Retire and live in USA or Turkey?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Seems simple but it ain't. If my wife and I decide to retire and move to Turkey after retirement, we can retire in exactly 10 years. In 10 years our kids will be out of college and we will have enough saved up to live in Turkey until we die. We have healthcare in Turkey taken care of so that isn't an issue.

If we decide to live in USA then we will have to work 20 more years due to cost of living.

If we move to Turkey that means our kids will stay in USA and we will be away from them. But if we stay in USA our kids will not really care about us either and they will probably visit us at most 2 times a year. So from kids stand point living in USA and Turkey won't make a difference much.

Now Turkey is a shithole. With all those Syrian Arabs invading Turkey, the demographic has gone bad. We also have an Islamic party in power but they still didn't make beer illegal in Turkey so that's something.

I don't know man. Retiring 10 year early is exciting. Especially when health care is taken care of in Turkey.

What do you guys think?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Where do you want to be? Is being in USA but having to work better than not doing anything in turkey? Only you can answer this one Brook

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess it depends on whether you want to die by suicide bomb in a shopping mall or AK-47 in a shopping mall.

4. FJF

Come on man, that’s not right

we’ll have suicide bombers here soon enough.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. Brook!

Sir. I want to go back to Turkey. Wife wants to stay in USA. Good thing is we have 10 years to figure it out. I hope by then, wife will also see that it isn’t worth to wake up at 6 am and work all day for 10 years isn’t worth it just to retire in USA. Time should be on my side.

6. FJF

In 10 years sam will have given us a Lombardi trophy and you and the kids will love going to the games every Sunday , no chance you’ll want to leave.

7. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Retire in 10 years instead of 20, and free health care. That sounds fucking good. What about on the Aegean or Mediterranean coast somewhere, there's gotta be nice? Or Black Sea?

8. Brook!

Thousands of German and English and other European retirees flock to Mediterranean towns. Just google it and you will see. That’s actually my dream as well. But wife doesn’t want to leave our boys behind and is willing to work 10 more years for that. And to be honest. If we are going to work 10 more years I rather retire in USA not Turkey.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Off the grid somewhere near the arctic circle looks better and better each day.

sozopol and FJF like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you're not enjoying working and you feel you're missing out on something you better figure that out now. It has zero to do with retirement and everything to do with living now. You can't just waste the next ten years because it will keep you from wasting the next ten. You can't even predict that you or your wife will be alive in 10 years.

Figure out what you need to do now to improve your life now. 10 years is a long time to feel like you're just working and disconnected from being really happy. Life waits on no-one.

11. Brook!

Biggs you are making an interesting point. I don't think anybody enjoys working unless they have a super fun job like being the photographer for Playboy or something. Even they probably stop enjoying it after a while.

That said, I am perfectly happy with my life and enjoy living. I am happily married when I control my drinking. I have 2 great kids who are as happy as they can be. I live in a nice town with good neighbors. I work only 10 minute from my home and making a decent living. Every summer is my annual trip to Turkey and every Christmas we take kids to a different country in Europe. Last year it was Barcelona this year it is London.

So I enjoy life Biggs and knowing that I will die like my father and uncle and both grandfathers early 60's from a hearth attack I don't want to work until I am 60. Gotta run now but thanks for your perspective.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A career that dictates your lifestyle.... or a lifestyle that dictates your "career"?

One may make you more $, but the other will prob make you more happy.......*

* granted I'll prob be a broke old man.... but I'll be a beat up old man who wont give a shit anyway ;)

Brook! and FJF like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

FYI both my grandfathers died in their early 50's. My mom died at 89. My father remarried at 92 to a hot young 72 year old, still goes to work in NYC everyday and is celebrating his 98th this weekend.

We can't predict when or what we will die of. We can live in the present and try not to let the years go by and feel as if we just had our nose to the grindstone and missed out on something.

Looking in the rearview mirror always seems very compressed and short. Looking out front the road goes on forever. It's good to plan and put some things off. Balance that against the unpredictability of life.

You have always seemed like a very balanced guy. It's great that you're thinking about these things. It's very healthy to reassess and reset.

Brook! likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

@Brook!, I love the optimism in thinking that you will be here in 10 years to make that decision. I'm not sure what is going to happen in the next 10 days! The world is crazy. :)

Brook! likes this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Retire and go to Aruba.

Brook! likes this.
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .GTFO . . : )

17. Brook!

Boo

joe likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I think you have outrageously good options that most people should sacrifice a testicle for. You can’t go wrong.

Unless you choose to live and work in Jersey for the next ten years. Then you’ve gone about as wrong as you can go.

Brook! likes this.
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Are we talking Istanbul, central Turkey like Ankara or the Aegean/Med Coast.
    If it is the later it seems like a no brain decision.

20. Brook!

Aegean/Med coast for sure. Can't live in Istanbul/Ankara anymore.