Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So your contention is Mac interviewed for the job evaluated our 4 and 12 season and came up with a plan to win now because he knew they wanted to win immediately and against his best judgement sold it to ownership to get the job? Or after he takes the job and has a contract he deviates from his rebuilding plan to satisfy the owners against his better judgement? Or he actually believed in his plan to win now and since the owners wanted it he forgo the rebuild the right way?

He put together a team of aging vets coming off a 4 and 12 year and bought enough lightening in a bottle to fall short of making the playoffs. It set the team rebuild back. I'm not sure how that gets him off the hook?

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ajayi has health issues and maybe he didn't buy into Gase's philosophy/system.

In terms of Drake, maybe he can't or won't pick up blitzers. Maybe he has a fumbling problem. There could be a very good reason why Gase went with Gore over Drake. It's easy for us to sit back and take pot shots at HCs, and I've done it a lot myself in the past, but I think we need to know the reasons why those decisions were made. Then we can rightfully criticize.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Drake does seem to fumble at very inopportune moments. He's not a back that will get 300+ touches. He's like Powell in a way.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

There's no way that Breer or any of these national guys have better sources than Manish, Cimini, or Costello. That's not to say that they didn't get lucky or get a forunate leak on the Gase vs. MM situation. But clearly, the Jets hierarchy went out of their way to lie and provide disinformation to the writers/reporters that were local and most read and most important.

Breer writes:

"....The coaches ranked Quinnen Williams above Houston DT Ed Oliver, but gushed over Oliver in meetings. This was seen, again, as coaches covering themselves on both ends of a decision, this time openly lusting for one player while toeing the line on the league-wide consensus that the other was better."

That isn't telling me anything: they LIKED QW better but gushed over Oliver -- so what? Gushing and all, they still liked QW better. This tells me that maybe the coaches wanted it both ways, to choose Williams but in the unlikely event that Oliver is better they get to tell Chris Johnson in 2021, "see, we told you that Oliver was better."

Breer acknowledges this.

I see nothing of substance in his report and the guys who were right on the Gase vs. MM problems -- Lombardi, Pauline, and 1 other guy -- have given NO DETAILS so they were merely the beneficiaries of some fortunate leaks.

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

It shows that MM did what his coach asked, he got his #1 target even at a 25% premium.

Some gratitude.....

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m with you, this can’t be about this offseason. I think it’s more likely Gase has been in CJs ear since day one jockeying for this position.
    Wouldn’t doubt that Gase took the job thinking max can be weeded out quickly

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't know what Mac said in his job interview and neither do you.

But are you contending that the brothers dumb didn't want a win now team?

Also out of interest did you enjoy the 10-6 season, you keep calling it a fail, ie Mac failed to make the playoffs in his tenure what a huge failure etc etc, you have said this a few times in differing ways but I thought most Jets loved the 10-6 season while it was ongoing, well right up to the part were Fitz bottled it and fucked us over any sort of competent performance from him and we would have been 11-5, as ever it is small margins.

Did you expect him to go into a meeting with the cunts and say we now need to jettison these players that just failed to get in the playoffs and start rebuilding and when told no by head chief johndumb woody, did you then expect him to quit out of principle because he really believed a rebuild was needed?

You have said plenty of times that you think he should have been able to persuade those dumb fucks into doing all kinds of things and because he couldn't that also made him a useless GM lol

That is quite unbelievable tbh.

9. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. When you have a potential FQB, you have to protect him and build around him. Continuing to focus on D doesn't do that. One of the bits of news that has come out is that other teams were frustrated in trying to deal with Mac in trades because he was so slow and indecisive. I'd be willing to bet that he got good and reasonable offers to trade down in the draft and waited too long. Even if not, he could have made additional moves in FA to bolster the OL. At a minimum, he could have upgraded the depth more than he did. Mac has definitely focused on D. In spite of the fact that the D was better than the offense when he was hired, he continued to use his 1st round picks and FA $s first and foremost on the D. The offense was always a 2nd thought except for last season when he was desperate and had to get a QB.

Heading into a new offseason with a new HC who is offensively oriented and who didn't want an expensive RB, Mac shouldn't have even considered signing Bell. He could have signed a cheaper RB like Mark Ingram or drafted a RB. With the money he used on Bell, he could have signed another WR, an OG, a RT, a C, or even a #2 CB. Even if he was determined to sign Bell, he should have made it clear that they were trying to change the culture here and that Bell needed to be here for voluntary workouts getting to know his new teammates, and being a leader. If Bell refused, then Mac shouldn't have signed him.

