Reason We Passed On Mike Rhule

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, May 15, 2019.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I have come around to the idea of Gase as HC, I support him and genuinely believe he can succeed here.

However, I did like other candidates better at the time, Monken chiefly but also Mike Rhule. Recent developments have lead to further inconsitentcies of ownership and the process used in hiring a HC. The reason given for passing on Rhule was that they wanted to assemble his staff for him limiting his power as HC to directly coaching, and when he refused the offer was withdrawn.

Yet, Gase was able to assemble his staff and was given say on the Gregg Williams hiring, and now he has been granted the position of GM two weeks into May.

But we pass on Rhule who it would seem was their first choice because he wanted his own staff?..

The Job that the Johnson's have been doing for years just seems like they're just sorta wingin it in there, like there's no one in the room that has a clue or a voice. I feel like its just getting worse as there are less long tenured FO guys. My God they brought in the talking head Charlie Casserly to advise them on the Mac hire. That's like asking a used car salesman about the stock market because he's wearing a sports jacket.

#1 DarrelleRevis.Human?, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    egelband, CBG and VegasMav like this.
  2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Sorta wingin it?

They have no idea what they're doing.

MacCagnan should've been fired the same day Bowels got fired.

HOW does Gase end up being a all powerful football czar here?

The Jets are a laughingstock right now.

A Jim Harbaugh deserves this type of title & power Adam Gase has done nothing to have this kind of authority here.

rockyusmc2003, CBG, themorey and 2 others like this.
  3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Sadly

This is likely correct

CBG likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Being a member of The Dark Side for a long time, it's disorienting to find myself looking at the "bright side": I think Chris had been holding off on questioning Macc for a long time because Macc was Woody's pick, and that was the result of paying Casserly as a consultant, and who WAS considered a strong football mind. I think that Chris held this view even when they were looking for Bowles's replacement, and that he was hoping against hope that he didn't have to fire Macc too at that point. But the "lightbulb" began to glow with that whole process, and then grew brighter as Macc failed to address big holes in FA and the draft again. That there was in-fighting between Macc and Heimerdinger was probably the final straw.

It's taken a long time, but I think Chris is finally figuring it out. How's that for a Bright Sider?

egelband, Harpua, twown and 3 others like this.
  5. 100% agree though i do think MACs errors this offseason will not sidetrack the franchise all that mich & the roster is still well positioned for true ascension over the nexf 2 seasons.

If you havent heard it yet give CJ’s presser a listen. I understand how ridiculous that last sentence sounds given thejohnsons track record & typical act..but i think your theory of him “seeing the light” may actually be true. I honestly cant understand why the media is poo pooing it.He basically hinted at everything wrong w Mac weve suspected over the last few years & actually seems to realize what the team needs in a GM

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Rhule has exactly one year's experience in the NFL as an assistant OL coach with the Giants. The Jets doubted that he would be able to put together a suitable staff and I think they were right. They didn't need a college HC with little NFL experience bringing with him his college assistants who had no experience in the NFL. IMO not hiring Rhule was absolutely the right move. I never thought he was that great a candidate anyway, and first and foremost, I wanted a candidate who had head coaching experience. Still, I would have hired Todd Monken over Rhule, even though he has only 2-3 years experience as a HC and that was at Southern Mississippi, but he has a ton of experience in the NFL.

#6 NCJetsfan, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

The reason we passed on all?

The real reason?

Do you want to know?

Because Peyton Fucking manning called Chris to vouch for Gase

That it

Horrible
    Just horrible

Mic dropped

CBG likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Honestly, it is as if Chris was actually reading the posts here. Yeah, yeah, I know, ridiculous, right? But it seems like more than coincidence that the things he hinted at in his presser were a lot like the "charges" we leveled at Macc here. In any case, we weren't wrong about Macc. Too bad it took so long for Chris to catch on, but I'm thrilled that he finally did.

