(5/20) Jordan Leggett waived

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, May 20, 2019.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

hopefully Tomlinson is next.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I have very high hopes for Wesco. That guy is a monster. Hopefully his game translates at the NFL level

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Huh?

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i seen this coming easily. herndon is the clear TE1. wesco as a rookie is guarenteed a roster spot. the other 3 can fight for the last spot.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The writing was on the wall when Wesco was selected.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

He wasn’t good last year and they got Wesco. No more pretending there’s something to salvage with Mac bust picks.

LarryAlRalph, egelband, twown and 2 others like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

He was injured. When he was healthy, he showed promise. It's way toooo early to label him a "bust".

egelband and CBG like this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He played in 15 games last year and had 14 receptions for 114 yards and 1 TD.

I can understand why we cut him. Herndon had a great year and Wesco has a lot of promise.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

5th round picks are not busts. They just don’t work out.
    Don’t cheapen the word bust.
    That said, I had high hopes for leggett.
    I’m disappointed.

10. Quinnenthebeast

He played 15 games last year with a stat line 14 receptions 144 yards a TD, nothing that great. He could have easily carved out more playing time when half of our receivers were injured.

I am not saying he couldn't potentially turn his career around as he is still young, but I am not bothered by it. We got Herndon to fill the receiving role and Wesco to block. Sterling despite also being injury prone seems to have higher upside than Leggett did anyway.

11. Quinnenthebeast

Well Mac's entire 2017 draft is already looking like a bust especially if Maye can't stay on this field this year.

#11 Quinnenthebeast, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

That preseason injury his rookie year was detrimental.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This I agree with. It is too early to label him a flop. He did show promise, and he had a knack for making big receptions in crunch time at Clemson. To my knowledge, he was never given that opportunity here. My initial reaction was why now? Why not wait until after TC? I'm disappointed that he hadn't made more of a contribution to the team, and had some hopes for him under Gase this season since he was finally to stay mostly healthy last season.

It's a head scratcher for me, but I'm going to wait until I hear a reasonable reason/explanation given before I seriously question the move or agree with it.

We can speculate as to the reason(s) for being waived now. One possibility is that we don't know what Leggett's attitude is or what kind of shape he is in. Leggett has a reputation for being lazy and not working hard. Perhaps he dogged it in the voluntary workouts the team has had, was in bad shape, or hadn't looked at the new playbook or something. It's also possible that Gase only wants to keep 3 or 4 TEs and doesn't think that Leggett has a serious chance. Herndon is obviously the #1 TE. They're probably looking at Wesco as the #2. Brown is a good STer and has shown some potential before, so he probably has a better shot than Leggett of being one of the final 3-4 TEs. Sterling was the Jets' starter last season and has proven his worth when healthy. I think Tomlinson and Leggett were probably the ones most likely to be cut. Leggett might have made it if Sterling couldn't stay healthy, but I don't think he would have made it over Brown since Leggett doesn't play STs.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

What is it your not seeing?

Leggit was never known as a blocking TE.

As a pass catching TE he was easily passed By Herndon.

Wesco is by far the better blocker.

There was simply no room for a guy who might be something in his third year. As others said, the writing was on the wall with this one as soon as we took a TE in round 4.

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't see what the rush was to cut the guy... why not bring him to camp & let it play out ?

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Soft, sucks blocking, often dinged up - good riddance.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would not guarantee Wesco a spot. Gase and his need to prove he is the smartest man alive are likely to cut any Mac draft pick simply to spite Mac the best interest of the team be damned. Because this is not about the Jets winning but about Gase winning. That is his past, his present and likely his future.

As you can see by his 1st two two subtractions folowing his successful power play ousting the man who gave him a second chance when no one was interested. He has learned nothing from why he was fired in Miami. He has just doubled down on his insecure egotistical bad behavior.

#17 Noam, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  18. IIMeanDeanII

Wesco hasn't even been on the team or contributed in any way to proclaim him better than anything. College and Pro games are far different.

Herndon looks to be a good one but the timing is weird and we cant have enough quality competition. It is silly to assume that when healthy, he could've been a serious weapon for us as well.

You're telling me the other three holdovers left at TE are that much better than Legget? How do we know this?

It's very odd to me.

I don't get it but I don't get half of what this team is doing right now either.

So, we shall see. I keep coming back to that.

Idk

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

No loss as this guy has literally shown nothing since being drafted.

But as others have noted, why was it necessary to cut him now?