Our Draft Per Cimini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Apr 28, 2019.

1. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The Pats continue to win super bowls. Until they stop, you’re not going to see too many writers with the balls to go against BB.

Also while I don’t think the Pats are fantastic talent evaluators or drafters, the philosophy they go about with the draft (constantly getting more picks) is a great one + I wish the Jets tried to emulate.

It’s like throwing darts, the more you have the greater the odds of landing a bullseye.

NYJetsO12 and K'OB like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Forget the writers calling him a genius. Everyone here loves to point out how many missed picks Mac has, but lets look at Bellicheck over the past few years:

2015:

Malcom Brown - Started 14 games last year
    Jordan Richards - Now with Atlanta
    Genero Grissom - Cut
    Trey Flowers - Starter
    Tre' Jackson - Cut
    Shaq Mason - Started 14 games last year
    Joe Cardona - Not a starter
    Matthew Wells - Cut
    A.J. Derby - Now with Miami
    Darry Roberts - Now with Jets
    Xzavier Dickson - Cut

2016:

Cyrus Jones - Not a starter
    Joe Thuney - Played in 3 games last year
    Jacoby Brissett - Cut
    Vincent Valentine - Cut
    Malcom Mitchell - Cut
    Kamu Grugier-Hill - Now with Philly
    Elandon Roberts - Started 11 games last year
    Ted Karras - Started 2 games last year
    Devin Lucien - Cut

2017:

Derek Rivers - Played in 6 games last year
    Antonio Garcia - Now with Indy
    Deatrich Wise - Started 5 games last year
    Conor McDermott - Now with Buffalo

2018:

Isaiah Wynn - Has not played a snap
    Sony Michel - Starter (Obviously a stud)
    Duke Dawson - Has not played a snap
    Ja'Whaun Bentley - Started 2 games last year
    Christian Sam - Has not played a snap
    Braxton Berrios - Has not played a snap
    Danny Etling - Has not played a snap
    Keion Crossen - Has not started a game
    Ryan Izzo - Has not played a snap

So, in 4 years Belichick has drafted 33 players:

8 have been cut
    6 are with another team.
    1 is currently a starter.
    1 is currently a starter and a stud - Sony Michel.

LMFAO

Please enlighten me on how Mac has been so terrible in drafting?

Pags2112, BudJet and PulseJet like this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Now compare the number of Picks he's made to Mac. Beli is smart enough to know the draft is a risk and does his best to get extra picks every draft. Mac claims to want to build through the draft but often has less picks than he started with as draft day approaches. Beli also makes a habit of reloading a position before his guys contracts are up, allowing FAs to leave and getting a chance at being rewarded with comp picks. His ability to manage his assets properly is what makes "the patriot way" tick.

4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

And the other thing to point out is while Belichick is a mediocre drafter of talent, he is an exceptional coach. He usually gets the best out of his chosen players. Do we really think the former Jets coaching staff got the best performance out of players? You dont think Greg Williams isnt going to push Leonard Williams to step up his game?

5. Falco21

Wasn't my point.

My point was how piss poor Belichick is at drafting. Puts things in perspective

6. PulseJet

Belicheck doesnt need to package a bunch of picks to take a QB like the Jets did.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

OK. Call me a homer but Cimini didn't say much of anything on his assessment that couldn't apply to any pick from the third round down. I totally disagree with the Polite assessment. His body of work on the field where it counts is outstanding. The guy is a beast with an unbelievable first step. He had a poor showing at the combine and that to me was a blessing in disguise. I will bet the knowledgeable draft folks here can list a bunch of pro bowlers in the NFL with poor combine measurables. Workout heroes at the combine have been massive disappointment for us in the past (Gholston). Polite went from a first round draft to third on the strength of a poor combine (which i don't give a shit) and poor attitude at the interview. I think with good coaching this guy could be a force and an absolute steal. The TE pick is tailor made for our running game with Bell so he will be an immediate contributor. I give Mac a lot of credit for showing some cojones on some of these picks.
    Funny how some here shit all over Mac when he makes a safe pick ( like Williams) which will be a massive upgrade to strengthen a crappy defense against the run and the pass, (and something the Raiders would have jump all over), but when he rolls the dice with some one like Polite the response is "there were safer picks out there" Give me a break. Mac has made a bunch of mistakes, but he should be measured with a consistent yard stick, and recognized when he makes a damned good pick, safe or not.
    Giving any draft a grade is kind of silly, who knows how it will turn out, but on paper, this shocking and risky draft might turn out to be his best from an instant upgrade stand point. I for one sure hope so.

8. PulseJet

Your point was agreed. My complimentary point is Jets coaching has been poor. So Mac's picks may actually be better players if coached properly.

So the groceries might be top quality but the chefs cant cook.

You know Belicheck can cook.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Falco21

What's the difference if he has had 10 more picks than Mac, if in the past 4 years he's 2 for 33 in drafting a starter?

10. Falco21

Oh I get your point. Sorry, I read that wrong.

That's why in the other thread I posted that I think Mac saved his ass with this past draft and now it is up to Gase to coach the talent and get the wins.

K'OB and PulseJet like this.
  11. PulseJet

There are three guys who will see significant playing time this coming year. Williams, Polite and Wesco. If they play well, its been a good draft. But the problem is the teams real weakness (OL) didnt see an immediate upgrade. Mac needs to get creative. Maybe trade Lee for an experienced OL.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

This is silliness in it's highest manner since the guy U are trying to knock down only is the winner of 6 SBs vs the NYJs 0 in NFL :mad:

13. Falco21

No, it's silliness if I attack him as a Head Coach and his franchise as a losing one.

