Jets since 2015...Macc really is a failure and should go if he fails again this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Come on now/ I didn't start this one when I was drunk.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is hard to tell recently :p

FJF and Brook! like this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I agree. We’re not losing because of the good picks, we’re losing because of all of the bad ones. Hopefully this draft changes that. I also agree on Darnold, but we need to protect him. We can just rely on his other worldly ability to sense and adjust to pressure.

I expect a competitive team this season based on our free agent signings and Darnold having new weapons and a year of experience. I guess by beef is that had things gone better in prior years, we could expect more then a competitive team this season instead of hopefully next. Either way this year should be a hell of a ride.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure where the “wanting the team to fail” narrative came from but it certainly isn’t coming from the anti Mac contingent.

We all want the team to succeed, which is why we’re so passionate about our takes on Mac. I don’t think anyone wants go through another 4 win season. I’m personally hoping the team is competitive enough to be in the hunt late in the season. I want them to win the Super Bowl of course, but I just don’t see it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you can't make the playoffs in this league in 5 straight years, you're out.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I certainly don’t disagree with you there. I definitely have my concerns about the OL derailing what could be a promising season.

Only thing I will say in that regard is coaching, scheme and how the OL gels together is more important than individual talent and I do think the hiring of Frank Pollack was not only an underrated hiring but a very good one. Let’s hope!

I certainly don’t think reaching for an OL and passing on a far better talent would’ve been the answer though. If they traded down and picked OL while adding more picks, well that would’ve been my preference. Staying at 3 though, Williams was the right choice, really the only choice.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, Pollack was a good hire. With even average OL play we should be able to make some noise. Time will tell.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Let me try and put on my "glass half full" hat. With that on, I can see that what Macc has done in the past three drafts is to fill the FQB hole (finally!), and to strengthen the middle of the "D", while adding one of the most dynamic offensive skill guys in recent history, as well as an above average WR, and a former Pro Bowl G. In addition, best case scenario, the addition of Polite might finally fill the pass rusher hole, and the adding of Enoga and Wesco may really help the OL this year. Added to all that, replacing Bowles & Co. with an offensive-minded HC and a strong DC in Williams, and the rest of CS moves, coupled with a more favorable schedule, can all translate into a very good season - 9+ wins maybe. And finally, almost all the key pieces are young and can be the foundation for long term success.

There, I did it!

And I can see all of the above happening, and really hope that it does, but...

Having watched this team for over 5 decades I've seen "the best laid plans..." come to naught. HCs that were supposed to be great, weren't. Key players either didn't play up to their rep, or got hurt. Cheating - not just by the Cheatriots, but by Shula and the Phins in the Mud Bowl to name one infamous example. So that's what makes me pessimistic.

Aside from that, I really disagree on how Macc has gone about rebuilding this team, starting with not beginning the tear down his second year. Maybe the Johnsons ordered him not to, but he should've put up a loud fight about it. If he was any good he would've known that 2015 Jets had way outperformed their talent, and much of that was OTH already. He should've been able to convince Woody and Chris to start from scratch. That said, I'll cut him a little slack because after paying Mevis that huge payday, I'm sure Woody wanted his ROI and wasn't ready to call his move the big failure that it was.

But then drafting Hackenburg with his 2nd pick! OMG! This from a supposed experienced talent evaluator? I hoped it would work, I really did, but when Hack proved to be not even marginal but inept, that's when the sirens went off. Following that massive error, he compounded it by passing on Mahomes, what will become known as a franchise-altering mistake. With that error - again, wtf is his eye for talent??? - it forced him to burn three valuable draft picks the following year to make up for it. Meanwhile he was busy building up the defense - or trying to - by overloading on Safeties and DLs. Those three draft picks could've been used to upgrade the OL and skill positions or adding the long lost pass rusher. In short, the team could very easily be much farther along, and already positioned for a SB run.

