Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sorry, yeah, the quote was from the Athletic, not the Atlantic but the OP seems to have pasted in here an article using that quote. So now, we're getting some unknown guy's characterization of a line from the Athletic as interpreted by Solid Gold Gase. Sources are important so I'd like to read the whole article this came from and probably the Athletic piece also.

BTW - who is Michael Lombardi and what is the Athletic?

Edited to add: A little googling answered my questions and I see it's a subscription based grouping of local content sports writing and does use some well respected guys. Lombardi was an assistant on the Patriots coaching staff until 2016 and has done some media and writing. So, there is a certain level of professionalism apparent but getting third hand interpretation of information without the benefit of seeing the original content is not the kind of material I prefer to base judgements on. If I'm not mistaken somewhere in the terms here are guidelines for posting non-original content; there's a reason for that.

#101 Ralebird, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He's a football writer, and the Athletic is a website that covers sports. Here's the Athletic article, but it's behind a paywall. https://theathletic.com/947760/2019/04/26/nfl-draft-2019-round-1-wrapup-daniel-jones-clelin-ferrell/ Here's a CBS article about the Athletic article. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ges-to-front-office-expected-after-the-draft/

The relevant quote from the Athletic article is:

"I hear that all is not well in New York Jets land about their scouting operation. General Manager Mike Maccagnan is on the hot seat internally, and many in the league expect changes in the Jets' front office after the draft. Stay tuned."

Make of it what you will.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

https://theathletic.com/author/michael-lombardi/

He's actually sort of well known, I've always considered him a bit of a weasel. He worked on NFLN for a while.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i just grabbed it from theredzone.org

5. Ralebird

Yeah, I looked some things up and added them in above and see Gased has now cited his source too. Thanks, guys. One short quote, especially without a date (was it two years ago?), from probably a much longer piece doesn't do much for me; I like to see the context and getting it from Lombardi about what he "hear(s)" as repeated in theredzone.com and then interpreted by somebody here leaves a lot of questions. I'm certainly not going to expect MacCagnan to be out the door any time soon.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Some of y'all just get hooked in so easily though.

From a rational and logical perspective, this sounds like complete BS.

I'll wait and see before freaking out over something that sounds extremely dumb. Extremely fucking stupid.

Carry on.

Attackett, K'OB and joe like this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

He was a New England Patriots coaching staff assistant as recently as 2016. . His son Mick was the Jets assistant QB coach and is now expected to join Belichick's staff.

Make of it what you will.

As for Maccagnan, while no fan of the guy it seems strange they'd give him the keys to a $100M war chest in a highly visible FA period and the #3 pick. . As for any scouting dept. shakeup, if they happen at all it's usually right after the draft. . Maccagnan's safe for 2019 only imo - after that is anyone's guess.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Great news and he should be on the hot seat. That seat should be thermal after yesterday pick. It would be really weird to see them fire him right after the draft. But they should have done it before the draft. Maybe our pick would have been different.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. boozer32

Maybe Gase complained up the chain that Williams wasn't his choice.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

They may have felt that firing him and asking someone to come in at the virtual eve of the FA period, and without having any time to prepare for the draft (like happened when Macc himself was hired), that they were better off taking a chance with Macc doing the "grocery shopping". But now that the FA and draft will be history they can fire him and move forward.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He should have been fired along with Bowles. Apparently its due to the Matt Paradis issue. Remember Mac said he’d be “comfortable” with Jonotthan Harrison as the starting center “based on how he played at the end of last year.”

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I doubt he'd be on the hotseat for just one bad decision. That may have been the "straw that broke the camel's back" though.

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Or, more likely, deep down you want to believe this is true because of your own personal bias towards the front office and Macc in particular?

...because if you play your suggestion back, it doesnt add up if you really think about it. Ya know?

boozer32 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that was the full piece and up to the minute as well BTW

15. ColoradoContrails

I'm not saying it's the smartest thing to do, but it's not unthinkable, other teams have done it, even after only a year or two. Macc has had 4 years and five drafts and FA periods to get this team right, and while I do think they've improved they're still a work in progress and not guaranteed to make the playoffs this year. Couple that with the rumors that there's already friction between Gase and he, its not going to be a shock to see Macc fired.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  16. boozer32

Bitter and want to do harm

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Which Williams?

18. boozer32

You should. It goes to character. These teams spend a fortune scouting these guys and want to know all the personal detail. If a guy is known to be going in the top 5 GM, coaches will want to meet his college coaches and family.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. boozer32

The #1 pick last night. I think Gase picked Greg Williams himself.

20. Ralebird

The entire piece written by Lombardi in the Athletic was a one line rumor with no reference as to when he heard the rumor? When did Lombardi write that?

BacktoQueens likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.