Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I expect picks to be made based on talent, need, system fit, work ethic, etc.....

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why let him linger on in the job? Perhaps they gave him one last chance to address the OL in a serious fashion and he failed, so that was it. It may even be a little late, but scout contracts end following the draft. Now the Jets can hire someone, and hopefully he can hire some new scouts now and make whatever changes are needed before the football season begins. The new GM will have 6 months or more to evaluate the team, get established/settled/organized and plan for FA and the draft next year. It's definitely a better time than January imo, as then the new GM only has a few months to do all that and usually has to use his predecessor's scouts and scouting dept.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That's all part of establishing BPA, but less emphasis on need in round 1 especially.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It looks like Johnson is about to pair a GM with a HC on the same length of contract. He's fixing the mistake. He might be doing it ass backwards but at least he's doing it.

5. NCJetsfan

I would think that it would depend on the job Gase does. If Sam is developing nicely and the team plays smart, tough football and they win 8-9 games, then he retains Gase. If Sam struggles and/or the team doesn't do well on the field, then he cuts bait with Gase (if the Johnsons give him that leeway).

6. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

haha, we'll see! I'm fully prepared for them to introduce Charlie Casserly at this point.

7. NCJetsfan

I think Cutler also had his best year under Gase.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd be ok with that.

I'd be ok with that as well, but as Director of Football Ops overseeing both HC and GM.

Fire Gase..

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I agree that's what would happen at the end of the year. However, why would anyone of value take this job knowing they're stuck with Gase for a year.

If I recall, thats how the Jets got Idzik. A bunch of candidates didnt want to be stuck with Rex.

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He is the mistake, the only way he can correct that, is by selling the team.

That wont happen.

They haven't fixed shit, for years now.

There most certainly isn't any reason to believe he is fixing shit at this point. Just smearing the shit around more is all.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Luke and Deion can play in any scheme too. Both are sure tacklers that can shed blocks and make tackles. They just cover ground better.

I am happy we have Mosley, but I have to agree the price tag is very high. Hopefully he helps change this team around and continues to play at an elite level.

12. NCJetsfan

Spot on! Good post.

13. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree.

14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He did, with Bates as his QB coach. Remember that was one of Bates claims to fame here.

15. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Christopher Johnson: "This isn't a decision I could make at the end of the season." He said by "diving deeper" into the organization during the offseason, he realized a change needed to be made.

So even though he was around all year last year, he needed to dive deeper? Letting Mac spend $100 million/run draft is the equivalent of letting Bowles provide the defensive schemes for the upcoming 3 seasons.

This is why a football guy needs to be in charge and not these dolts.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It will be hard to complain about a Joe Douglas GM and Daniel Jeremiah head of scouting combo.

PabloJa and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I can't believe the way that you're responding.

You fire the guy if you don't like the way he spent the $100 million and his draft. You don't let him continue on in his job continuing to make bad decisions. You fire him now, hire his replacement, and his replacement has 6-9 months to get organized, evaluate the team, make changes in the scouting dept. if need be, and better prepare for the 2020 FA period and the draft.

The Johnsons are morons, but I have to think this firing is either a result of Mac not addressing the OL or offense significantly enough in FA and the draft or the stories about a falling out between Gase and Mac are true. In either case, if Mac was already on the hot seat, then it makes sense that he should be the one to go. Scouts' contracts expire after the draft. Unless they all have already re-upped with their old team or signed with a new team, this is the time to overhaul a scouting dept. so that they work together through the upcoming football season. It's never good when you hire a new GM in January and he has to use his predecessor's scouts.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Translation: I meddled.

Oh fuck off.

stinkyB likes this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I can’t wait till we make the playoffs and mind fuck this whole fan base.

20. NCJetsfan

I disagree. None of us know why he was fired. Also, unless I'm mistaken, Mac didn't hire Gase. He was part of the decision making process, but Chris Johnson was also involved. Heimerdinger was also fired, so there must have been real dissatisfaction with the level of talent on the team and with the moves that Mac made in FA and the draft. If so, I would think that both Gase and G. Williams had some significant input into that, not just Gase.

ColoradoContrails likes this.