Playmaker Anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets28, Dec 10, 2006.

1. NYJets28

NYJets28 Member

The most telling statement made today by the commentary staff was the Jets lack of a player that could, "take the 5 yard dumpoff pass 75 yards for the touchdown." Now, I realize we are multiple players on both sides of the ball from being a true contender, but that statement really resonated with me. We really need a gamebreaker on offense, especially with a quarterback that does usually checkdown. Now, whether this is a reciever or running back, I don't know but we need a dynamic playmaker that genuinely puts fear into the defense. If any of you think that Cedric Houston, Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery, or Laveranues Coles falls under this category you really don't understand the idea of a "playmaker". Each of these aformentioned players has a role but they are not going to set the NFL on fire. To give you an example of what I'm talking about, watch the overtime from the Titans game when Vince Young single-handedly won the game with his skills. Feel free to comment about how we need defensive playmakers but an offensive gamebreaker would automatically better our defense as well.

P.S. - Is anyone else as sick as I am of watching a genuinely above-average back Willis McGahee look like the second coming of Jim Brown when he plays the Jets?

2. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Oh here we go...........

3. NYJets28

NYJets28 Member

I guess my point is...I would really like to draft a skill position player that can make some really big plays for us (Marshawn Lynch, etc...) and the players we currently have can complement this playmaker with whatever they bring to the table

4. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

It's funny how quick people will forget those huge gains by Cotchery and Coles after they disappear for game.

Also, how many players in the league are like Vince Young? The kid is a phenom.

5. KJet84

KJet84 Member

I actually agree with the initial statement, i cant remember a Jets player who was ever in the top 10 in total TDs for a season. We need a offensive weapon that gets touchdowns everytime we get close to the goalline. Look, i know there are limited players like LT, LJ, Shaun, etc, but i believe it is our turn to lock up a player like that. Even when Curtis was killin it for us, he never finished high in RB TDs nor did he break too many long runs. We need a gamebreaker and someone that the defense keys on but cant stop anyway. And even if the D can stop him, that leaves our other options open.

6. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

no apparently you dont understand the idea of a playmaker. its like you expect defenses to be scared of someone.. um no. unless your barry sanders. a playmaker is someone who can step up at anytime and help your team win. the men u listed are capable of that.

oh and PS: i do agree with you lol i know i just proved my point wrong. see sig vv i want lynch soo bad.

7. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

We cannot stop the freaking run, Defense wins games!!!

8. NYJets28

NYJets28 Member

Coles and Cotchery are good players and frankly I think they are a good #1/2 combo at WR although I would like to see more 30+ yard TD's out of them. I guess I would really like to have more of a "franchise" back that gets your standard 20+ carries and at least once every four games or so breaks a 40+ touchdown a la LaDanian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson. And yes, I realize these players aren't a dime-a-dozen but we haven't at all made getting a running back of this caliber a priority and I think this offseason should be the time

9. NYJets28

NYJets28 Member

If anyone is watching the Saints-Cowboys game...the dumpoff Bush pass for 50+ for a touchdown is what I'm referring to

10. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Reggie Bush! 61 yards on a screen pass, slips a tackle and cuts inside the 10 into the End Zone.

11. Welcome to J-Ville

Welcome to J-Ville New Member

There's something you dont realize. EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE LOOKS FOR THESE PLAYERS. It's not as easy as it sounds.. Besides, i think the talent of our skill players is adequate. Its the fact that we just dont show up to play every single week and this can be expected from a team with a young coach and young players.

12. NYJets28

NYJets28 Member

Here is our starting offense at the main skill positions:

QB - Chad Pennington (1st Round Pick - Production equivalent to draft position at best - Steady)
    HB - Cedric Houston (6th Round Pick - Pleasant surprise for draft position -Steady)
    WR - Laveranues Coles (3rd Round Pick - Pleasant surprise for draft position - Steady to Above Average)
    WR - Jerricho Cotchery (4th Round Pick - Great value for draft position - Steady)
    TE - Chris Baker (3rd Round Pick - Production equivalent to draft position at best - Steady to below average)

The fact of the matter is...we have spent no draft picks on trying to revamp the offense from the skill position perspective in quite awhile. It is time to do so. Even the mighty Patriots who pride themselves on succeeding with no-name players spent a first-round pick this year on Maroney (who has done rather well in my book). We need a game-breaking back asap.

13. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

honestly, the only big-play maker we have is justin miller...maybe we need to get him some offensive touches like deon sanders used to get...

14. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

1st round next year: Marshawn Lynch

If we can't get him in the first, then maybe Kenny Irons in the 2nd round. Lynch would really provide a spark into the offense, and become our "playmaker." He provides the threat to take it to the house every play, and is also good for the tough yards.

Size wise, he is 5-11, 215 lbs. His forty time is around 4.5 (Peterson's is 4.45, Micheal Bush is 4.5). He displays decent power and has a very quick first step. Moves well North/South as well as laterally.

15. BxJetFan

BxJetFan New Member

We will have a playmaker once Chad is not our qb. Hard to have a playmaker when we cant throw the ball deep

16. KJet84

KJet84 Member

Every team does look for this and most teams have atleast one...
    Cardinals- Fitz, Boldin, Edge
    Falcons- Vick, Dunn
    Baltimore- Heap
    Bills- Lee evans ( i wont write mcgahee cuz i hate him)
    Bengals- Chad, Housyourmama
    Panthers- Steve Smith
    Browns- Non here either
    Bears- Muhammed, Berrian
    Broncos- None here really
    Cowboys- TO, Glenn, Julius JOnes
    Texans- Andre Johnson
    Lions- Roy Williams
    Colts- Wayne, Harrison
    Packers- Driver
    Jags- Fred Taylor, Jones Drew
    Vikings- Chester Taylor
    Cheifs- LJ, Gonzales
    Saints- DO i need to write his name
    Fins- none here
    Giants- Tiki, Plax
    Pats- Maroney
    Eagles- Westbrook
    49ers- Gore
    Raiders- none here exepct washed up moss
    Seahawks- Alexander, DJack
    Steelers- Willie Parker
    Rams- Holt, Jackson
    Chargers- LT, Gates
    Bucs- Galloway
    Titans- Vince Young
    Skins- our own santana moss, portis

Us along with the Pats, Fins, Raiders, Broncos, and Browns have no offensive players that are better than anyone on this list ( maybe a coupel small exceptions). I agree a weak armed QB has a lot to do with it, but look at Brees. He has a weak arm and he might break Dan Marinos passing record.

The fact is, the Jets do not draft offensive skill positions high and this needs to chagne. We need a player that can consistently get more than few 40 yard players per season. All these teams have it or have atleast had it in the past, we havent in YEARS. Moss couldve been it, but we didnt use him correctly. Its time under BSchott that this changes. BRING IN PETERSON!!!

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I believe the Jets have a playmaker in Brad Smith, but they refuse to use him in any sort of downfield capacity, which makes absolutely no sense.

As to your list of "playmakers," many of them are on teams that get absolutely nothing done on offense.

The Jets do not need "playmakers." They need an every down running back, a tight end who can catch more than 25 balls, and a quarterback.

How many more disappointing seasons does Santana Moss have to have before people start to realize that he is a two-route receiver with durability issues? He's being paid roughly the same as Laveranues Coles this year and he won't even put up Jerricho Cotchery's numbers. Enough already.

-X-

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Nice Post Kjet84. Now if we get a Qb who can get the ball downfield to a playmaker if we ever get one we will be even better off. Since everyone wants to finish 8-8 or 9-7 this year we won't have a playmaker in 2007 either. They will be gone by the time we draft 18th!

19. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

20. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I want a consistant stock like LT, Larry Johnson or Reggie Bush. If we had somebody that could make a difference maybe that Weak armed Qb would have better stats.