Rosen to the Dolphins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 26, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Announced on the TV broadcast. So it's Darnold, Allen, and Rosen all in the AFC East. Here's the tweet.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The AFC East has the chance to be a very good division in about 2 years

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

This makes for an interesting AFC EAST QB rivals. Which QB will take their team to the top of the AFC East.

#3 BudJet, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  4. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

And after 2 years the dolphins and bill will still suck, Brady will be retired and we will run the show.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

My guess is Rosen sits for a year behind Fitz. The Fins are going to be garbage this year so let him sit and learn. Fitz could be a good mentor for him.

stinkyB likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sweet! Jets start the season for the next 10 years with 2 wins!!!

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

This is another organization that Mac should thank his lucky stars exists, otherwise he'd be getting the criticism that he deserves from the natioinal media.

What an embarassment the Cardinals have been throughout this entire process. If their ownership had any clue what they were doing, that GM would be out of a job. Hiring a guy like Kingsbury, who has no business coaching a major college team, let alone an NFL franchise, and then using consecutive first-rounders on QBs, and then only getting pennies on the dollar for one of those two guys in a trade (as well as giving the Dolphins a fifth rounder in the process). Pathetic.

But, this does make for an interesting AFC East. Three of the top QBs in last year's draft in the same division, with Brady as the other. Whichever team got the QB question right last year will be the team with the best chance to knock off the Pats once (if?) the dynasty begins to falter a bit.

8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think he starts rite away. He already has 1 year experience, why hold him back.

9. HomeoftheJets

If Murray becomes a top QB, none of that will matter.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I already didn't like this guy, so glad he went to Miami.

11. jets_fan

He won't. He's walking into the same situation that Rosen was last year, except with worse coaching than the team had a year ago. The Cardinals have moved backward in every way possible. I feel bad for Murray and the kid from Duke. They're both walking into situations that are going to severely stunt their careers. Neither of those franchises have any idea what they're doing at this point in time.

It's also not a good look for the franchise, regardless of whether it worked out, with regards to how they treated Rosen. Other players will likely take note of that as well.

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Will be fun to root against him and Allen. Fuck them both.

Freddy Mondo and abyzmul like this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Coach Bro will set the house to order.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Tank for Tua certainly doesn't look like a good strategy anymore. Between Fitzpatrick and Rosen it's hard to see how the Dolphins are going to finish last. It's a low risk - high reward move by the Dolphins and it's hard to hate on. If Rosen doesn't work out it's not the end of the world-- only cost a 2nd and you get a 5th back plus the Cardinals picked up his bonus.

Also agree with pretty much everyone that the Cardinals GM is a fool. I have never seen a situation mishandled this badly before.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

The Cardinals GM screwed up a lot of things, but I don't see the QB position as one of them. He drafted Rosen last year and ended up with the first pick this year. Then he concluded Murray is better than Rosen, an opinion a lot of people have, so he took Murray and traded Rosen. What should he have done, stuck with a QB he believes is worse? Unless you think he could've gotten more for Rosen if he traded him earlier, which may or may not be true.

Antoni likes this.
  16. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can determine that you don't like a QB based on one year behind the worst line in the league. The coach was replaced but this was the same GM who moved up 5 spots to #10 to take Rosen to begin with. I do believe he could have gotten way more for Rosen. He waited until the very last second when the Dolphins were the only team interested because everyone else already moved on.

To me this isn't solid general managing or sound decision making--it's just gambling. He gambled his career and reputation on the chance that Murray is going to be far superior to Rosen. Pretty much every result other than that one and his career is done. We will see in 3-4 years how this ends.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I said in another thread that I can understand them wanting to move on from Rosen if they truly believed that Murray was a major upgrade. Rosen was a sunk cost, and the worst thing you can do is refuse to make decisions because of a sunk cost. They saw him every day in practice, and they obviously didn't think his troubles were just because of a bad offensive line. They have clearly given the keys to the franchise to Kingsbury, which is the actual gamble. I can see Murray doing just fine (and better than Rosen) even though making Kingsbury the brains of the franchise turns out to be a disaster.

Where they screwed up is how they handled this. They obviously know they were taking Murray all along, and instead of playing coy they should have opened the bidding for Rosen in a very public way weeks ago. I have to think they could have gotten a lot more him than they ultimately did if they had done that.

Antoni, Biggs and K'OB like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It really hasn't anything to do with the franchise though has it?

They hired a new HC who like many other people who think Rosen is dog turd and he wanted a QB he thinks can be a superstar and the fact he has worked with Murray already would make it a no brainer for Kingsbury, it no reflection on the franchise but a situation rising from acquiring a new head coach, nobody would think anything of it if he dumped a 5 season pro that he didn't fancy and replaced him with somebody else, shit is no different just because he has dumped a rookie QB.

IMO of course :)

edit - like mentioned by some other posters, the trade-off was badly handled and they could have gotten more for him earlier, so in that respects the GM doesn't look overly clever.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Kingsbury got the job before Murray even declared for the NFL draft. The reason Kingsbury got the job is he came in prepared with a plan to put an entire O around Rosen. He basically sold both the President(owners son) and GM on building an O around Rosen. That's the reason he was hired.

FYI Rosen was the first guy in the building and last guy out during OTA's. Kingsbury has said unequivocally that he was extremely happy with Rosen. There is no doubt he loves Murray. He recruited him from high school and thinks he's a generational talent.

The Cardinals GM took a team one game from a SB to 3 consecutive none playoff including the worst record in the league. He got an extreme DUI last summer. He hired a head coach and he hired the O staff around him last year. He fired the O coordinator during the season and fired the entire staff after the season.

The Giants, Redskins, Dolphins, Pats and San Diego all called the Cardinals about Rosen's availability. The GM didn't ask any of them for a 1. He said he wasn't being traded. The GM started calling teams about trading for Rosen about when they went on the clock yesterday.

I will say based on what Gettleman did and the fact he might have gotten Rosen for a late 2 if he was patient shows what a terrible GM he is. If the only other GM in the League was Steve Kiem, he would look brilliant.

The other thing to remember about the Cardinals is they were successful when Bruce Arians fell into their lap. Arians retired to get out of his contract and is back coaching after 1 year. Arians was a very good coach and I'm sure their success was because of him.

Anyone writing off Rosen based on last year is nuts. That doesn't mean he's going to be good but he showed some flashes. He's still a great prospect and we might be seeing a lot of Rosen against Darnold for years. Hopefully this time we got Marino in Darnold.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  20. jets_fan

I think it goes beyond the new coaching staff and back to the ill-advised decision to fire Wilks and replace him with Kingsbury. Wilks had no chance to make that situation a success given the roster that he was handed. Firing coaches after one season is evidence that the GM didn't do his job in the hiring process. I can't remember which talking head has said it on one of the networks, but I agree, that owners should adopt an informal rule that if a GM fires a HC after one year, the owner should send the GM packing as well.

The Cardinals are going to be a train wreck for the foreseeable future. They've downgraded from a coach who knows his stuff in Wilks (although, of course, there was room for improvement; nobody comes in knowing everything about being a head coach after one season) to a guy who shouldn't even be running a mid-level college team.