How many DL has Mac drafted with his #1 pick? With the Jets needing an edge rusher, with the Jets unhappiness with Lee, and with Allen's abilities in coverage. Josh Allen should have been the pick if Mac didn't trade down.

#649 NCJetsfan, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! I think you need to switch to decaf. Take it easy, you'll be okay.

11. NCJetsfan

I guess it depends upon what you mean by "do better." Over the last 3 seasons the Dolphins went 10-6 and into the playoffs, 6-10, and 7-9. The Jets went 5-11, 5-11, and 4-12. That says that Gase did better. During that span, Bowles went 0-6 vs the Patriots. During that same span, Gase went 2-4. That makes Gase better. Bowles was clueless, incapable of managing the game, the clock, timeouts, or making adjustments. Gase is better at all of those things, so I have to disagree with you regarding the bolded portions.

I also don't think that Mac was the worst GM ever or even remotely close to that, but that is no reason to not fire him. He wasn't nearly good enough. He focused too much on defense, basically ignored the OL and offense, missed on too many picks, seemed obsessed with BPA in the 1st round, and then made too many reaches in the following rounds, made too many head scratching moves, and was too darned indecisive and seemed to lack any sort of cohesive plan. He needed to go, and I know you agree with that point.

I understand your pessimism. It wouldn't surprise me if you wind up being right about all of the rest of your above post, but I'm going to hope that you aren't. If you are, we're all in for more misery and embarrassment.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Was he part of the Eagles team that won the Super Bowl? If so, sounds good to me.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick has 1 season as a winning QB. Zero in the 9 previous years before we signed him. Do you honestly think Mac thought that Ryan Fitzpatrick was going to make us a playoff team in 2015? If you do your blowing smoke up my ass and your flat out delusional. The fact that we won 10 games was great, it was a fucking miracle that had zero to do with Mac's plan. We were 10 and 6 because Fitz outplayed his metrics. Blaming Fitz for not making the playoffs while contending you enjoyed that 10 and 6 season is beyond absurd. We don't smell 10 and 6 without Fitz pulling games out of his ass, including 2 overtime wins and 2 wins by a FG.

You're making the argument that Fitz killed the season and Mac did a great job in winning now while ignoring that Mac signed Fitz.

37.5% of NFL teams make the playoffs. Bad teams get higher picks. Good teams have good players and have to jettison them for cap reasons every year. Bad teams with crappy players have cap room to add talent. If you can't make the playoffs in 3 years you're probably a mid pack or worse GM. If you can't do it in 4 or 5 years you absolutely should get shit canned.

The argument you can make with the Jets is the likelihood of hiring someone worse is better than the likelihood of hiring someone better. The idea that Mac has done a good job here is absurd. The contention that he built a playoff caliber team QB by Fitzpatrick that was sabotage by Fitzpatricks bad play is one of the craziest arguments I have ever herd. We won 10 games because Fitz played way above his head.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

and who is the GM up there? It really is about BB. The jets will not hire a football overseer. They will hire a comrade for Gase

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s been 24hour Gase has been the GM and we still haven’t signed a center! Fire this moron already!

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He was part of them, but he wasn't responsible for the 2016 draft.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Just move the team to LA and get it over with.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Is there any point talking to you?

You never seem to understand a word that is replied to you and just make up a whole load of shit and then add some more to suit whatever narrative you want in your replies, most of the above isn't even relevant to the conversations already posted, I was going to bold it up and reply one by one but fuck me I just don't care enough as it will just elicit further misconstrued replies.

This is the 4th or 5th time a conversation with you has just degenerated post after post until whatever was said in the first place has been twisted out of all context and is a million miles from what was intended.

I will answer one bit and will be leaving it at that.

Yet the bolded bit is what happened, he blew the final game, that is a fact, also a fact is that the majority of fans will have enjoyed the season, how is that absurd and as for him having a career year to make it happen, then yes that is also a fact, still doesn't make it untrue that he blew the last game.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

At this point i care less about who they get as long as they move quickly. The longer this goes the more inept it looks

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’d argue the opposite. Although I personally feel a whole lot better if they hire him ASAP because that will have meant the deal was in place before yesterday and explains the timing.

HomeoftheJets likes this.