Darron Lee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, May 1, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

remember the time mark sanchez got suspended for PEDs? LMAO

but yeah i'll admit some of the suspensions for PEDs are kinda iffy. there are tons of banned substances and i understand how an NFL player could accidentally take something on the banned list but i guess they are responsible for what's in their body. I'm still not sure why weed is illegal in the NFL either. it doens't increase performance at all and is a good pain mediciton better then making them take vicaden and morhpine shots

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Yeah, lots of supplements and vitamins have banned substances that are not on the label. NFL sent a memo late last year about several supplements that had banned substances not on the label and recomending players check with the league about any supplement they are considering.
    Weed still has that Refer Madness stigma. It really should be legalized. But I think that still has a ways to go.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The term "Reefer Madness" has always cracked me up. I think there was a documentary film called that. I had a bunch of classmates that were heavy users, and I never saw any hint of any "madness." I did see a bunch of reefer-induced apathy. If anything, it ought to be called "Reefer Apathy."

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I didn't say Peds get a ban on 4th strike, I said substance abuse ie pot gets 3 chances and then out. It was in the article that said he was banned for substance abuse

"Being suspended under the NFL’s substance abuse policy — which is different from the league’s policy for performance-enhancing drugs — can be a complex process. But this is the bottom line, as it relates to Lee’s situation: In order to get a four-game suspension, a player must test positive at least three times. In some cases, more than three positive tests are required to trigger a four-game ban."

5. TonyFtLaud

Don't believe everything you read.
    The league has 2 policies.
    Poorly worded , which leads to confusion. Substance abuse which covers PEDS,HGH,Steriods, Adderall , and numerous banned supplements.
    The other is substances of abuse which covers recreational drugs, perscription drugs, OTC meds, Marijuana and alcohol.
    Marijuana has it's own standards under the substances of abuse policy.
    First strike gets you into the leagues program , random drug testing anytime but no suspension, second offense gets you 2 games, third offense gets 4 games, next strike gets you a year.
    Any of the other, Coke, perscription etc get a 4 game ban for 1st offense.
    So for Lee to get a 4 game ban for Marijuana, he would have already had a 2 game suspension for his second failed marijuana test.

6. TonyFtLaud

Correct.
    It was a documentary, and funny to watch now, but at the time created a very real fear which was the motive of the church group that created it.
    Seemed like it was made about crack or meth long before they existed.
    Murder, suicide..... Check out the trailer

Edit: Just Read a story on PFF that the XFL wants to avoid testing for Marijuana. And will only punish a player for a marijuana related arrest. And they have been pretty adamant about only signing high character players.

#86 TonyFtLaud, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You can smoke weed and be a high character person. Its not an outrageous rule.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if all of that is true, why is he being replaced?

the Jets have one of the best coverage inside linebackers in the whole NFL, okay, I'll try not to laugh and try to believe you and PFF.

Why then did they spend $85 million on C.J. Mosely? Why did they spend $22 million on Avery Williamson last offseason. Why draft another inside linebacker this year? Why didn't they pick up Lee's 5th year option? Seems like you would want to use that option IF you thought you had the best coverage linebacker in the NFL

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The NFL should do the same. I’ve been saying for years the league should just stop testing for it or ignore any positive results if the tests automatically check for it. No announcement to the media, just stop.

TonyFtLaud and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I wonder what that "sponsorship" check from Big Pharma looks like

All Gas No Shake, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

I'll repeat everything I said the last time you brought all this up:

-CJ Mosley is one of the best defensive players in the game. If you have the chance to get him, YOU GET HIM. Who cares who you have on the roster? He can replace almost any linebacker in the entire league, so that argument doesn't work at all.

-Williamson is a run stuffer, Lee is the coverage LB. They are complementary players. They are close to mutually exclusive in every way other than the little letters next to their name and number on the roster.

-They drafted a 5th round LB who projects to be a special teamer. You don't go into the 5th round saying "we are going to draft our next starting ILB". That's just not realistic. You're looking for depth at that point and if you get a starter, you had a great night.

-A 5th year option guarantees $10 mil next year. And here's what you are missing in all of this: he is a rotational guy. No one is claiming that he's some all-pro, do-it-all LB that can be on the field every down and anchor a defense. He's a FANTASTIC coverage LB that can spy in the backfield and provide pass coverage in certain packages. You don't pay rotational guys $10 mil, but you also don't cut them (for Neville god damn Hewitt especially) so the most logical thing to do is decline the option and keep him around.

Do you think it's weird that you're completely on an island here? Serious question.

Mogriffjr, K'OB and MoWilkBeast like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

stinkyB likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

So.... you want to argue that he's the best (or one of the best) coverage linebackers in the whole league but also note that he's not worth $10 million. That doesn't make any dammed sense.

IF he was that good, $10 mill is a steal in today's NFL for "one of the best coverage linebackers" .. or "FANTASTIC" as you note

14. BroadwayAaron

Find me a rotational ILB that makes over $10 mil if that price point is a "steal". I'll wait. And I'm gonna be waiting a while considering there are only FOUR ILB's total that make over $10 mil.

Edit: There are only 9 LBs in general that make over $10 mil.

#94 BroadwayAaron, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

so what is he? A rotational player or the best in the league, aka...FANTASTIC? how can you make 2 arguments at once

16. BroadwayAaron

A linebacker has multiple jobs. Lee is fantastic at one of them, literally rated one of the best in the league. Everyone but you seems to agree with it as well. It is highly possible to be the best in the league at something but also a rotational guy. You can be one of the best pass-blocking tight ends in the league and play half the offensive snaps. The concept aint foreign....

17. BrowningNagle

you've said this multiple times "everyone but you" seems to think he's the best in the league..yada yada yada.. but that's also completely false. A) I've yet to see anyone besides PFF and a few posters here make that claim (citing PFF only) and
    B) if it was true, hell Darron Lee would be traded easily by now.

Watch the damn games. on 3rd downs the opposing offenses single out Darron Lee. Instead of 11-on-11, they play a mini game and try to make it 1-on-1 against Darron Lee. They will run a player in motion away from him to make that happen. And it nearly always fuckin works no matter which team or which player they use to take advantage of him. The Jets defense was trash on 3rd downs because of that.

---

its insanity to call him the best in the league or fantastic or whatever. It's truly insane. PFF, nobody knows how they do their super secret rankings, but they are obviously flawed. In this case, I suspect Lee's fluky game in Detroit has thrown off their rankings. If a guy has 1 extra great game and 11 shitty games, you should not take the average and call him good.

statistical flukes need to be accounted for

CBG likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

I don't know how to respond to you when you're insisting that Lee isn't a very good in coverage. Just search the friggen guy's name on Google with the word "coverage" after it and watch all the articles come up that state the Jets should keep him because he's an asset in that area of the game and is the ideal "run and cover" nickel linebacker, a package Williams ran a TON last year in Cleveland.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He closed out the Colts game for us :mad::mad::mad:

20. TonyFtLaud

I believe that's one of the topics of discussion for the new CBA that will be agreed upon. Maybe one of the concessions on the part of the league to appease the players.