RIP Walt Michaels

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mrjet80, Jul 11, 2019.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Didn't Merlin say that was so obvious Mary Ingalls could see it...

tomdeb, egelband and mrjet80 like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No John Idzik Sr was the OC. He was the father of the former Jets GM John Idzik Jr

#22 mrjet80, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. TonyFtLaud

His name was John, same as his son

jilozzo, egelband and mrjet80 like this.
  4. mrjet80

Yeah I just googled and edited ......anyway Idzik Sr was the OC in 1979 and went behind Michaels back trying to hide Robinson’s thumb injury which resulted in disaster ....

jilozzo and TonyFtLaud like this.
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

RIP Coach

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Going behind the coach's back. Like father, like son. RIP Coach Michaels.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Walt Michaels brings backs memories of a time when NFL games were of high quality and very enjoyable to watch. That Jets-Raiders playoff game in '82 was a classic and probably one of the best the Jets ever played. In comparison, today's NFL is a bunch of rigged garbage with a slew of idiotic characters (from owners to coaches to players to media) acting like clowns. But then again, you can say the same about any major sports league.

Getting back to Michaels, he deserved a better fate. The guy may have had some issues, but he wasn't a backstabbing scumbag like Shula, Davis and Rozelle. Everybody talks about what a great coach Shula was. What they fail to mention is that Shula coached his last 23 years without winning a Super Bowl. Who is allowed to coach for a quarter of a century and not win jack shit? By being allowed to hang around so long because he sucked off the right people, he set that Miami franchise back half a century.

Mark Lattimer, joe, cval and 3 others like this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

RIP coach

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Fuck me. That's Savage.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

Hopefully no Walnut Creek residents were offended...

egelband likes this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yes i wasn't being a dick - i knew there was a connection with robinson and todd but was too lazy to look up. Actually thought maybe Idzik was actually another QB in the fold. 79 was a bit early for my fandom.

thanks.

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

He parted ways with the Jets just before I started to follow the sport (1983) and then the team (1984). From what I read, it seems like that Mud Bowl fiasco really messed him up.

RIP Walt. You're gave this franchise some great days.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I very nearly sunscribed to that! But the internet started giving everything away for free...

I still think a proper publication has some advantages over a website.

14. mrjet80

No problem I figured it was probably before your time .

Basically ( if you haven’t heard the story ) Matt Robinson sprained his thumb arm wrestling Klecko on the Friday before the opener. Idzik Sr and Robinson spent all of Saturday icing down the thumb . This was pre internet etc. so they were able to keep it between them figuring the extra care would heal the thumb by kick off Sunday ( and I would imagine trying to avoid Michaels wrath). On Sunday Michaels was told a different story that he jammed the thumb in a doorway but the swelling was gone and the bandage was simply precautionary. Michaels was pissed but convinced Robinson would be ok to play. Robinson and the Jets played well and with about a minute left took a 3 pt lead. Robinson ripped off the bandage in celebration. I’m sure you can imagine what happened next. Not only did his thumb start to swell up again but the Browns tied the game on a deflected bomb along with a rookie named Mark Gastineau roughing the passer . Then in OT Robinson threw a pass that fluttered, was intercepted and turned into the game winning FG for the Browns . That was the last game Robinson ever played for the Jets and Idzik was gone following the season. Michaels never forgave him .

NCJetsfan, KurtTheJetsFan and jilozzo like this.
  15. mrjet80

LOL if Olsen did say that not only was that quite the quote but it would of been true. Shula and the refs screwed the Jets that day.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

HOLY SHIT.....i had no idea about the ending of this game - and GASTINEAU. are u F serious. WOW.

i think this game is on utube. gotta see.

thanks!!

17. mrjet80

It is on utube and take notice of Michaels anger as this is all unfolding . He was PISSED.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. mrjet80

Shula was and is a God in South Florida EXCEPT in 1995 when they chased him out with a pitch fork because Jimmy Johnson wanted the job. And when he did take over what a cluster that became ......lol

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was me. Good recollection, MrJet80 !!!

I wish I could remember when it was....it COULD have been late-1990's because I don't recall going to any Jets games after like 2002 at The Meadowlands. My season tickets were in the late-1980's but Michaels wouldn't have had walking troubles at that time. I just remember I was sitting in the upper deck (300's I think) at Giants Stadium and he was there with his wife.

I didn't mention the whole Robinson thing in my post above. And I had totally forgotten that he wrote for Lebenthals (?) Jets Confidential for a period of time. I'm not sure I even read his columns, just remember reading he was writing for them (probably read it in The Post or News).

He was a good man and a good coach. He deserved better. The vitriol he got from the tabloids -- I remember Mike Lupica coming to his defense in 1980 after Howard Cosell and the MNF crew ripped him mercilessly after the Chuck Ramsey Fiasco -- was nothing compared to today, even without talk radio and social media.

Jim Kensil should have protected Michaels, not undermined him.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.