S.O.J.O. (Same Old Jets Ownership)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, May 15, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He’s also working with a much better roster this go around. I can’t speak to his GM abilities (or lack there of) but he’s owned us and has had success against the Pats.

That’s a hell of a lot better then what we had.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We will never win a Superbowl with the Johnsons as owners....its sad but its true.We will be lucky if we see one playoff appearance in the next 25 years..

Jets69 and Brook! like this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I guess people said the same thing when BB quit as HC NYJ. He's 36 and 44 record as Cleveland's HC proved he would be the best HC in NFL history.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I never would have guessed. Adam Gase as the second coming of Belichick. And from a guy who is always so sure about everything.

Jets69 likes this.
  5. Phins_4_Ever

Phins_4_Ever Member

I waited for a while to add my 2 cents but here is my take on Gase.

1) Gase has serious trouble identifying talent which is already on the team especially when it comes to RB. In his first year he overlooked Ajayi for an old Foster. If Foster would have not retired on his own Ajayi never sees the field and the 10-6 record would have never happened.
    In his second year he overlooked Drake after they traded Ajayi. Making him in charge of anything personnel is a huge mistake which brings me to....

2) Gase had a 10-6 record with us in his first year with talent picked by others. In his 2nd and 3rd year they gave him more power in personnel decisions and the slide was obvious. The Dolphins have never made a step forward under him but many steps backwards.

3) Gase is a really bad play caller. It won't be obvious in the first year but will become quiet clear in his second year. The biggest problem the Jets will face is that he will limit Darnold. He won't be allowed to change a play. Your only hope is that Gase will be gone in a couple years otherwise he will screw up Darnold and stop him in his development. As a HC he also pays no attention to defense. He will be sitting on the sideline and scribble on his piece of paper when your defense is on the field. That's how we got stuck with Burke and his ridiculous "wide 9": a bad DC with an OC who does not give a crap is a real bad mixture.

4) He has an ego the size of Mount Everest and nobody knows why. At this point we don't even know if he is a good OC. His entire reputation was based on his work with Manning (we both could be OCs with Manning at QB) and that he made Cutler slightly better in Chicago but it really never showed in any major improvement of their offense.

I drank the Gase Kool Aid in 2016 as well. I was like every other Dolphins fan excited to have a young HC who was touted as QB whisperer and hoped that he could lift Tannehill beyond mediocrity.
    The 10-6 record masked his many deficiencies.

Of course you can't fault me for looking at the Jets disaster with a smile, after all I am a Dolphins fan. But I am not here to gloat. As a Dolphins fan my biggest fear was that Gase learned from his mistakes with us and will become the HC with the Jets we hoped he would become with the Dolphins but for some reason his ego doubled and Johnson just made it worse. As far as I can see your GM was not very liked and maybe his firing was justified. But he should have been fired after the season. The Jets made the same mistake the Dolphins did for many years: create a mismatch between GM and coach.

Don't get me wrong. You will have a 10- or 11-win season but it will be despite Gase not because of him. Just like us you will drink the Kool Aid and hope for even better things to happen the following year. But they won't. The only hope you will have is that the Jets cut the umbilical cord before he screws up your possible franchise QB.

Remember, Bowles also went 10-6 in his first year.

Jets69 and CBG like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I won't try to dispute anything you say about Gase. After all, it would be like a Bucs fan disputing what we here say about Bowles. That said, what choice do we have at this point but to hope that he's learned and will pull a "Belichick"? The alternative would be to hope that he fails spectacularly and is fired after this season. I don't know of any fan of any team that would have that hope. If you're right, we're screwed, and that would be heartbreaking at this point.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

My 2 cents. We have a crappy owner and so do the Dolphins.

Phins_4_Ever likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I have to tell you that EVERY SINGLE Dolphin fan that I know says this about Gase,,,,every damn one of them

Jets69 and Phins_4_Ever like this.
  9. Phins_4_Ever

Phins_4_Ever Member

:D

A Dolphins fan and a Jets fan in agreement. lol

10. Phins_4_Ever

Phins_4_Ever Member

You have no choice. Hope dies last.

And no fan wishes for failure.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This is fucking great.

Now we have Dolphin fans feeling sorry for us.

Cman68 and CBG like this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

We need to rent a plane and fly it over practice. Fire the Johnson's!

Phins_4_Ever likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

its ok we have pitied them for quite a while,,misery loves company

Cman68 and Phins_4_Ever like this.
  14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

From Peter King this morning. I wish this could happen. It won't but it'd be great.

