Leonard Williams looks fat to me

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Sep 16, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the players can never get criticism on this board. Sharon Lee was great. Leonard Williams best in the NFL. McClown was such a valuable player... I could go on and on

4-12 though. will all the superstars I read about on here, you'd think these players would've actually brought some wins

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Who said Williams is a super star? He's been a solid starting NFL player who has gotten better. He's 26 years old and if he doesn't get hurt will have an 8 to 12 year NFL career if not more as a solid starter.

Ferguson was taken with the 4th over all pick. He was never an all pro LT. He had a 10 year career. He started 160 out of 160 games. He was a solid player and an essential player in two SB runs.

Williams has started 63 out of 64 starts. He plays the most snaps by far of any lineman on the team. He's a solid starter. He's one of the better NFL lineman. He doesn't get hurt. The only reason we got him is because he fell to us in the draft and Macagan couldn't screw it up.

One of the biggest reasons we were 4 and 12 last year was Sam Darnold sucked as an NFL starting QB and we didn't have enough solid players, guys like Leonard Williams, on both sides of the ball. Now Sam Darnold is the reason most Jet fans are optimistic about the Jets future and we've added more solid players.

Teams win SB when they have enough solid players who do their job and stay on the field. Leonard Williams is one of a small handful of players that the Jets had last year that did their job.

HomeoftheJets, FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

whoa whoa whoa... you are gonna upset some folks big time by saying Sam Darnold sucked

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

By any metric he did suck. He also progressed and showed tremendous potential. We lost games because we got bad QB play last year. Cleveland was a classic example.

HomeoftheJets and Ralebird like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Cleveland was way more on the defense in my mind. Wayyyy more. This isn't to say having a 21 year old rookie QB wasn't a major reason why we lost games, but it wasn't why we lost THAT game. As soon as Mayfield came in, the Browns turned into the Saints.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not in the first Miami game, he and the defense kept us in the game. The skill position players really let Darnold down that game.

I know you arent talking about the Texans and Packers game either.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Cleveland had a total of 323 net yards in that game. The Jets got 4 sacks in that game. Darnold turned the ball over twice. He went 15 for 31 for 169. He had a 38.2 QBR. You don't win road games with that kind of complete crap play out of your QB. I don't care what age he is. I don't blame that on Sam it is what it is. It's part of his development.

The Jets have a mediocre not great D last year. The Jets were on the road with 4 days rest. The O left the d to hang out to dry with short drives. They turned the ball over setting up short fields. We had multiple chances to break that game open early and didn't do it. Granted the roughing penalty on Johnson didn't help but you can't expect a decent not great Defense to win on the road with a short week with inept QB play and that kind of dysfunctional O that tries to play mistake free ball control and fails to control the ball or be mistake free.

Guess what in today's NFL unless you have an elite D if you can't drive the ball and score points on the road eventually the home team is going to score enough points to win.

TonyFtLaud and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

All rookie QBs suck. Mayfield is being hyped to oblivion for being halfway decent as a rookie. It’s extremely difficult to be good year 1. Look at the bottoms of the leaderboards in every single season and it’s a bunch of rookies (and Blake Bortles).

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not knocking Darnold. This thread has been killing Williams. Williams is one of the few solid players we have on our team. Darnold showed signs of being a potential elite NFL QB and he had some atrociously bad games last year. On any metric, Darnold was a bad NFL starting QB last year who cost us games. Who cares?

Against Miami in the first game he both kept us in the game and killed the momentum to win the game with his 1st and 10 INT on the Miami 10 after the D forced a turnover. That was a huge moment in that game.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Agreed. Just so we're clear, after last year, If both were available I would take Darnold over Mayfield even with that hindsight.

11. 101GangGreen101

It's a good thing metrics do not tell the entire story. Darnold had a tough rookie year with a lot of highs and a lot of lows. No different then the other rookie QBs. You have to look at what transpired last year as a whole. Darnold cost us games, the offensive line cost us games, skill position players cost us games.

Against Miami, the Robby fumble and the interception in the RZ by a horrible route by Pryor were complete game changers and probably cost the team 10 points. Those 10 points would have won the game for the Jets. That Robby fumbled generated 7 points for the Fins.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I actually thought we recovered from Robby's fumble with the second half TD and the quick turnover. The INT on the 1st play after the turnover was a dagger in the heart. In fairness to Pryor, when has he ever run a crisp route?

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So now Leonard is good & Sam sucks?

Ok...I'm all caught up.

14. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

You might sound like you know a little about what youre talking about if you didnt go so over the top.
    Lee wasnt Sharon, no one has ever called him great. Leo has never been called best in the NFL, if they have, please copy and paste and I'll apologize. McCown had value as a mentor to a 21 year old rookie QB.

Maybe its not that youre confused with players talents, its that youre totally confused how people view them. Either way youre worse than what you claim others are at this,

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

The Robby fumble led to a big play from Albert Wilson and the Fins went up 20-0. Jets had 3 big drives and 3 of them led to no points. The Pryor turnover happened in the 2nd half when we were coming back. Also Herndon getting stopped at the 2 yard line before the end of the first half.

Jets were moving the chains all day long, just awful execution at opportune moments. I do agree about Pryor and his shit route running. Also, throwing it to Xavier Howard isnt the best idea.

16. BrowningNagle

I don't disagree at all, in fact I agree with you.

but it speaks to my earlier point - you can't criticize the players on this board without certain people getting quite upset. (as you can see) - its weird

17. BrowningNagle

hahaha :D

18. BrowningNagle

oh yeah right. trust me, it's been said on this board. I had that debate for years

19. LF911SC

And just like here, where pretty much no one agrees with you, you dont see the need to maybe back off a bit?

Interesting

20. LF911SC

And the play before where Herndon made the rookie mistake of not going out of bounds allowing the clock to run down and the half ultimately ending in the two.