For those tired of hearing me and others "bitch" about Macc, maybe you need to take a step back and consider the history of this franchise and why so many long term fans are doubtful of Macc. That said, if it all comes together this year and they make the playoffs, or even make it to the last game with a chance, then I'll be the first to admit that Macc should continue to do the job he was hired to do - until he fucks up again.:p

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but he should be shit canned for not doing more for the O-line just for that alone. Have you seen our secondary as well?

And I'll argue that our WRs are some of the least talented in the league.

10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

He's keeping the plan tight to the vest. :)

for OL he might be waiting for training camp cuts are further movement. Vikings and other teams drafted centers and might be willing to move pieces

new talent; weaker schedule we should win. I hope we win as many as possible but also hope we look at the situation seriously and honestly whether Macc is the guy to lead the organization

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I would assume because the majority of the offseason acquisitions are done at this point.

12. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

He traded up for Darnold! A franchise QB something no GM has done in 40 yrs! Adams Maye Williamson trade for big O on online crowder Mosley. He has constantly picked a kicker who has had great yrs for us. Williams on d line traded a 7th for Anderson. Le’Veon bell Richie Anderson Herndon Jenkins. I’d say he hasn’t been terrible he has missed on middle round picks and has ignored O line that i agree with. However a lot of the good talent we have now he went out and got. Anderson and Robbie he drafted and traded for. He has done some good things too. This yrs draft could be special only time will tell. Plus a lot of the time you draft what the coach wants you to have for his program and we know Bowles sucked as a head coach. Let’s see this yr what gave can do. If these draft picks don’t pan out fire him

The Dark Knight and Sam Hammer like this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The guy should have been shit canned with Bowels but sadly this ass clown is still here.

Acad23, JetsNation06, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I will fully understand people complaining about Macc if the Jets have another bad season. But complaining right now is beating a dead horse, it doesn't accomplish anything. The Jets are in the 3rd year of rebuild and in position to take a big step forward this year.

If that doesn't happen I'll fully be on board with firing Macc, but people are acting like he's already failed before training camp has even begun. Let's not forget that in all likelihood, he has drafted the first legit franchise QB the Jets have had in decades. Give it a chance. The last 3 drafts seem very good so far.

#134 Sam Hammer, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    TonyFtLaud, Ralebird and PulseJet like this.
  15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

& now Lee has bitten the dust:mad:

tomdeb likes this.
  16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I think he so disliked because most of his #1 have gone bust or soon will go bust :mad:

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In the history of the NFL have there been any more poorly managed Franchises since the Johnsons got hold of the Jets???

CBG and tomdeb like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agree with all your analysis. MacCagnan just does NOT see the whole picture of building a team. In addition to Hackenberg as you reference, look at his #1 pick right before Hack--Darron Lee. BUST. But look at his 2017 draft--FOUR, count em Four defensive backs in 1 draft! Who the hell would ever spend 4 draft picks in one draft on DBs when you have so many other needs? Dumb shit. He also took 3 receivers in that same draft, but ZERO offensive lineman and defensive linemen. I really don't think any other GM would be that stupid, and that is the correct word. Picking Stewart and Hansen (both out of the league in about a year) in rounds 3 and 4 that year was especially nonsensical . He does not get it. I do not see the jets EVER going very far under McCagnan-- until ownership gets its head out of its butt and understands this, the jets will always have a losing record. The offensive line this year is as bad or worse than ever. But we have an almost infinite number of QBs, DL, and TEs coming into camp. Good grief!

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d guess about half of them based on winning percentages.
    Probably less if we are going by playoff wins

Ralebird likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep, 5 years of putting the Cart ahead of the Horse

Mac is a bizarre GM is all I've got say

We can thank the Johnsons to have the Jets ranked behind the Browns in general management smh (with Dorsey maybe way behind lol)

Once the season starts I'll reiterate my belief>>>> all the winning will be on Gase and Company ...despite the moves of a desperate GM

tomdeb and JetsNation06 like this.