Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

his criteria has always been to sit pat and take BPA in the 1st round, with the exception of darnold as a FQB is always the exception to any rule in the NFL due to their importance, then fill needs later in the draft and in FA. it's true we could have wound up with allen or rosen if gettleman wasn't such an awful GM. and every team wants the same thing. football players. all the GMs nowadays know that size/speed isn't everything. why do you think dk metcalf was drafted at pick 64? amc pciks players who look good on film and look liek football players.a s well as leaders and locker room guys. he took over a shit roster thanks to MT and idzik and turned us around pretty fast. i'm pretty pissed we fired him. he was a good GM. it's insane we live in a world where mac is fired but gettleman is not who has to be the worst GM in the NFL by far

2. GasedAndConfused

panthers canned gettleman around that time too

Jets81 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Macc didn't
    He was a bad GM.

He has 2 “hits” outside of round 1
    Missed on his only non top 6 FRP
    Only added talent through free agency which most top level teams do not do.

He sucks

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Almost like a child who's been abused for years and years but psychologically still has to identify with the abuser

Jets81 likes this.
  5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'll respectfully disagree about him being a good GM, or that we've turned things around, or that every team wants the same thing (see, e.g., Pats vs KC or Rams or Seattle or Pitt -- vastly different ideas)

and by criteria i meant what characteristics is he looking for to assess best-- not all teams judge the same.

he may have been given a shit roster as you say, but he was also given a bucket of money and freedom, and we've gotten worse and rudderless. We can't even win when we have a weak schedule.

I also don't think he filled needs with later rounds or with FA and in some cases barely attempted to do so (e.g., O-line). He also seemed to have little confidence in his own judgments. When he drafted a LB high, he decided to draft two of them, ditto for safeties, ditto for D-line

He looked and sounded the part with his coffee-cup and GM-speak of BPA but he couldn't play the part. I wish him well, but am happy he is gone

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

After the 2015 season, the team has gone 14-34. And that quick turnaround happened because of Fitz playing out of his mind for most of the season. That roster was clearly not built to last. Macc has missed on too many round 2-4 picks, which gives us less cheap young talent to work with.

After 5 offseasons, the OL is ok at best, our top skill position player is an import, and the defense might finally have a pass rush. There seemed to be no plan to building the roster. Realistically, the best we can hope for this year is 9-7 if everything goes right and a shot at a WC spot. That's not the sign of a good GM IMO.

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

All of this stuff is nonsense. This GM firing is a way overreaction by the media types. With a quality QB and good health they will win enough to be a contender for a playoff spot. All of this will be forgotten if they win their first game.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Just hire the mountain as GM already [​IMG] [​IMG]

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hes too fired up to be the Jets GM

10. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Not true, Parcells is a tuna, I believe if the family Scombridae. He most certainly has gills and doesn’t not in fact breath air like Gase does.

11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Agree

Would love to know the truth
    He was a bad GM and I accept that

I was wrong

Let’s see if looney tunes can turn it around

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, really, now is the best time, vacuum or no. We often disagree, but I always felt that you're one of the more astute posters here so I'm surprised you don't see the logic in this. This gives the new guy ample time to come up to speed, learn the roster and CS, and put together a solid plan. It also gives him enough lead time to prepare for the next FA and draft seasons. Also, there's far less competition for the candidates. Finally, if reports are to be believed, Joe Douglas is the guy they want to hire and maybe the deal had to be done now, as opposed to later.

I agree that at first glance it seems strange to let Macc spend all that money and use the draft picks the way he wanted, but in the long run those are small prices to pay to get things right finally. And as I said in an earlier post, as far as the timing, it comes two years too late for my taste, but better late than never.

tomdeb likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

none of that is true and his overall drafting resume is above league average. it just stands out the bad picks he made espcially in the 2nd round (like hack and smith) and drafting back to back WRs in the 3rd and 4th that were both busts. so people just assume he sucks without looking at the big picture

14. GasedAndConfused

he wasn't given that either. he came with a bucket of money due to the idzik purge but ownership made him load up on over the hill vets for an instant turnaround and blew it all for 1 10-6 season (he did pull it off) until the wheels fell off in 2017 and then he was allowed to actually start a rebuild. most rebuilds take 4-5 years if not a little longer. the rams rebuild and les snead as a top GM and taking over a better spot, took 5 years for a turnaround and 6 to make the SB

as far as late round stuff what about shell, robby, herndon, to name a few. for the asfties adams is the best SS in the NFL and maye is an above average starter and as of now we have little depth. he solidified both safety positions for the next 5 years with those picks. i don't see that as negative

15. GasedAndConfused

that's what happens when you have a shit roster and need to rebuild. not to mention bad coaching. every rebuilding team sucks for at least 3-4 years and that 10-6 seaosn cost us a ton of space. plus we had some bad breaks in the process sadly to make things worse.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But it really wasn't a plan Westie. Not in the good sense at least. Macc's acquisitions showed no coherence. It was BPA All Day, Every Day. No sense for building the offense. And his best draft picks involved a lot of luck. Bottom line: after 5 years the team never made the playoffs, only finished once above .500 and that was his first year. Maybe his "plan" would've worked if he had 7 or 8 years to complete it, but that's completely unrealistic. Most GMs - who haven't won anything before - don't get 5 years to produce a playoff appearance. The plain truth is that Macc just wasn't good enough.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Gase and Bell have been in constant contact since the offseason program began and have been in touch for the last two days.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The worst time to fire Mac was never. The next worst time was now. The next worst time before that was January. Etc. The best time would have been when they hired him.

FJF likes this.
  19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

He’s 31/32 in drafting.

Literally only one team has drafted worse than him.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm not a huge fan of Mac..

However.

The only thing he willing ignored was really the OL. Even that though, he got Carpenter and Beachum. He drafted Shell. He's clearly botched the C position, but he did try with, Long. It didnt pan out.

He's found serviceable starters and a few studs.

Drafted a FQB and it wasn't because he fell into our laps either.

He has made good trades along the way too.

He was upgradable but he certainly didn't suck and by far from the worst we've had.

You cant juat nitpick the bad and completely ignore the good he did too.

It's just another biased opinion at that point.