Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I like Stroman, but this team really needs to sure up the bullpen, the starting rotation has been fine as of late. My guess is they brought him in so they have flexibility to trade Noah or Wheeler for some quality players that can hit AND play the field. I know Yankees fans are annoyed at this too, many of them wanted Stroman.

The Mets still need one more big hitter in the line up and an additional arm in the bullpen if they are serious about pushing for the playoffs. It's crazy to think that they are only 6 games out of WC spot despite the horrible first half of the season.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I admit to being confused by the hostility to this deal I’m hearing. Stroman is a good pitcher having a very good season who is under team control for another 1 1/2 seasons and who can handle New York. He’s a lot better than there’s any reason to think the prospects will be. I don’t see how this would have anything to do with Syndergaard, who they clearly shouldn’t trade unless they get an idiotically over-the-top offer. Wheeler is different - unless he’s willing to sign now for a price they find reasonable you trade him on the 31st for the most you can get (except to the Yankees - you only trade him to them if they make a crazy stupid offer).

JetBlue likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree, this seems like a good trade.

Strange is the Vargas trade; not that we traded him but that we traded him to a division rival who we need to fall off.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think Brodie is still playing Fantasy Baseball. Vargas traded for a catcher? That kinda says the Mets think they can crawl back in this thing with the bullpen they have. This 4 game winning streak just might be fool's gold. I just hope Brodie doesn't do something REALLY STUPID between now and Wednesday.

5. Sam Hammer

It's scary because it really does seem like they are going for it here. Big improvement to the starting pitching, but their biggest weakness is the bullpen. I almost expect an over the top move.

#9025 Sam Hammer, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  6. JetBlue

I don’t know if they are particularly going for it this year so much as that there is a core of a team here that is pretty good that they aren’t giving up on; if we make a run this year that’s great but it’s also to shore up the team for next year so that we just have to fill in the holes in the bullpen. DeGrom, Thor, Stroman is a good top of a rotation. Even if we are too far behind this year, for next year that’s a good starting point.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  7. statjeff22

I think that’s exactly right - they really did believe what they said at the beginning of the season (that the team can be contenders), and at least for now that’s how they’re operating.

8. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

9. NYGalPal

At this point could the Mets even give Diaz away if they wanted? lol I don't think he's a player that can handle playing in NY. Cano hit 3 HR and went bye bye again. lol

Cman68 likes this.
  10. NYGalPal

Granted the teams we are playing suck so the wins can very well be misleading, but the Mets are now 5 games within the wildcard. That just a fact!

11. JetBlue

Fingers crossed the Dodgers are desperate enough to take Diaz.

Cano would be tolerable if he was batting 8th.

12. Sam Hammer

Looks like the Mets are intent on keeping Thor and trying to move Wheeler before deadline.

Nothing tangible yet, but I read on twitter they were talking to Rays, Yankees and Astros regarding him.

Edit according to Joel Sherman, Yankees are out on Wheeler. Apparently the asking price was too high.

Mets are also looking to add a closer.

#9032 Sam Hammer, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  13. JetBlue

Trading Thor makes no sense unless it’s an offer you can’t refuse. Going down to the wire for Wheeler; I wouldn’t trade him for nothing either. I’d rather try to make a run with him and let him walk than get a player who never makes the big leagues.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. NYGalPal

Fans seem to always want change just for change sake. Keeping Wheeler & Noah I think was the right play here. Give Wheeler an extension. Even if getting the 2nd wild card is a pipe dream( which I have to assume they also think is a pipe dream because they didn't address the pen. Could have even threw Vargas in there just to see) anyway a few tweaks and this could, in theory, be a really great team next year.

#9034 NYGalPal, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    JetBlue likes this.
  15. NYGalPal

Degrom with another no-decision. Has to be incredibly frustrating.

16. NYGalPal

Mets win. Diaz strikes out 3 (good) Gives up a HR (bad) Lucky we tacked on some runs.

17. statjeff22

It’s like Diaz is deliberately trying to do something crappy in every outing. How can someone with his history be this bad?

And if any Met participates in the Home Run Derby again I will go bonkers. What a disaster the last three weeks have been for Alonso.

stinkyB likes this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I..will...not..get..suckered..in

[​IMG]

JetBlue and stinkyB like this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I was secretly hoping the kid wouldnt get past the 1st rd of the derby.... I didnt even watch. and Diaz.... Holy Shit :confused:

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

and to be honest, I was kinda hoping they'd make moves for next year and beyond.... They have some good young bats for once, DeGrom locked up, Thor for 2 years, but the bullpen is trash, and they need work in other areas.

Yes, they have a chance, but The past week, beating (and often barely) scrub teams seems like fools gold..... Now I hope I'm wrong and you're calling me an idiot in October, but I just dont see it.