Catanzaro Retired - We have a Kicker Crisis!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Aug 7, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

After being an average kicker with the Jacksonville Jaguars for three years he was claimed off of waivers by the Jets in late August.

In 2018 Meyers went 33-of-36 for a 91.7 conversion rate.

That Pro Bowl season was amazing for the Jets but ultimately proved too costly for the team. During the offseason, Jason signed a four-year $16 million contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

So the green and white decided to go bargain shopping and went back to an old castoff in Chandler Catanzaro.

They should’ve left him where they found him.
    There’s no other way to slice this, Chandler has been awful during training camp. The only consistent thing Catanzaro has done is consistently miss field goals. There’s a reason Chandler has been on four different teams over the last four years.

The Jets can’t mess around, a good kicker can separate the so-so teams from the great teams.

So who should the Jets call? Former Atlanta Falcons kicker Matt Bryant.

When the Falcons declined his team option back in February he announced on social media that he wouldn’t be retiring:

“Over this past year, I’ve been asked numerous times about retirement and how I feel. Well, I’m not retiring and I feel fine and plan on feeling even better with some changes to my offseason program!”

Bryant has been in the league since 2002 and has played for five different NFL franchises over the last 18 years.

Despite his age (44), he is still playing at an insane level:
    • 2018: 20 of 21 (95.2 conversion rate)
    • 2017: 34 of 39 (87.2 conversion rate)
    • 2016: 34 of 37 (91.9 conversion rate)
    A typical issue with kickers as they get older is they lose their power, that’s not an issue with Matt Bryant either.

Over the last two years, Bryant has hit 12-of-14 field goals from 50 yards or more.

He earned the nickname ‘Money Matt’ and the Jets could desperately use that level of consistency on special teams.

We reached out to Matt Bryant on social media to see if he’d be interested in signing with the green and white and he replied via private message:

“J-E-T-S… JETS, JETS, JETS!”

The only thing left to do is for Bryant to sign on the dotted line and join the squad officially. This is a match made in football heaven.

Jets81, HomeoftheJets and themorey like this.
  2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Bryant's issue recently had been staying healthy, otherwise he's a huge improvement over Cannelloni.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Mac should have re-signed Meyers. It's not like the Jets were short of cash. These kickers can be the difference between the playoffs and staying home.

rickjet, boozer32 and CBG like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe Douglas and Co can lure Janikowski out of retirement.

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Matt Bryant for sure

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Inb4 somebody blames the holder.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Kickers are a dime a dozen..

GasedAndConfused and LF911SC like this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'll take 12.

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I remember when we were talking about how stupid it was that Macc let Can go and signed that half assed K, Meyers

Funny how that works.

Patience, someone will shake free if he sucks

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. mrjet80

Tell that to hoody. How many playoff games and SBs did he win thanks to Vinatieri.

Not saying that Meyers is Vinatieri but how many kickers has he had in NE ? Two by my count.

CBG and BacktoQueens like this.
  11. LF911SC

And this changes the idea that they're a dime a dozen how? Theyve had two really good K's. OK, doesnt change that we can find another one

12. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Should have re signed the Hebrew Hammer.

13. mrjet80

33/36 on FGs does not reflect a ‘ dime a dozen ‘ kicker. I can’t understand a GM with plenty of cash simply letting Meyers walk out the door without attempting to match the offer figuring he could settle for Catanzaro. We all know a good kicker in today’s NFL can be the the difference between a good and bad season.

Yes, Belichick had two really good K’s but at least he recognized it. He didn’t let Vinatieri walk out the door until he was older than dirt and he had a replacement ready. Nobody could of guessed he’d kick until he was 46 or whatever.

It is what it is now. I hope Cantanzaro rediscovers himself and performs like 2017 but I really think some posters are undervaluing the importance of a reliable kicker. If they really are a ‘ dime a dozen ‘ why not just sign anybody to do it ?

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Myers's season was an outlier.

FJF likes this.
  15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

That's the recipe for heartbreak.

Doug Brien.

The Bears felt the pain in the playoffs last season.

Smart teams value a good kicker and why not? He's a part of the team a part of the team that can make or break a season.

This guy Catanzaro wrecked the Cardinals season in week 1 a few years ago when he missed that kick against of all teams the Patriots.

Why the Jets continue to bring him in defies explanation.

jetstopgun and mrjet80 like this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Funny thing, Catanzaro holds the Jets records for longest FG......

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And that is the point, he was nothing and then bang a high class season out of nowhere, then wants paid like it is the normal state of affairs for him, he may well be a flash in the pan or it may have all clicked and we will regret it but not paying him 4m a season isn't something to kick Mac in the balls about imo.

Now if he signed on a 2m contract with the offer of a renewal at 4m if he matched his numbers then that would have been very fair but he got his cash anyway and good luck to him.

FJF and NYJFOREVER like this.
  18. LF911SC

Not quite.

He let Vinateri go when he was 33, hes still kicking at 46.
    Vinateri has had 13 solid seasons after he was allowed to walk.

Also when let Vinateri walk he didnt have a replacement. Vinateri left after the 05 season and then Gostkowski was drafted.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  19. mrjet80

Maybe you’re right. I hope whoever the Jets kicker is opening day whether it’s Catanzaro or somebody else doesn’t start costing them games - it’s happened before. The Jets aren’t good enough to overcome shoddy kicking.

20. mrjet80

He probably already knew he was gonna draft him at that point. And the fact he drafted a K shows how much he values the position. He’s coached twenty years and is still on his second K.

I’m not a fan of this kicker by season mentality. Maybe this changes under the new GM/coach. We can go back and forth as to whether Meyers was overpaid or just a flash in the pan but the Jets kicking history other than Lowery and Folk in his prime is very subpar.