catanzaro costs the Jets an early season game - say opening day - this boards gonna explode ....

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I don't know guys, I'd have to say the Jets have handled their place-kickers very well over the years going back to Jay Feely. We get them cheap, and they perform as good as they ever had. We let other teams pay them for the success they have here and turn to the next guy. I've been amazed how poorly Nick Folk has been everywhere else BUT here. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? We old-timers remember the days of Rich Szabo, Toni Linhart, Dave Jacobs.... and I think that was all in the same season ; ) (Look up a 14-12 loss to the Bills at Shea UGH)

Matt Bryant is intriguing - Once Canatazaro ACTUALLY falters. To ditch him based on missed practice kicks in Florham Park is absolutely ridiculous. Insane, really. Even if he's so-so in the preseason, I trust our coaches to decide if there truly is a problem with his kicking. Maybe he's practicing wind compensation, holders, hooks, etc

LF911SC likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Guys get cut based on how they perform in training camp all throughout the preseason. Why should kickers be an exception?

6. LogeSection2RowJ

Not saying he shouldn't be - if he deserves to go. The fact that we're calling for his head based on practice kicks prior to any preseason games is nuts. That's not a valid reason for me. If Jets coaches think it's a big issue, fine. Good bye. I'm saying I fully trust the coaches decisions where K's are concerned.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I trust the coaches as well.

If Edoga is getting reps with the first team and he’s getting beaten like a drum, I don’t expect him to occupy that position for long. I feel the same way about the kicker. I think they’re waiting to see how he performs in preseason games but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see some competition within the next week or 2.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I remember Jacobs .....( Leahy didn’t exactly inspire confidence either ).

I’m not saying cut Canatazaro now either. Let training camp play out. Maybe he straightens out and has a good year .

On paper the Jets look really good in regards to their kickers the last few years so you’re right. However this philosophy is gonna backfire one of these years and I hope it doesn’t wreck a season.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Jack Dempsy 63 yard FG barefoot!

10. LogeSection2RowJ

Never knew Jack Dempsey boxed barefoot o_O

11. Footballgod214

LOL ur right! my bad!

12. LogeSection2RowJ

Dempey was unusual in that he didn't have toes on his kicking foot. I don't remember if it was a birth defect or an accident that caused him to have a squared off foot, which required a special shoe. In the old days of straight-on kickers, that proved to be an advantage for him. He also had a strong leg apparently. You youngsters should look him up ; ) he was one of those "gems" of the old days.

LF911SC likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cat Man is clearly saving all of his made FG's for the regular season. Smart guy!

14. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

That's well and good if true but a low round pick on a K of all positions isn't replacement for a SB, playoff winning K who was money for them when it counted.

Never mind there are no guarantees that the player will be available for you to draft, someone else could grab him.

It just worked out extremely well for the Pats. Bastards

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You're right about Janikowski, he's shot. Bears have two SEC kickers in camp, Eddy Pinero (stronger leg), Elliot Fry (more accurate) to see who replaces Cody Parkey. Douglas is probably keeping an eye on that battle along with other available training camp casualties should Catanazaro continue to stink up the joint.

CBG likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Over time, kickers can be the leading scorer on a team. And we've all held our breath during a game winning/losing kick.

I always wondered why kickers get so little love.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In the draft, I get it because it's almost impossible to predict which kicking prospects will be good in the NFL. But I have no idea why proven kickers don't demand more money.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Everyone forgets myers was a nobody before last season. Not like he's gostkowski or viniteri who made the probowl every year. He had 1 albeit amazing season as a kicker and wasn't worth the investment

2014 played in the AFL, for 2 teams. 1 cut him midseason and another picked him up
    2015 signed by jax. 2015 was 86.7% then 2016 dropped to 79.4. in 2017 he played 6 games for jax 73.3% and was cut after 6 games due to poor performance and sat out the rest of the season unsigned
    2018 Jan he signed with seattle as a FA. They released him in august after he lost the job to janikowski
    2018 Aug, jets claimed him off waivers, he goes onto have a probowl fluke season of 92% Fgs made and breaks the record for most 50+ yard Fgs made in a season.
    2019 Seatlle, the team who released him a year earlier, gives him a 4 year 16 mil contract

So prior to last year where he had an amazing season. in the 5 years before that, he was cut by 3 teams (one of them an AFL team, one mid season, and one in training camp after losing the job to a 40 year old kicker playing his final season) the 2 years prior to the jets season he was under 80% FGs made both years. Nothing work paying premium money to a kicker who has had 1 good season in 5 years

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

kickers like myers are a dime a dozen. kickers like gostowski and vinitenri aren't

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

vi...ni...ten...ri

Almost like you sounded out a name and didn't know what it sounded like.