Crazy, but we should all be thanking Chris Johnson right now. Without him, we don't get Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

BB did not go from the Browns to Pats HC.
    He did not get hired as a HC directly after being fired as a HC, he went to the Pats/Jets and worked with Parcells again first. That can be humbling and give you some time to reflect on how to improve in your next go round.

2. A large portion of Gase’s failure in Miami was personnel related.He simply didnt have the horses..that falls squarely on his own shoulders bc he had final say on all roster decisions.

That said,i thought those Dolphon teams were the most well coached theyve been in at least a decade.Didnt lead to alot of winning but im willing to give Gase a shot w a much better infrastructure around him & no longer in charge of personnel

BudJet likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Are you really intimating that the most arrogant shithead in the NFL had a humbling experience?

Acad23 likes this.
  4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Its tough, because in most situations I would disagree with the timing of the firing. He should have been canned along with Bowles, like any organization would.

Having said that, if the reason Chris Johnson didnt fire Mac was because he was doing his due diligence, I'm impressed. He didnt have enough of an evaluation going into the offseason, and when he finally saw how Mac operated he had to let him go.

Either way, this worked out well for the Jets. They got probably the best option at GM they could have hoped for, and the timing of the firing was probably a huge reason why.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Jets fans always make this same mistake. Why would you thank Christoper Johnson for hiring Douglas ... who we have no idea if he's any good yet? Why not wait until we see if the new GM performs any better than the last four loser general managers before you thank the loser team owner for hiring him?

And regardless of whether it's a terrible hire or a great hire, there's absolutely no arguing that it wasn't an incredibly stupid time to replace the general manager (after free agency and the draft was over). It's a demonstration that the team owner doesn't have a clue.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Because the Jets NEVER get their top GM target. Typically, the Jets get turned down.

HomeoftheJets and Jets81 like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

seriously SMH... hiring someone is not an accomplishment. lets see if Douglas gets the Jets to win any games first before we kiss any butts

Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  8. Unhappyjetsfan

Maybe he was our top GM target because every other GM target took jobs 5 months ago.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Interesting I wasn't aware that Woody was involved at all with that. Woody usually cheaps out, so that's a surprise.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The Eagles were turning down requests for interviews more than a year ago, so by your logic we may have the best candidate of the last two years.

And your logic isn't great so I'm not saying that we hired the best candidate of the last two years.

11. BrowningNagle

he was the "top target" for the Jets solely because he is best friends with Adam Gase... lets all be honest.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

Like who? Because not many GMs were fired / hired during that period.

13. 101GangGreen101

I guess you prefer a consulting firm to hire them?

Acad23 likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

No. I was just stating what we all know is true

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can't believe nobody is thanking Manish.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Unhappyjetsfan

DeCosta or Mayock.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

DeCosta wasn't leaving the Ravens and Mayock doesn't have the FO experience that Douglas has.

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why are you ignoring the fact that other teams tried to interview him and were blocked? On top of that, everyone who is anyone singing the guys praises? Clearly there’s a whole lot more to it than “he’s best friends with Adam Gase” which is also false.

#58 BroadwayAaron, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    NCJetsfan and Ralebird like this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

In fact, they should be thanking Gettleman instead of Chris Johnson for choosing Barkley instead of Darnold.

#58 Cman68, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Unhappyjetsfan likes this.
  20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Should we thank Christopher Johnson? Sure I guess...but why not thank Gase. After all he could've been more cooperative with Mac, played nice...and Mac would still be here. Instead Gase was the squeaky wheel, he booted Mac out the door and got his guy in here which was Douglas. And I would bet anything Gase was already backchanneling with Douglas since before the draft even. That's just the way things work in business...in life. Joe Douglas was doing his homework on the Jets before any of this hit the papers

Nobody knows how this will end up but I doubt Chris Johnson even knew who Joe Douglas was before Gase showed up

21. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Too much was made of that introductory press conference. Gase has some sort of issue with his eyes and the way he moves his head/focuses his eyes when he speakrs. I have no idea what it is but as we see now he has to wear a hat to heavily shade them most of the time. He's very well spoken, intelligent, passionate. He's got a beautiful young family. He's a well adjusted guy. But in a suit & tie situation where he can't wear a hat it's a lot more evident.

I'm sure he'd rather not appear that way either...could be a light sensitivity issue or a motor/neuro issue. I really have no idea and could care less. It's something he was born with and it's out of his control. I don't think it's anything that interferes with his coaching.

#59 forevercursed, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  22. Unhappyjetsfan

I'm not saying Douglas is a poor choice - none of us (including me) know anything about his level of involvement in Philadelphia's (admittedly good) recent personnel decisions. What I am saying is that our ownership's track record, and Gase's track record, are both poor ... and they do not deserve the benefit of the doubt before receiving praise. If they are to be praised, their decisions should demonstrate success (ie, substantial progress towards winning a Super Bowl - and nothing less) first. So far, Douglas hasn't done anything. There's zero reason to praise (or denigrate) whoever hired him based on his performance.