I was simply making a statement on a fact. He does not have a good history of draft picks in recent years. That's a fact. I am not saying he is a piss poor coach or that he does not find a way to win. I am simply stating that his record in drafts, as of recent, has been absolutely piss poor.

Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Pretty much every single prospect in the draft picked after round 2 comes with some kind of questions. Otherwise they would not be round 3 picks. LMAO at pandering to fans paranoia. I'd bet money that Polite starts.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes whatever his flaws maybe he is still a 6X winning SB coach to the NYJs 0 & if was your coach you would not care if every 1 of his draft picks flopped & still have 6 VLTs U would not care in the least now would U? Cmon find some other topic to lambast like the Johnson or Toddy ( our Joe Namath winner favorite) or his lackey he appointed to B his DC or Leo Williams a Busto or lee another busto or any other of our draft picks who became busts. :mad:

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Others, besides Cimini had alternative drafts, like this one:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/4/28/18520443/alternate-draft-2019

Round 1:
    My pick: Edge, Josh Allen, Kentucky
    Macc’s pick: IDL, Quinnen Williams, Alabama

Choosing between the best player and the draft and the player I think is best for us was horrible. In the end I sided with the pick that I believe has a better chance of being more productive despite not having the highest floor. That might not make much sense, but hear me out. The edge group has few elites and then gradually descends to the 2nd tier. In 2018, only 11 IDL players had more than 50 pressures. The edge group more than doubled that with 27. Only 6 IDL guys had 10 or more sacks. The Edge group had 21. For the positions they play, if they both do fall into the next tier, Allen is more likely to be productive than Q. A top 15 IDL is more likely to be a 45 pressure, 6 sack guy where a top 15 edge is more likely to be a 60 pressure, 11 sack guy.

Round 3:
    My pick: OT, Yodny Cajuste, West Virginia
    Macc’s pick: Edge, Jachai Polite, Florida

Cajuste is the kind of nasty tackle that would fit right in on this team of “dogs.” He is no stranger to playing through the whistle. Yodny has great arm length, and uses it well to shepard defenders around the arc. He shows good balance, footwork and strength to also be plus in the run game. He has 1st round talent, but there are rumblings that he is injury prone. His most recent was a torn quad. In the 3rd round, a talent like Cajuste’s is too good to pass up. Polite is one of my favorite edges in the class, but since I took Allen in the 1st, I decided to go with our future biggest need.

Round 3:
    My pick: WR, Hakeem Butler, Iowa State
    Macc’s pick: OT, Chuma Edoga, USC

I had a late 2nd round grade on Butler. He is a giant, imposing receiver that uses his size and length to shield off defenders easily. He’s a real bully, and would give Sam an alpha talent to toss it up to when in trouble. Butler does have some questionable hands, but will more often than not come down with the ball in contested situations. I like Edoga as a developmental guy, but with Cajuste in the loop Edoga would have been a little redundant.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

You can read the rest of his picks and rationale yourself, but I wanted to highlight the first three picks because by Macc taking another interior DL, it then forced him to take an Edge with his second pick, making his ability to get a good C or T nearly impossible. In this alternative draft, by taking Allen first, he gets the pass rusher we needed, and allowed him to also get another need with Cajuste. This then allowed him to fill another hole with a big time WR in Butler. That said, he could've also taken a good CB or a C.

By Macc following his BPA-Only philosophy, and believing in his ability to find "diamonds in the rough" (which so far he hasn't found very many), Macc put himself in a bind, as usual. If his reaches for Polite and Edoga in those prime spots don't turn out, this draft will be a major bust even if Q. Williams works out.

Macc is NOT the smartest guy in the room, even if hes in there alone.

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sure, he might start on a team desperate for a pass rusher, but would he start on a good team?

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He was fucking defending Mac's draft record with an example of a poor one, you have to read the whole thread and take things in context before leaping in.

He never slated Bellicheat for his coaching or rings.

Ralebird, Falco21 and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. Falco21

Again, you seem to be ignoring the meaning of my post and the comparison. But since you seem to require another explanation for the meaning of my post, I will supply it for you:

I AM IN NO WAY STATING THAT BELICHICK IS NOT A SUPER BOWL WINNING HEAD COACH. I AM NO WAY STATING THAT HE IS A PISS POOR COACH AND DOES NOT BELONG IN THE HALLF OF FAME FOR HIS AMAZING COACHING ABILITY.

(maybe in all caps you will understand? Maybe?...)

I AM SIMPLY POINTING OUT THAT BELICHICK HAS NOT HAD A VERY GOOD HISTORY OF EVALUATING TALENT IN THE DRAFTS AND HAS SWUNG AND MISSED ON NEARLY ALL OF HIS DRAFT PICKS IN THE PAST 4+ YEARS. BY THAT STANDARD, I AM POINTING OUT THAT MAC DOES NOT SEEM TO BE AS MUCH OF A PISS POOR DRAFTER AS MANY ON HERE CAN MAKE HIM OUT TO BE)

If that doesn't explain it, then I give up.

K'OB and Ralebird like this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you're in the SB every year and drafting in the lowest spots every year why would you have a lot of draft picks starting on your team? FYI Joe Thuney has 48 game starts in 3 years and played in 9 out of 9 playoff games including 3 consecutive SB. How many of the guys who are on the Pats contributed to their SB's? You left that out. An NFL roster has 53 players.

How many top 10 first round picks have the Pats had?