Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

At the end of the season failed GM, like Mac will be fired. There will be 4 to 8 NFL teams looking to hire a GM from the pool of failed fired GM's and all the staff for ever NFL team. Right now we have no competition. Our incompetent owners can't hire a failed GM who was canned. They can get any teams executives who wants a promotion. By reducing the pool of abject failures and reducing the competition for an up and coming executive, we have a chance to get lucky.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Didn't he taken a fair number of DL during his tenure? Leo, Quinnen, Shepherd, and Fatukasi come to mind. I totally agree about the OL not getting enough attention.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is poor logic though.

You can't say the GM wasn't a lame duck GM, then continue to put a ultimatum on the situation in relation to his job. That is literally a lame duck, the writing was on the wall in that case, and it is very debatable to suggest he didn't have a good offseason. Considering to most people, including fans, the team is far better off now than a year ago.

We will be a season ahead? No, we wont. Considering we just allowed the GM that we just fired continue HIS direction for this team, instead of the direction of whatever GM we bring in next. We are already a year behind, no matter how you look at it.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

My mistake. I thought you meant compensation instead of competition.

5. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

It was his OWN choosing not to start the rebuild in Year 1, that's part of the problem, and that IS on HIM.
    Yes he spent a ton of $$ in FA (sound familiar?), and they had some success....but it was Fool's Gold...

The bottom line is he inherited a 4-12 team..... REBUILD started the SECOND he became GM of the NYJ... how do you not understand this??

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He wasn't a lame duck GM. He likely had the best offseason he will ever have.

By direction in the draft he supposedly took the BPA. Guess what BPA is always available. You don't need a GM for that.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree this makes sense.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Where is Death-By-Jets when you need him???

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The new uniforms still look hideous.

Acad23 likes this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Supposedly the jets were content to take she 3 pick and go defense. Mac wanted to traded back, everyone else wanted to use the pick. So it started there. I'm gonna assume Mac tried to do what he wanted

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Chris Simms, in the video below, claimed that Houston was on the verge of firing Maccagnan back in 2015 before Casserly recommended him to Jets ownership. Of course he could just be talking out of his ass but it is pretty interesting.

Jump to 8:00.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I remember when people who didn't want Gase here, citing an article that told a story about him fighting with the front office in Miami to sign a tight end instead of OL help, were just overreacting and needed to relax and let things play out.

14. First of all...all reports indicate this "Power struggle" narrative isn't even accurate. Heimerdinger & Mac sabotaged one another. Did Gase & Mac have disagreements? of course...al HC/S/personnel folks do. Would you have felt better of they fired Gase too? Based on the above..I guess?

Who was the hotshot Gm candidate everybody wanted this past offseason? I don't remember their being a no brainer??. GM candidates dont work like coaches. You don't win a bunch of games by elevating a unit you are coordinating & suddenly become the hot candidiate. These are typically behind the scenes Personnel types in top scout/Director of PP/College scouting. We have NO IDEA what their roles are within the FO, what key decisions they've made, what positions they evaluate well etc. And yet..SURPRISE...every season like clockwork...Hot shot GM candidates make their way to the surface. In fact... a draft/FA period just passed by. I'd be willing to bet there are some top scouts who had great offseasons who are just about ready to become PRIME CANDIDATES for this upcoming hiring cycle. And wouldn't ya know...The Jets are the one team looking to hire their new GM!

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sounds like they gave him one last draft (2019) to wake up, maybe look at OL, and he didn't. They may announce the firing as a rift between Mac and Gase, , but really this is about 5 piss poor drafts by Mcidiot and some terrible free agent moves (Fitz, revis, wilk). Glad he is gone!!!!!

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That is the problem.

We never heard of anything like this with Mac prior to Gase. Right?

Before Gase was hired, there were reports out the ass about this type of "rifts" happening in Miami.

You can point out the timeline all you want. I still maintain, this is a ownership fiasco and a downright embarrassment.

You hire a guy that has been reported on and fired because of these types of "rifts", then you allow that to escalate to the point of firing your GM who you just allowed to use up all those valuable resources for your team? That is fucking stupid.

It NEVER should have got to this point.

I am not defending Mac here. I am arguing the way in which this is being handled. The eerie similarities that are already unfolding with Gase at HC. The consistent stupidity that we constantly endure as fan, the circus that we've seen over and over, it all stems from incompetent owners who are clearly way in over their heads.

The writing is on the wall, I am a long game type of thinker man.

If you've kept up with it all, you kind put those pieces together, you start seeing where this thing is heading. It's obvious at this point.

It never should have got to this point. There never should've been a scenario in which this was the result. You anticipate these things and you take action to assure this isn't the result.

There is no pass here.

The writing is on the wall.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Makes total sense. Casserly's views have turned to dogshit in leaguewide circles in recent years and Mac was his dogshit understudy.

18. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Kiper, Francesa, Beningo, Jimmy Johnson.

Pretty much anyone that Chris Johnson has seen on television and doesn't have a contract with another team.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Considering Gase's fuck ups in Miami with their backfield, it should scare the shit out of everyone that he didn't want Bell. He's just not a good coach, that's all there is to it.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

McShay?