Jets since 2015...Macc really is a failure and should go if he fails again this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2019.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

let's just call it like it is. the johnson brothers hiring the coach and the gm is nuts.
    having each one of them being directly responsible and controlled by the owners is nuts.
    owner could/should hire football guy to be director of football operations.
    he hires gm or does it himself. gm hires coach. then you don't get two guys with different contract years and trying to undercut each other/blame game.
    if you hire a harbaugh or a hoodie, he gets full control and he hires his own gm or contracts guy. like gruden with the raiders.

the current setup just has a far higher probability of failure.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Im sure there have but The Johnsons are right up there with THE WORST of them

NCJetsfan, Jets81, barfolomew and 3 others like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's clear from how the Johnsons have set up the "hierarchy", with the GM and HC on equal levels both reporting to the owners, that neither brother has ever worked in or run a business. There has to be a "chain of command", where lines of responsibility are clear. With this set up nothing is clear - except dysfunction.

It would be one thing if the Johnsons - either one - were knowledgeable about football and had experience running a winning operation, in which case they could be the arbiter between the GM and HC, but of course they can't because they're ignorant.

Furthermore, whoever's idea it was to hire two Type-A personalities, one as HC and one as DC, and then dub them "co-Head Coaches" or whatever they're being called, is testimony to their stupidity. This has all the makings of a dysfunctional turf war, and instead of cooperating with each other, will wear their units out trying to "win practices".

I fear that the Jets won't become a winning franchise until the team is sold.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, in all fairness, the Johnsons don't appear to have been arrested, indicted, been suspended or forced to give up the team due to criminal or other anti-social behavior.

(Some here may take that as an invitation to set them up for something though.)

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

And why did Chris allow both to hire members from there family? :mad:

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes, I am not overly keen on these kinds of appointments, jobs for the boys, it is rarely about the talent they have to do the job.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

As a like minded masochist (Jet fan for 52 years) I know where your head is at. I watch what transpires and shake my head and wonder if I live long enough to see another championship. I have always subscribed to build the OL and DL 1st... remember when Michael's drafted Powell and Ward or when they drafted Kelco, Salama (spelling), Gast and Marty. Its difficult to stay positive when they draft people like Stephen Hill, hack, some of the lineman...

My moniker is SOJ for a reason... I hope for the best but frankly expect the worst. This year I am more hopeful because of the upgrade in the coaching staff. I really think they will make a significant difference but....

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why do I get the feeling that Parcells went to a Medium (Fortune Teller), gazed into a crystal ball and saw the Jets future.. Adios suckers!

stinkyB, ColoradoContrails and Jets81 like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think he needed a crystal ball. The Jets had lots of problems even during his tenure. He was able to get the most out of the talent he had - and I blame his for that mediocre talent level as well - but they weren't ever a model franchise and he knew that. Coupled with new owners who knew nothing about building a winning franchise, or even much about football, I think he decided it was time to leave and count his money.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think he ever intended to stay but 2-3 years. He knew that from the time he was hired that he had complete control and didn't really have to answer to the Johnsons. I think he thought he could turn the Jets into winners, add more laurels to his crown as perhaps the greatest football coach ever, perhaps win another SB, and ride off into the sunset.

I agree that for the most part that he was able to get the most out of the talent he had, with the exception for about 6 games after Vinny went down with the torn achilles in '99. By all accounts, Parcells went completely into a shell and just went through the motions during that period. Finally, he pulled his head out of his ass and almost got the team into the playoffs. If it hadn't been for a stupid half back pass call against the Lions, I think the Jets would have made the playoffs in '99.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Really? Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold, Quinnen Williams. The only one in that group bordering on bust is Darron Lee, but he did show big improvement last year and likely would fit well in a 4-3 system.

Macc's issue isn't 1st rounders, it's 2nd-4th rounders, but that trend has been improving with Marcus Maye and Chris Herndon. Tannenbaum was the one that drafted 1st round busts out the wazoo.

FJF likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lee is far from a bust though. he was the best player left in the draft for the 1st round when we grabbed him. it was a weak draft.

with that said the big issues people had with mac was a 2nd round flyer in hack, devin smith (unlucky break with injuries), hansen and stweart in the 3rd and 4th (both busts) but really ever GM has drafted busts or missed on a QB. he did get robby as an UDFA, peake in the 7th and an ace special teamer. jenkins was a steal in the 3rd, herndon was a steal in the 4th. maye was a great 2nd round pick. and he had to give up 3 2nds to get darnold. this year PFF rated edoga and cashman as the best value picks in the draft (cashman was rated 59th and taken in the 5th round and edoga ranked 64th and taken in the late 3rd) polite had 1/2nd round talent as well and slipped due to some odd stuff happening and could be a steal as well. his film is spectacular. i still don't get the whole mac sucks at drafting thing.

