Sam Darnold or ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I realized yesterday that for the first time since I can remember, the team I root for (Jets) has a player that I wouldn't swap with any other player in the league. I'm not saying by any stretch that he's even within the top ten or fifteen players in the league yet, or that I'm drafting him in the first half of my fantasy draft. BUT, I could not come up with a name that I would trade Sam Darnold for. Things could still go poorly, but what a feeling to have. Maybe I had that feeling at age 7 with Namath when the Jets still ruled the football world, but I don't think it's felt this way since then.

This probably seems obvious to most of you, but think about it. When you could you say the Jets had a player you wouldn't swap with any other - at any position? It feels damn good.

Would you trade Sam Darnold for..... anything?

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Patrick Mahomes springs to mind.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Luck or Mahomes.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mahomes easily. Arguably Mayfield. Watson if I was looking for a higher floor and didn't care about the ceiling. Wentz if you told me he wouldn't get hurt again. Several other QBs if I wanted to win now and didn't care about the long term. Also in a year from now, we'll have a much better idea of how good Darnold actually is.

#4 HomeoftheJets, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  5. LogeSection2RowJ

I'd take Sam over Luck because of age, and contract. Mahomes is a valid choice. He's already proven it, and that arm!

LF911SC likes this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

You'd really take Wentz over Sam Darnold? Not me. Foles won that SB. Watson? No way. I can imagine this thread when the news is announced Sam Darnold was traded for Carson Wentz. I do not think it would be shouts of exultation and SB forecasts.

LF911SC likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

When Wentz is healthy, he's elite. He most likely would have also won that SB if he hadn't gotten hurt. Watson is one of the most underrated QBs in the game. If Darnold puts up Watson numbers, TGG will go into a state of ecstacy. Having said that, Wentz may always be injury prone, and Darnold's ceiling is higher than Watson's. But for all we know, Darnold could never end up better than someone like Stafford.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Age,skill, contract, personality all being considered i’d say Mahomes would be the only one I would switch him out for.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Pat Mahomes is basically the MJ of the NFL. I think Sam has a very good chance to be an elite NFL QB. We absolutely lucked out when Cleveland took Mayfield and the Giants took Barkley. Stop having buyers remorse and enjoy the ride. Having a great young QB and building a team around him is what makes a generational fan base.

Nothing is set in stone. Enjoy the ride.

slimjasi, NYJetsO12, PabloJa and 5 others like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sam's pretty good...

But he's no Ryan Fitzmagic.

dmw and Donttasemebro like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Everyone saying Mahomes... I disagree. He’s got a FANTASTIC situation in KC. An elite deep threat, the best TE in the league, a brilliant offensive coach (sorry Gase) and an offensive that has produced great QBs out of mediocre QBs. I’m not saying Mahomes isn’t better, I’m saying he wouldn’t be as good if he stepped into the current Jets situation as is.

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

As good as Mahommes is I think he may have shot his load in 2018. Good chance he never has a season as good as that or even close to it the rest of his career.

Darnold still has a ways to go. I'm not crowning him yet. I hope he becomes the player we all hope he is but he's not at the point where I would say that about him. Let him prove it on the field.

The only current Jet I would say that about is Jamal Adams.

13. HomeoftheJets

I understand Mahomes wouldn't have thrown 50 TDs here, but you can see the crazy talent he has every time he steps on the field. He's like a young Aaron Rodgers before Rodgers kept getting banged up.

CBG and FJF like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He’s a street baller. And that’s translates fantastically when you have a coach who caters to it and elite deep threats who can take a broken play and turn it into an 80 yard TD. Of course Mahomes is the better QB I just don’t think he’d be anywhere near as good here as he was in KC and Sam could come close to the same kind of production as he gets better.

Edit: come close to the same kind of production Mahomes would have here as opposed to KC. I love Sam but I dunno if he’s ever gonna throw for 50

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Rodgers arguably never had 1 better year in his entire career than Mahomes had last year.

legler82 and abyzmul like this.
  16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

And 1 great season doesn't guarantee that Mahommes will have a career anywhere near as good as Rodgers' career.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Bruce Harper was awesome!

twown likes this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Rodgers hasn't had a career anywhere as good as Rodgers career.

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Mahommes is really the only player worth discussing. Mayfield vs Darnold is like flipping a coin at this point in time and I think Mayfield would get eaten up by NYC (the lifestyle and even the media). Mayfield would have been a horrible fit here. With anyone else you're talking about guys who either have less potential, are overrated (e.g., Goff), or who are on the latter half of their career.

LF911SC likes this.
  20. LogeSection2RowJ

Not in agreement he'd have been a horrible fit, but I'm happy with who we have. Mayfield impressed me last year. Sam catches right up this year.