Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He is credited in having major input in assembling the Eagles team that went to the SB a couple of years ago.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We can have a press conference for his hair piece.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Only 5 starters in four drafts equaling 28 total draft picks! None of the backup/special team members pop out at you either. 2015 was a terrible draft and I mean on par with Idzik's draft the year prior in 2014. Think about how atrocious that is. Back to back drafts 19 picks in all and only 2 players out of those drafts are currently on the roster. Granted Mac was only responsible for one of those but you have to do better than that.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Same hand on the tiller, just a longer arm from its UK base.

Do you really believe he isn't still running the show and allowing his brother to do what he wants until he takes charge after you finally blow Trump out?

stinkyB likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Manish lies and makes shit up. Even if true, Johnson could have changed his mind with further reflection.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are you just basing this 5 starters business on what is highlighted in the graphic, an injured starter is still a damned starter when fit, it is a lazy narrative to suggest there are less than 8/9 starters in those drafts.

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Most fans on this board and talk show types have called for the club to fire Mac. more than once. Now it's a disaster? The draft went fine and the team can have a new GM. can be in place in a short time. Now we can all call for firing the coach before they even play a game.
    I'm sure the players coundn't care less who is the GM.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I've let a few hours go by before coming on here to comment. Initial impressions, I've been unimpressed by Macc for a few years now and I thought he and Bowles should have never gotten a chance to coach/develop Sam and co. in his rookie season.

I'm not upset they fired Macc, I just don't get the timing. It gives off the impression that the jets are dysfunctional, but the Eagles and Chiefs did the same thing and both teams upgraded.

Sometimes unpopular or initially head scratching decisions turn out to be good ones. The key here is to hire someone who will be an upgrade in scouting talent in the later rounds of drafts, while also having a good relationship with Gase (who is obviously a bit of a headcase).

9. NCJetsfan

I don't. In terms of giving your GM sufficient time to get settled/organized and plan for the next FA and draft, this is the right time. In terms of making changes in the scouting dept., this is the right time, as scout contracts expire following the draft, and this is the time to hire new scouts and re-organize before the college football season begins. GMs who get hired in January have little time to get settled, much less plan for FA and the draft, and they're stuck using their predecessor's scouting dept., and there could be major philosophical differences in how they evaluate players.

In addition, if you were unhappy with the job he did in FA and/or the draft, or if there are problems between the new HC and he, this is the time. It would make no sense to wait and let things fester, or let that GM continue to make mistakes/bad decisions. For all we know, Chris Johnson could have told Mac to rebuild the OL this offseason and Mac could have pretty much ignored him with the exception of trading for Osemele and drafting Edoga.

10. NCJetsfan

If true, I agree with Gase on that. I said all along that Bell wasn't necessary. I'd rather the Jets have signed Morse or Paradis and a #2 CB instead of Bell.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I appreciate your position. The problem is it's based on linear thinking and logic. You really have to suspend that kind of thinking. This is the Jets. Ass backwards is absolutely the right move with this ownership.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm happy Mac is gone. But he should have been fired in December. Firing him now means CJ and Gase are in charge and the new GM has to want to work with them. If there's a plan involving Joe Douglas taking over, and CJ knew all along that was the plan, then I'm cool with it. But nothing those two have done to this point inspires that confidence in me. This could easily be another Idzik situation.

13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Makes me think the draft really did not unfold the way Mac and Gase had discussed/planned.

The plan probably was to trade down, get some much needed Oline help, target the 2nd round WR that KC took...

You could tell there was tension as the draft unfolded with Mac sitting all alone...

Fingers crossed for the future.

14. NCJetsfan

I couldn't possibly agree more! I can't believe all the "whining," gnashing of teeth, and "the sky is falling" rhetoric I'm seeing here today. Even worse, some of it is coming from posters who have talked about Mac's poor drafts, the poor overall talent level on the team, etc. Ironically, some of it is coming from posters who usually complain about others getting hysterical and claiming the sky is falling.

Even if Mac was fired today for the "wrong" reasons (whatever they may be), the timing is right.

#394 NCJetsfan, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
  15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

According to nfl network the only one who wanted to trade down was Mac. Everyone else wanted a defensive player thay could change their defense

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I'm not getting this knee jerk reaction by the press that the Jets are dysfunctional because they made this move. I mean I get the Manish and Serby reactions, but why is everyone else so up in arms? Did I miss something about Maccagnan? The general conception, at least around here, is that the clock was ticking on him, so if that's the case, why not do it now? I initially thought that he was canned because he had another lackluster draft and Gase convinced Johnson to let him go. Now I'm hearing that disagreements over Bell led to the split. I'm more inclined to believe that Gase's observation of Maccagnan in action is at the heart of this, especially since all these rumors started up immediately after the draft.

So are the Jets better off if they let Maccaggnan and Gase work together for a year and then see what happens. That has 4-12 written all over it.

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

holee fuck the jets are a giant cluster fuck....with some talent!!

well we could always hire a search committee because of the peculiar timing....

oh wait!! LOL

FlaJet likes this.
  18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

We’ve been down this road before. Haven’t seen a DT change a defense, so maybe we didn’t take the guy they wanted. Aaron Donald for as good as he is had no sacks and 9 total tackles in 3 playoff games this past year...

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Not necessarily. It sounds like it was a long-term, ongoing feud. Both participants must have said and done things, and Chris Johnson may have warned both of them to knock it off. Alternatively, maybe Heimerdinger was the instigator and the major source of the dissent, but maybe Mac was on thin ice anyway, and then he responded or retaliated in some fashion and so Chris thought that both needed to go.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Macs firing but the timing was bad. Should have gone with Bowles. No way should he have been allowed to spend $120 million in free agency and oversee the draft.
    For those defending the timing, look at the reality. We will now have another arranged marriage between a GM and HC, on top of a potentially volatile arranged marriage between the HC and GM.
    The players who were brought in this off season, now have to report to a HC who they know did not want them, and who has a history of misusing and dumping talent he doesn't like.
    Is Joe Douglas the answer? Don't know. He was involved with the Eagles 2017 draft, but most of the Super Bowl winning roster was in place prior to his hiring by the Eagles, after the 2016 free agency period and draft.
    His one year with Gase in Chicago resulted in a horrific draft. Especially the offensive players taken. How much input did he have? I don't have a clue...
    This franchise has no direction, and until the fan base hits Woody and Chris in the wallet forcing them to sell. I can't see things changing.