RIP Walt Michaels

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mrjet80, Jul 11, 2019.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Todd had a good 1982. Take a look at the Oakland playoff game -- he took some hits that will shake your PC or TV.

At least 5 or 6 hits that today would be personal fouls or roughing the passer or automatic ejections that weren't even penalized.

2. JetsKickAss

Wow, I didn't know that...where'd you see that ?

I would have asked Todd about that when I met him at some conferences years later.

3. JetsKickAss

You know what ? Blame the NFL for not looking into it earlier in the week !!

And blame the Jets for not checking in, too. WTF were they doing ? Worrying about Walt calling out Al Davis or a few drinks on the plane ?

There was no internet but there were weather reports from Miami back in 1983. The Jets should have been on it and if the Dolphins refused, the Jets would have been right to demand a change of venue to play the game.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I read it I believe in a book called 'Nose to Nose'. It was written by Greg Logan in corroboration with Joe Klecko and Joe Fields. It was written right after those guys retired and there is a lot of information in there about the Michaels/Walton years.

5. mrjet80

Joe Walton was criticized for not curtailing the game plan after finding out about the weather. The Jets would have flown in the day before - they would have known at least 24 hours prior....

6. mrjet80

Maybe so but hard to fault them for that. The Jets OL at the time was superb and still young or at least in their prime. Now using hindsight of course he should of been the pick. But one could also say they should have not traded up, stayed put, and taken Art Monk.

Do you realize in theory the Jets could have had ( in order ) Munoz, Marino, Rice, and Emmitt Smith all in a 10 year span.......

7. mrjet80

Yeah I know. That one play right there changed the whole course of the season I really believe that. Had they jumped out on Seattle they would of finished them off.....that and then the Atlanta game they blew up 21-0. Killed the season......

All those Seattle games they lost during the Michaels years always came down to fluke plays ( fake FGs, blocked punts, flea-flickers - you name it ) and bad officiating I thought.

8. JetsKickAss

Woodley as I recallled threw 2 or 3 interceptions. Todd had 2 tipped or caused by the rain. He had a terrible game, but the conditions were unreal.

I don't know why he would have gone solo. Maybe he went home first to Alabama to take care of personal stuff. I don't really know.

9. JetsKickAss

I remember it like yesterday....watched all the playoff games with my GF in college.

Definitely should have run more. Any passes longer than 10 yards were suicide; not sure how many screens we tried.

Again...I blame THE JETS for not being informed about the field. I'm surprised that Jet fans in Miami (always lots of them) didn't call up NY and tell them days earlier.

10. JetsKickAss

The Blair Thomas pick still baffles me. Don't know how someone so good in college could be such a bust. With a guy like Ghoulston, I get it. But running in college is the same as in the pros.

The idea was that Munoz would play LT and Chris Ward would shift to LG where his quickness wouldn't be as big a detriment.

jilozzo likes this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i know a bit about the thomas pick.........

this is a case where the jets were NOT getting cute and trying to pull one on the league like many attempts in years past. as u know it was steinberg's first draft and they wanted to play it real safe. Thomas had all the right numbers out of PS and was a decent kid. Coslet did have some input and lobbied for the running game - taking the heat off the QB spot cause he was never enamored with KOB. They had thomas graded ahead of e. smith - and several other teams did as well.

thats really it - no mind twisters. HOWEVER........Even in 1990 - the team was planning to go QB in 91 and was already following favre.

12. mrjet80

Another landmine of a draft......Favre swooped up right before the pick.

13. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

Blair Thomas never seemed to just hit the hole. He always tried to make one more move, juke, etc in order to hit the home run ball on every play. Unfortunately, in the NFL, the linemen are just as fast as the running backs and that one extra step was all they needed to close the hole and catch him.
    Sadly, He just never seemed to be able to break that habit.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Makes me think about how Le'Veon will gel with our slapdick O-line.

We need to improve that unit ...asap.

15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

How would a young, immature (though talented) risk taking bumpkin have fared in NYC back then? Maybe he would've led us to Super Bowls or maybe he would've crumbled under the pressure like Todd and Sanchez.

16. forevercursed

True yes. He danced too much. Always thought it was more indecision than a lack of vision. But he never really got it fixed. And guys like Brad Baxter, Johnny Johnson, even an aging Johnny Hector on his last legs just seemed to want it more and run with more authority

17. mrjet80

Well.....good points but you cant teach the talent he had. Todd and Sanchez both did not have Favre's athletic or leadership skills. Todd had talent albeit a lesser version. Sanchez even less....although I think skipping his final season at USC did him much more harm than good. He should of listened to Carroll in hindsight.

18. forevercursed

Oh definitely not. They couldn't make plays like he did or just have the freakish arm talent. You put a Favre at the helm of that 1994 Jets team and who knows, maybe Pete Carroll would be about to embark on his 26th year as Jets coach

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets 82 team was terrific just like the 98 team. The reality is Miami's 82 team and Denvers 98 team were better. The 82 Dolphin team beat us twice during the season, went 7 and 2 and had the No. 1 D in the NFL. It wasn't a fluke that they stopped our O. They were really good. They beat a very good SD team who had the No. 1 O in the league that year 34 to 13 to get the Jets at home.

With all the excuses, the one that nobody brings up is Miami was better than us in 82. Denver wasn't necessarily better than us in 98 but at home they were at least a mile better than us.

Acad23 likes this.
  20. mrjet80

He felt he was responsible for the loss with the 5 INTs and didn’t want to face his teammates . And that only added to Michaels ire on the plane ride home.