"Mark Leibovich: Put Bad Ownership Up For a Public Vote
    Chief national correspondent, New York Times Magazine. Author, “Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times

If I could change one rule in the NFL—and I realize this would never happen in the real world but what the hell—I would put in a rule that owners need to stand for re-election every five years. Anyone who lived in the jurisdiction where the team plays, or who purchased a ticket to a home game in the last calendar year, would be eligible to vote, either “approve” or “disapprove,” on the owners’ performance. If an owner receives less than 35-percent approval, he or she would be forced to sell the franchise within 90 days, and that new owner would be forbidden from moving the team. As citizens in a democracy, one of the few remedies we have against corruption, incompetence, arrogance, etc. is to vote. As football fans, we have no such right. Instead, we are subjected to the monopolistic whims of unelected oligarchs in our communities. In many cases they are greedy idiots. They wield largely unchecked power over the fortunes of players, fans, local politicians, even their own “commissioner.” Until now.

See you on Election Day, Mr. Snyder."

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I have a question/thought:

1. What is the common thread of all these franchises that are continually bad? I can name 4 and link them all. Ownership: a. Jets, b. Mets, c. Knicks and d. Clippers when Stirling owned them, Browns, Raiders,

I really think awful ownership is overlooked on why franchises are bad. Just look at the Jets. Hess was not a good owner and now the Johnson's. We've had successes but very few.

All the good franchises what is consistent with them? Good ownerhsip.

All franchises go through periods of being bad but look at these consistent good teams. They have good stable owners.

1. Yankees
    2. Giants
    3. Steelers
    4. Patriots
    5. Red Sox

I can go on with both lists but something to look into. As fans I wish we could do more but we can't.

16. ColoradoContrails

You're right, but the problem is that your previous post isn't realistic (unfortunately). Fans don't get to choose owners, we just get to suffer them. It's been that way since the dawn of professional sports. Of course monarchies were that way too until America revolted from England. And I think it would take a similar revolution by fans to overthrow the model, but that said, it will never happen. What's the alternative? Fans collectively buying teams? Green Bay has some version of this, but would that model really work for an entire league? I doubt it.

At this point we fans have two choices: suck it up and support the team - and by extension the owner, or stop supporting the team and find another one. Simple, but not easy.

For me, I consider myself lucky that I adopted the Yankees when I was a kid, before I chose the Jets a few years later. At least I get to have some joy. Or maybe being a Jets fan is my "penance" for being a Yankees fan. At this point though I'm going to see how this season turns out. If it's another shit show, I'm done, or least will put the Jets on "ignore" until/if/when they win again. After 55 + years I've earned that right.

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I know the previous post wouldn't happen but an interesting put forward by a journalist. As for being a Yankee Jet fan I envy you. I'm a Met and Jet fan. I'm just amazed at how bad they are run by billionaires. I just don't get it. I feel like a fan like myself or some of my friends or family could do so much better.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, it's absolutely astounding that people who have all that money, and presumably intelligent and educated in good schools, can be so dumb! I suspect it has a lot to do with hubris: believing in your own greatness that you never stop to question it. Although how the blind luck of procreation and genetics that has you born into a billionaire's life has anything to do with greatness I'll never know.

I would so love for the Jets to bought by somebody who actually knows how to build a winning franchise! But there's absolutely no incentive for the Johnson Boys to sell. So for now I'm left hoping that Chris is finally waking up and beginning to figure things out. Taking a "deep dive" was a good first step; firing Macc a good follow up; keeping a close watch on Gase will be a crucial third step.

In the meantime, start drawing up incorporation papers and seeing if we can get an IPO to get the money to do a hostile takeover!:p

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If only. But I think you hit it on the head. Born into billionaire family's. Never worked a day from the bottom up. I remember working the stock room of a Hallmark store. Have to learn the nitty gritty to get to the top. They always worked in the offices and don't know what you have to do at the bottom. Reminds me of the show Undercover Boss. The bosses never understood what their employees were doing until they saw it for themselves. Unfortnately owning a team you can't do that. I agree. I think Christopher Johnson is trying. my only fear is he'll finally get it and then we'll take a step back when Woody comes back. Hopefully not.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's because they're spoiled rotten. They have gotten everything they wanted in life, have been people of privilege and had people bowing to their every whim and catering to them. They wind up thinking that they are better than others, smarter and owed being put on a pedestal. Few of them are ever made to work, learn what humility is, or have to succeed on their own wits/intelligence/talent. Their parents have bought their way in to the prime schools where they make the right social contacts so they become part of the "good old boys network."

AJT73 and ColoradoContrails like this.