A POSITIVE New York Jets Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, May 24, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Too much negativity around the Jets and this message board these days. I thought it would be nice to make a thread about all the good things going on with the New York Jets. There are many! Post your positive thoughts! Here are mine:

[​IMG]
    1. Sam Darnold is going to be a great QB. Mac may have made many mistakes, but I think he got this team the franchise QB it has needed for years. His press conference yesterday gave me even more confidence in him. I expect a huge jump in Year 2.

[​IMG]
    2. The new uniforms look awesome! I love the home Green jerseys. Really remind me of the 80's jerseys they wore when I was a kid. The White road jerseys look really cool and I am surprised how much I like the alternate Black ones too! The helmet keeps growing on me.

[​IMG]
    3. The additions of Mosley, Bell, and Crowder will be big for the Jets. They cost a lot of money in Free Agency, but I think all of them will make big impacts.

[​IMG]
    4. The timing was odd, but it was the right move firing Mike Maccagnan. He did some good things, but clearly there is something off with him and more to the story than we know. His drafts have been weak besides Round 1, and clearly did not see eye to eye with Gase. One thing most fans have agreed with is the GM position can be upgraded. Now the Jets are doing it!

[​IMG]
    5. I am liking what I am seeing from Adam Gase. Clearly a HUGE upgrade over Todd Bowles. I love how he handled the media yesterday. It gave me a lot more confidence in him. He needs to translate that to the field, but I think he will. One of the rumors was his players did not like him in Miami, but it seems like all the Jets are liking him so far, including Bell. You can definitely see how intelligent Gase is.

A couple bonus thoughts:

-I think the 2019 schedule is pretty manageable. If the Jets can get off to a good start, there is no reason they can't make a playoff push.

-I am really liking Quinnen Williams already. I don't think we realize how great he is going to be for the Jets.

Those are my POSITIVE thoughts at the moment. What are yours? I would love to read them! :)

2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

3. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

hornblower and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I like that Dave Gettleman is the GM of the Giants.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jets have not lost a big game in quite some time.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i'm blind to these positive posts. Ugh.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, we could all use a little motivation. Crazy that there are no OTA threads this year, just people complaining.

LarryAlRalph and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2019/05/24/the-sam-darnold-and-adam-gase-marriage-is-off-to-impressive-start/

The Sam Darnold and Adam Gase marriage is off to impressive start
    By Brian Costello

May 24, 2019 | 12:24pm

Enlarge Image
    [​IMG]
    Sam DarnoldBill Kostroun/New York Post
    MORE ON:
    NEW YORK JETS

The Jets had their first organized team activity (OTA) practice that was open to the media on Thursday. Most of the attention focused on coach Adam Gase’s news conference and his answers about the firing of general manager Mike Maccagnan. But there was some actual football.

Here are some observations from that first open practice:

1. Second-year quarterback Sam Darnold looked really good. Now, it is only May and you can’t read too much into these OTA practices when players are in shorts. Still, Darnold looked comfortable in Gase’s offense and made some jaw-dropping throws.

The two that stood out were a 43-yard bomb down the sideline to Robby Anderson that was perfectly placed and a throw across the middle to Quincy Enunwa. On the Enunwa pass, Darnold moved to his right and then threw a dart to Enunwa in a tight window.

Darnold sounds like he is enjoying playing for Gase and he looked at ease on the field.

2. The practice had a tremendous pace to it. Instead of huddling and Gase telling the play to Darnold, he used a walkie-talkie to speak to Darnold through his helmet headset, simulating a game. That resulted in plays being called rapidly and it did not feel like there was any dead time in the practice.

As a result of that, the energy of the practice was high. It did not feel like May. It felt more like an August training camp practice. The presence of Gregg Williams added to that. He had the defense fired up and talking plenty. At one point, guard Kelechi Osemele and defensive end Leonard Williams did some pushing and shoving. It is rare to see that in an OTA where the practices are usually more relaxed.

3. One area of concern for the Jets that jumped out on Thursday is their depth at cornerback. Trumaine Johnson was not at the practice. That left Darryl Roberts and Derrick Jones as their starting cornerbacks on the outside with Brian Poole at slot.

Johnson could have a bounceback year after a disappointing first season with the Jets. Roberts served as a nice backup, but can you trust him for 1,000 snaps? Then, if they have one injury, which is usually something you can bank on at that position, they are in deep trouble. It is not as bad as 2014 when John Idzik gave Rex Ryan no cornerbacks, but it feels close.

Gase and the new general manager likely will find a veteran cornerback before training camp. Morris Claiborne is still a free agent. The Jets could bring him back. It won’t be easy to find a fix because cornerbacks are found in March in free agency and in April in the draft, not in June and July usually.

4. There has been a lot of focus on Le’Veon Bell not attending these voluntary sessions, but one beneficiary has been Ty Montgomery. The former Packer has been getting the bulk of the first-team reps in Bell’s absence. You can tell Gase likes Montgomery’s versatility. He can do so many things with him both in the running and passing games.

When Bell returns, he will be a major part of the offense but Montgomery is showing he could be a contributor this season, too.

5. Gase had a giant video screen set up in one corner of the fieldhouse where the Jets practiced on Thursday. It showed replays of the drills and plays the team had just run. I have never seen a setup like that before. It is an interesting concept and a smart one. Players don’t have to wait until hours later to see what corrections they need to make. They can watch it immediately.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

#5 in the above article is pretty neat...setting up a giant screen right in the field house so players can watch real time what's going on.....not hours later in a meeting room.

THIS is an example of an owner spending non-cap money to make the team better. JJ had to spend on the giant screen, camera men filming the practice, and a real time editor creating and playing the re-runs. Probably $100K. Love to see it! I Hope this is all Gase.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

None of the Jets current players have been accused of rape or child abuse or murder to my knowledge.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Does 4 years ago count? Play and you are in against Buffalo.

Baumeister and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Manish Mehta lost his source. :D:D:D

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am positive I will enjoy tailgating in the parking lot like I do every year.

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The Jets are 1-0 in the SuperBowl.

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Just read something by Connor Hughes in The Athletic at OTAs. He said he has been watching Bates offenses so long that he did not recognize Gase's. Gase is so much more sophisticated. He said Gase tries to get recievers open at all levels on passing plays, whereas Btes usually focused on one guy. Sounds promising. hard to believe what Sam had to deal with. Gase is a big guy for mismatches

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There's been about a half dozen guys here that didn't buy in to the negativity.

We should get some free doughnuts or something....:cool:

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Points two and five sound good and so obvious you wonder why it hasn't been done before.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The similarity with Bates and Gase are they have both been called "the smartest offensive guy in the building." Some people buy into language like that, some don't and wait for results on the field when the clock is running.

jdon and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

14:10 drill probably a good idea. Plus a Sam DWTS gif at 14:27.

(Ok, I watched the whole thing. I'm not proud.)