K'OB, Sam Hammer and cval like this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I agree that Lee isn't a bust, he's just hated by many fans because he took a couple years to develop. He was one of the top LBs in coverage last year. I just think Lee fits a little bit better in a 4-3, but I fully expect the Jets to play plenty of 4-3 fronts this year and think Greg Williams will get the most out of him.

I do agree that Macc isn't as bad as people make him out to be. His first couple drafts were rough outside of round 1, but he's been improving and has grabbed some UDFA/7th round talent that worked out. I find it really hard to be angry at Macc after getting the Jets their first legitimate franchise QB in decades and the value in this recent draft especially.

Arguably, he got the best player in the draft 3 years in a row now. Best QB in the best QB class in decades, 2 top safeties pro bowl caliber, Herndon, best DL in a top notch DL draft. 1st round talent with Polite in the 3rd. I just don't see why people are angry now of all times.

#153 Sam Hammer, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    GasedAndConfused, stinkyB and K'OB like this.
  14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yes the damn half back pass int

Ugg

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

When Darnold gets injured because Mac thought Harrison was good enough to start at C, tell us if you still can't understand why we're angry. When Darryl Roberts or one of the scrub CBs Mac has on the roster gets badly burned and we miss the playoffs tell us if you can't understand why we're angry. I don't get not being angry.

We had the cap space and the draft picks to address those huge holes and Mac just completely ignored them. He had great opportunity in FA to fill both holes and punted.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It was impossible to fill every hole this offseason, it’s completely unreasonable to expect that they would’ve.

I think Mac had hoped to address C and CB in the draft but it just didn’t work out that way. IMO the biggest mistake Mac made this offseason was not moving up the few spots in the 3rd to secure McGovern but it’s not like that would’ve automatically solved the C position if he had.

stinkyB likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It is not just 2nd-4th, Sam, it's 2nd-7th. Mac has not hit a home run on anyone past the 1st round. Even Maye and Herndon who you reference have not done much (average at best so far), they are just better than the rest of the wasted high picks like smith, mauldin, stewart, hansen, hackenberg, etc. Let's hope this year's class breaks the trend.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

When you say "it just didn't work out that way,'" that is another way of saying MacCagnan didn't draft/select a C or CB (earlier). Nothing mystical about this, the planets don't need to align properly. He did not trade down and get more picks from round 1. Later, Jordan was available in round four at C, but MacCagnan drafted ANOTHER TE (how many do we have???). He could have addressed C or CB in round five, but went for ANOTHER ILB. We already had Williamson, Mosely, Hewitt and Lee--good grief, how many ILB can you play? And we are supposedly transitioning to a 4-3? Ha! The biggest problem with the 2019 draft is that Mac knew or should have known the jets had SO many needs on the OL and CB and WR coming in, and a smart GM could have parlayed the 3rd overall into multi-picks to address the gaping holes. Instead, he takes Q. Williams, a great talent for a 4-3 defense, to play in the jets 3-4. He will just be another Leonard Williams, playing in a scheme which does not maximize his talent, while Darnold spends most of the year on his back (or on the injured list) after taking snaps from a guy who would be on most teams' practice squad.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jordan isn’t a center, he’s a low upside guard. Wesco is looked at as the best blocking TE in the draft and will be an extension of the OL, you clearly haven’t seen him play at all if you don’t think he will help with blocking. To answer your question we have one TE that can play, Wesco will be a clear upgrade to the 2nd TE spot as well as HB/FB.

As for Cashman, they had him rated as the best STs player in the draft with upside as a LB. can’t ask for much more than that as a 5th rd pick. Give me some names, who would you have drafted in the 5th rd that can come in and make an immediate impact at CB or C?

He obviously tried to trade back, judging from the Steelers moving into top 10 for practically nothing I’m pretty sure there weren’t any good offers to move to 3. Without a top QB teams were after it’s pretty rare for teams to trade into top 5, we all knew that going in but I’m sure you believe that Mac should’ve just traded down regardless of what was being offered?? Staying at 3, Q. Williams was a no brainer selection that helps fill a very big need.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Most businesses have about 10-20 pressing needs to get accomplished that will improve the bottom line within a 3 month period...look at this GM >>>only 3 bases to cover C CB and WR but completely blows it.

All he wants to make sure of is "did I get the BPA round one" that every pundit has crowned as if this is our sole long term solution for winning..its Lenny Williams redux with QW. Hope that DL becomes a Steel Curtain and creates problems for opponents Offenses is all we can hope for

No offense to other posters, but the homering/apathy over Macagnan is mind boggling