General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm wondering how much of a departure "Dark Phoenix" will be from the comic "Phoenix Saga"... That was my favorite Xmen storyline period. Not sure how they're gonna slash and chop but I hope they don't completely butcher it.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

So a semi-long rant. I remember X-men coming out whenever, 2001? Whatever it was and liking it. I saw X2, liked it, but didn't love it. X3 was not very good and I only saw it when it came to TV. Likewise I didn't see First Class or whatever it was called until it was on TV. Never saw Days of future past.

This leads to the previews for Armageddon (or whatever it was called) and Dark Phoenix. I had no intention of seeing them, but I think the trailers look really good. Armageddon got bad reviews and a few of my friends said it was bad, but I swear, the preview looked good. I think Dark Phoenix looks really good, but I'm guessing it is not great.

what would be awesome is if they had Dark Phoenix literally kill everyone, since this is mostly the last movie they are going to make with these characters. Just have the bad guy win completely.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Apocalypse (I think this is what you mean) has some really good moments. It is not a great movie, but I had fun. And I agree Dark Phoenix looks like it could be good, but it does have a lot of negativity around it, so I doubt it will be great.

Yeah, I am not sure either. It really is a great storyline. They ruined it in The Last Stand, so hopefully they do a better job in Dark Phoenix.

PS: I saw John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum last night. If you like the first 2, you will love this one! :cool:

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

I might do the Firestick move on JW3. Don't have time this weekend to go to the movies.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It will probably be just as faithful to the comic storyline as any other Xmen movie that Fox has ever made.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. Cman68

That didn't make me feel any better Byz...

7. The Dark Knight

Summer movies are getting into full swing now:

Next Week: Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    June 7: Dark Phoenix
    June 14: Men In Black: International
    June 21: Toy Story 4
    July 2: Spider-Man: Far From Home
    July 19: The Lion King
    July 26: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I am excited for a few of those.

8. Cman68

I think I can pass on Toy Story 4 and Lion King

9. The Dark Knight

Yeah, the four I am most interested in are:
    1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    2. Spider-Man: Far From Home
    3. Dark Phoenix
    4. Godzilla

10. The Dark Knight

John Rambo is back for some Last Blood!

11. Cman68

oh boy... here we go... needless encore..

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I went to see Godzilla King of the Monsters yesterday afternoon. My brother and I were the only people in the theatre for that particular showing which surprised me.

It was okay not nearly as good as I was hoping it would be. I enjoyed the 2014 Godzilla movie much more. I think this one is on par with Kong Skull Island okay nothing special.

Oh well next week the new X-Men flick comes out. The quest for a blockbuster that lives up to the hype continues.

The Dark Knight and Cman68 like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

Dark Phoenix reviews are trashing it pretty hard. I am about to go see it tonight, so I will let you guys know how it is or if it is at least worth seeing in theaters.

14. The Dark Knight

Yeah, don't expect too much from the comics, @Cman60. Go in with very low expectations. It is by far the worst of the 4 new X-Men films (First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix). I feel like if you like the X-Men, you can at least sit through and enjoy some moments in the movie though. This movie is properly titled Dark Phoenix because it is mostly about Jean Grey. Sophie Turner does a good job in the role, but there is not too much else to the story. The action is weak except for a really cool train sequence. Overall, I think I would have to give this a C-.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am going to assume its going to be bad, but enjoy!

I'll just watch the FOX Cartoon story arc instead. 2nd time, they've butchered this story line in the movies.

16. The Dark Knight

Yep, some cool moments, but not a great movie. And the 90's cartoon really was good. One of my favorites.

17. Cman68

Sounds like a candidate for my Fire stick and 1X-bet..

18. The Dark Knight

The best part of Dark Phoenix was the Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer that played before it. :)

phubbadaman likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I went to see John Wick 3 today I wanted to watch it on the big screen. I watched the first two movies for the first time last weekend. It was good it was on par with the first two movies I like how the characters and storylines flow from one movie to the next and of course lotsa action.

Of the summer blockbusters I've seen so far it's the best one so far it was better than Godzilla and way way waaaaaay better than the gawd awful Avengers Endgame my lowbar for movies.

I'll likely go see X-men dark pheonix next weekend.

20. Cman68

Just went to see MiB International and it was better than I expected. Seems Marvel decided to lend some star power to the movie with Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson who is very cute with those pretty big brown eyes of hers. :)
    If you are a fan of CGI, this is your movie as its loaded from beginning to end. Not any more heavy handed than the other MiB movies though. No holdovers from the first 3 movies but the new folks did a credible job. Far better effort than Hellboy.
    The plot held your attention throughout and as far as reboots go, Hellboy still holds the title as the worst reboot since the Fantastic Four bomb. Yes, odds are there will be a MiB Int. 2 although this one isn't setting any box office records. I guess after the Dark Phoenix fiasco, folks are leery now.
    All in all, its a popcorn matinee reboot good for killing time on a lazy afternoon. It's not gonna win any awards, but it will entertain you.