What I really don't get is how diehard the support for Macc remained in spite of his mediocre-at-best record. All the words and posts that tried to convince people that he was really much better than he was, and yet all of that could be dismissed with that famous Parcell's quote: "You are what your record says you are". Really, it's that simple. The Johnsons gave Macc every opportunity to succeed - far beyond what other owners would've done - and yet what was his record? So it's amazing that all these Macc supporters were so blindsided! And you would think that Chris slept with their wives or girlfriends - or maybe had a threesome with Gase there too! Too funny!

I'll say this...I may not be an expert, nor have any in-depth knowledge or inside sources, but having watched, participated, and coached sports (though not football) for years, and having watched the Jets for 55+ years, you pick up some feel for how things should work. That's what age and experience give you, something disdained by the likes of johnnyd and a few others here. What they miss is that for all their supposed expertise, they get lost in the trees and can't see the forest. I know pointing this out won't change them, but it's nice to know that being "old fart" has its advantages.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gonna go grammar troll here and point out the guy's name is Matt Rhule.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This will have no impact on the season unless Gase makes some crazy trades in the meantime. None of the team could give too shits about coffee man being shown the exit.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I was a Mac supporter and I think the ineptitude of Bowles kinda gave Macc a reprieve... unfortunately, he showed he really was as inept as Bowles was. There's no time for half stepping or being unsure in the moves you make. You gotta be headfast and strong and be on point in all aspects of a GM.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

DRH ,this is EXACTLY how I feel. They passed on guys who IMO were better choices than Gase and look what we have now.

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I am absolutely terrible with names, especially men's names, unless it's something really unique. Mark, Mike, Bob, Steve, it's all the same to me. So, how's it goin' Rob? It doesn't matter if your name really is Rob, I'm just gonna call you Joe, anyway.

So as to the topic at hand, The Brothers Idiot are fckn idiots. Look no further, this incredible insight and in-depth analysis is all we need. One of the main reasons I wanted Maccagnan gone with Bowles was because The Brothers Idiot were holding onto and following the same formula that hadn't worked before. Well, let's see now, this shit don't work, so let's just keep doing it. Idiots. Why these morons persist in thinking they know how to run a football franchise is amazing to me. If they had any brains they would just sit back and collect interest on the ownership of the team instead of sticking their greasy meddling fingers into something that they have no acumen for.

So while I don't necessarily disagree with the firing, the timing is impeccable. Meaning it isn't. Even if there's someone viable out there at this point who the fck would want to come here feeling like the Sword of Damocles was hanging over their head? And, if Gase has no say in it, they're just doing the same thing all over again.

Just get a real President/Director of Football Ops at this point and kick Neil Glatt in his ass. He's absolutely useless. The Fan Experience, that's what this guy is for? It makes my eyes bleed when I read his job responsibilities next to his job title:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/front-office-roster/neil-glat

OK, time to prank the Jets and tell them that MetLife is a dump and hang up. I'll purposely use my home phone because that's the number that they still have on file and they'll know it's me. It's not like I've done that before or anything.

14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Can't believe anyone would prefer Mike Rhule over Alan Gase :rolleyes:

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

CC , I agree with many of your posts but I think it is so much simpler than what you wrote as you are giving Chris far too much credit. The reason this happened yesterday = because BOTH Johnson brothers do not have an idea, or a plan or a clue , sadly they are in WAY OVER THEIR HEADS. There is no light at the end of this tunnel, come back over here into the dark Contrail.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The majority of the first time head coaches, typically do not bring in their own guys. Packers HC, didn't bring in his guys, nor did the Browns. Why should the Jets be any different?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It wasn't that he was unable to choose his own staff. It was that the staff he chose was garbage. They liked Gase's plan better and went with him. I agree the team is a joke again, but it's not because of passing on Rhule. I didn't want a bunch of unproven college coaches at the important positions either.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I see, so they passed on their #1 choice at HC so they could get the offensive genius of Dowell Loggains as OC?

I'm not saying Rhule is the sole reason behind why they are such an inept group, just another brick in that foundation.

19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

we have a "why we passed on Mike Rhule thread"

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Who says he was their #1 choice? Loggains won't be calling the plays on offense, so he's not as important as getting a quality DC in the building. Passing on Rhule was one of the things the Jets actually did right, IMO.